Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
About that talking on the metro thing, I don't get the sense that people are being stuck up or antisocial. I think they don't want to impose on others. And, it's kinda intimidating for some people to talk to someone they don't know. Also, a couple of my coworkers who have spouses and kids told me that their commutes to and fro are their quiet, peaceful times when they can actually focus on reading or listening to music uninterrupted. And finally, this area is considered one of the most educated in the country. Let's face it, smart, brainy folks aren't exactly known for their social skills.

When I have chatted with people, they usual have engaged with me. Rarely do they blow me off. But there have been weird dynamics that left me wondering even I should even bother talking to people. People seem to get the wrong idea when one is open, friendly, engaging and likes to laugh.

There was one woman who thought I was trying to pick her up (uh...no, I am not a lesbian). Some men thought I was coming onto them. There was a woman who got the look when I asked her where she lived. It's not like we were standing there in silence and I just turned and said "tell me where you live". We had been chatting for 10 minutes about kitchen gadgets, moving, her job, my job, etc.

Maybe it's these weird dynamics that make people shy away from talking to others.
Maybe she thought you meant you wanted her address. Sometimes adding "what part of town" to the "tell me where you live".

I don't know I've had mixed results with starting up a conversation on the metro. Usually there is something else happening that starts the conversation. Maybe someeone drunk on the metro or a train running late yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
Let's face it, smart, brainy folks aren't exactly known for their social skills.
Hafta agree with this one. Some of these 'brainiacs' could use a few lessons on how to loosen up and have fun instead of being 'on the job' 24/7. I swear, some of the smartest people I've known here have also been the dullest socially and personality-wise. I prefer a balance - people who ARE smart/educated/'in the know' AND who also can have fun and 'let things go'.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
haha. I stand by what I wrote. I don't see why north face jackets and starbucks are bad things. It is judgemental. If you want to call me judgemental that's your right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong that opinion is.
I was agreeing with you and my comment was directed more towards the OP and those who agreed with her. It's hilarious to me how people on here can be so judgemental and say cruel things about complete strangers based on only a couple of often superficial qualities.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 PM

193 posts, read 450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Maybe she thought you meant you wanted her address. Sometimes adding "what part of town" to the "tell me where you live".
LOL! I see what you mean. But I didn't say to her "tell me where you live". I asked, "where do you live?". I thought it's an innocuous conversation topic. I suppose it needs to be properly phrased for it to appear innocuous, and not suspicious. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Hafta agree with this one. Some of these 'brainiacs' could use a few lessons on how to loosen up and have fun instead of being 'on the job' 24/7. I swear, some of the smartest people I've known here have also been the dullest socially and personality-wise. I prefer a balance - people who ARE smart/educated/'in the know' AND who also can have fun and 'let things go'.
You can have some fun with them, though. A while back I was at a party, someone asked me what I thought about the Arab Spring uprising. I asked her if Arab Spring was a cocktail drink because I'd never heard of it, and said that it must be really strong liquor for it to be causing an uprising.

I think these types see their social lives as networking opportunities as well and so they can never let go. They always need to sound impressive. Better them than me. For me, it's too exhausting to be "on" all the time.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I was agreeing with you and my comment was directed more towards the OP and those who agreed with her. It's hilarious to me how people on here can be so judgemental and say cruel things about complete strangers based on only a couple of often superficial qualities.
You were agreeing with me? Well isn't my face...brown. I don't blush but if I did boy oh boy it'd red as the Hawaiian punch sitting on my desk.

Yeah its funny no one wants to be judged for superficial things like style of dress but yet so many do it. I'm live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC