Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 10,545 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any strategic methods of finding a G7 job in DC? Let me start by saying that I graduated from VCU exactly a year ago tomorrow with a B.A. in Business Administration/Management. Over the past year, I have been working as a Business Development/Marketing Assistant at a publishing company in Richmond. Before that I was a Marketing Intern (from March 2010 – December 2010) at the same company. Is there any where I should be looking besides usagovjobs.com and indeed.com to find a position? Are there any career fairs in DC that can help me find a G7 position in the federal government?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
It's not a great time to be looking for government jobs to be honest with you. Many agencies have a hiring freeze and are only filling positions through excepted appointments (people already inside of government) or just leaving them vacant. In the past the best bet for new grads was to apply through the Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP) but that was abolished at the beginning of the year.

So for now if you really want to get into government I have several pieces of advice:

1) Get a contracting job. This is the only way outside hires get into my office. We work closely with a handful of contractors, some of which have excelled and were offered a position once a vacant one opened up. Most agencies here in DC are the same way. Everyone else in my office was a government employee who lived elsewhere and got promoted here.

2) Apply mainly for jobs with a LOT of vacancies (20+). There aren't many of these anymore but agencies like SSA, VA, Homeland Security and IRS still occasionally do this. These are usually claims related jobs and almost always temp or term. You won't see many of these in the DC area though. If you are open to moving anywhere just to get in, I'd encourage you to apply for large vacancy postings all over the country.

3) Wait it out. Like I said before, this is a bad time to get into government. They've been saying for years and years that the baby boomers will retire en masse and a ton of jobs will open up. But with budget cuts looming and most older workers deciding to stick it out a few more years, I think it will only be harder to get in for a good while. But eventually things will even out and I'm sure a good number of jobs will be available for outside hires.

Not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to give you a realistic picture. I think its great you want to work for government...there's a definite need for more young blood.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,545 times
Thank You BoomBoxing!

Are there any career events that are specifically for the public sector?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
May I ask what is a G7 job?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
May I ask what is a G7 job?
It is a pay level for federal government jobs. It is usually called GS (general schedule). I think it is about $34,000 per year. Depending on the job type, many college graduates start at a GS-7 or GS-9.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 AM

126 posts, read 303,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
It is a pay level for federal government jobs. It is usually called GS (general schedule). I think it is about $34,000 per year. Depending on the job type, many college graduates start at a GS-7 or GS-9.
GS-7 is around $42k now.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
sorry cant help but getting out of the SF171 GS shuffle caused my income to skyrocket. get outside the box.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
GS-7 is around $42k now.
That's it? How often do they get a raise?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM

354 posts, read 785,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
It's not a great time to be looking for government jobs to be honest with you. Many agencies have a hiring freeze and are only filling positions through excepted appointments (people already inside of government) or just leaving them vacant. In the past the best bet for new grads was to apply through the Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP) but that was abolished at the beginning of the year.

So for now if you really want to get into government I have several pieces of advice:

1) Get a contracting job. This is the only way outside hires get into my office. We work closely with a handful of contractors, some of which have excelled and were offered a position once a vacant one opened up. Most agencies here in DC are the same way. Everyone else in my office was a government employee who lived elsewhere and got promoted here.

2) Apply mainly for jobs with a LOT of vacancies (20+). There aren't many of these anymore but agencies like SSA, VA, Homeland Security and IRS still occasionally do this. These are usually claims related jobs and almost always temp or term. You won't see many of these in the DC area though. If you are open to moving anywhere just to get in, I'd encourage you to apply for large vacancy postings all over the country.

3) Wait it out. Like I said before, this is a bad time to get into government. They've been saying for years and years that the baby boomers will retire en masse and a ton of jobs will open up. But with budget cuts looming and most older workers deciding to stick it out a few more years, I think it will only be harder to get in for a good while. But eventually things will even out and I'm sure a good number of jobs will be available for outside hires.

Not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to give you a realistic picture. I think its great you want to work for government...there's a definite need for more young blood.
he pretty much summed it up. the government is not doing much hiring. when i came to my office three yrs ago its was 12 of us..folks either retired or left and they will not give us anymore bodies, its just 4 of us and 1 temp now.

i would say your best way is to get a temporary contractor job.. once you get in that job make sure you perform real well and network..if they really like you they may bring you on permanent.. i know a few people that got in that way.. it seems like everyone else here at my job got in thru nepotism lol

Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

229 posts, read 515,120 times
Don't hold your breath for the baby boomers to retire. I believe next year is when the oldest among those would be able to retire with full benefits; that is, if they even want to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC