Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
McMillan would be better off as a park. As a homeowner in Ledroit Park, the closest greenspace to my house is at Meridian Hill Park.

Downtown's lack of playgrounds is hard on families - Greater Greater Washington

This poster makes a good point:

But the way you see it, I guess we need condos, condos, Starbucks, and more condos. There's no thought about where parents will take their kids to play if they do in fact decide to stay in the District. And a public park is not viewed as a treasure that will attract investment to the neighborhood. Instead it's just a patch of grass that's blocking the development of condos, condos, condos and more Radio Shacks.
Umm...unless you lied, you don't live here anymore so why do you care? Parks in the city are best incorporated into the urban fabric. I.E. pocket park. As for that article, I already read that over a month ago when it was posted. She lives basically in the middle of downtown. Where exactly does she expect a park to go? When is the last time you saw a wide open space in Midtown Manhattan? You don't have that problem where you USED to live. In fact, isn't there a park and skate park that just opened near shaw off Rhode Island? Maybe buildings downtown can start making roof top parks to go with their green roofs.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

656 posts, read 648,501 times
Quote:
The difference is that New York City was never governed by incompetent idiots like Marion Barry and Vincent Gray. .
I resent that statement--are you even aware of all that Mayor Barry did to create summer jobs for youth.

He created great programs.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Blech! Those places have no character. If I had to live in the burbs, I'd take a Pennsylvania Township over those developments any day. When I'm in the city, I want to be in city. When I'm in the burbs, I want to be in the burbs.

I can already guess the lineup of amenities those places will offer:

Chipotle
Q'doba
Five Guys
TD Bank
Potbelly's
Starbucks
Radio Shack
Wells Fargo
Bus Boys & Poets v.5
Subway
Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin' Robbins
Fuddrucker's
Au Bon Pain
McDonald's
AT&T
Clark Realty
Georgetown Valet

Yeah. Can't wait to live in that urban oasis.

Being from Philly, you would take poor, dirty, rundown dwellings over new expensive ones. It's hilarious when you try to rename dirt as "grit". LOL....funniest thing I ever heard of. Philadelphia is dirty! Simple as that! The city needs to be power washed.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When is the last time you saw a wide open space in Midtown Manhattan?

http://0.tqn.com/d/gonyc/1/0/M/e/bryant-park.JPG

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Umm...I'm talking about a park. Not a square. We have those too. Also, she lives in Penn Quarter near Gallery Place, so if you can find an area like this in Times Square, let me know....

Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Being from Philly, you would take poor, dirty, rundown dwellings over new expensive ones. It's hilarious when you try to rename dirt as "grit". LOL....funniest thing I ever heard of. Philadelphia is dirty! Simple as that! The city needs to be power washed.
You're acting like all of DC is like Georgetown and all of Philadelphia is like the Badlands. There are crappy parts of DC like Deanwood and there are really nice parts of Philadelphia like Chestnut Hill. Are there more bad parts of Philadelphia? Sure, but the city's also three times the size of Washington, DC.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Umm...I'm talking about a park. Not a square. We have those too. Also, she lives in Penn Quarter near Gallery Place, so if you can find an area like this in Times Square, let me know....
It's called "Bryant Park." You asked if I had come across any open space in Midtown Manhattan and I showed you a pic of open space in Midtown Manhattan. There's also another little piece of land that's well integrated into the urban fabric.

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/cen...rk-picture.jpg

Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
It's called "Bryant Park." You asked if I had come across any open space in Midtown Manhattan and I showed you a pic of open space in Midtown Manhattan. There's also another little piece of land that's well integrated into the urban fabric.

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/cen...rk-picture.jpg
I already know about Bryant Park. I figured you would show a picture of the only square in all of Midtown. The national mall has a carousel too for that matter. People in Midtown can get to Central Park just as easy as people downtown can get to Capitol Hill. Stop acting like people in Midtown just fall out of their high rise entrance into green space. LOL...you are being ridiculous!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM

And these "urban spaces that are well-integrated into the urban fabric" that you speak of? What are they?

The Mall? Not really. It's not tied in well with residential areas at all. Most people have to take a "trip" to the Mall to go running as opposed to simply leaving their building and jogging a few blocks over to it.

Rock Creek Park? It's not really that easy to access. If you live in a mansion off 16th Street, then yeah, it's easy to access. But for the most part, it's tucked away from the more vibrant parts of the city.

Meridian Hill Park? This is probably the best one. It's been neglected, however, and whoever allowed a highrise to obstruct the view of the Monument should be hanged.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
People in Midtown can get to Central Park just as easy as people downtown can get to Capitol Hill.
No they can't. If I'm living at 12th Avenue and 79th, I only have to walk over to 8th Ave to get to the park. If I'm a student at Columbia, a brisk 10 minute walk gets me down to Cathedral Parkway. If I'm living near Columbus Circle, the Park is pretty much right there. Even if I live in South Harlem, the Park is a very easy walk.

Getting from 7th and H to Capitol Hill is not a walk; that's a cab ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC