Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times

Advertisements

It seems the last thread was censored, so I guess I'll just make a new one. I think there's no greater example of what a boondoggle all of Metro's projects are than this:

Unsuck DC Metro: We Can Put a Man on the Moon, but ...

I particularly enjoyed the part where they pointed out that in NYC, they're building the Freedom Tower far quicker than it's taking Metro to build... a staircase.

Or their abysmal service on Monday following the 2 hour OPM delay:

Unsuck DC Metro: Did WMATA Fib?

And of course another shining example of the total buffoonery going in Metro's ranks:

Unsuck DC Metro: Metro is Accessible?

God I can't wait till I get a car. I'll never give another red cent to this joke of an organization if I can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,732 times
There have been days where I felt like I wanted to kick the next WMATA employee I saw in the face and tell them I'm never using their worthless service again. However, all things considered, 99/100 times I've used metro it has done exactly what I needed it for, got me to point A to point B with no issues whatsoever. I feel like some lines and travel times are better or worse than others. I take the blue line early and have had very few issues. I know people who take the red line late and are constantly complaining.

In other words, it is a large and complex system so there are going to be problems. Just like there will be days you drive right up to work in no time and days where you sit in traffic. Could WMATA be better? I am sure it could...but honestly I don't have many problems and I don't really think they are as bad as most people make them out to be. Plus, some of the constant complainers ring of a certain ugly entitled smugness that I despise about my fellow young professionals in this city.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
There have been days where I felt like I wanted to kick the next WMATA employee I saw in the face and tell them I'm never using their worthless service again. However, all things considered, 99/100 times I've used metro it has done exactly what I needed it for, got me to point A to point B with no issues whatsoever. I feel like some lines and travel times are better or worse than others. I take the blue line early and have had very few issues. I know people who take the red line late and are constantly complaining.

In other words, it is a large and complex system so there are going to be problems. Just like there will be days you drive right up to work in no time and days where you sit in traffic. Could WMATA be better? I am sure it could...but honestly I don't have many problems and I don't really think they are as bad as most people make them out to be. Plus, some of the constant complainers ring of a certain ugly entitled smugness that I despise about my fellow young professionals in this city.
This sums up my feelings as well. I do some very creative swearing when I walk into the metro and I see no arrival times even on the board, but that is overwhelmingly the minority of my experiences. Nine times out of ten, I'm at work in 20 minutes or less.

There are folks from every transit authority at the Transportation Research Board Conference right now discussing the same basic problems that they all have.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
I think Metro could go a long way towards resolving their PR problem simply by being transparent in their communications.

For example, when a train stops in the middle of a tunnel for several minutes for no apparent reason, or trains that hold just outside of a station when no train is servicing the platform--if the operator simply told passengers *why* the train wasn't moving, it would be helpful. people tend to become more frustrated when they don't understand *why* something is happening.

Also, the escalator repair and track maintenanc record is just shameful--but much of that falls on the shoulders of Richard White and John Catoe, both of whom watched the system deteriorate under their supervision yet did little to correct it. I try to give Sarles a pass as much as possible, because he really inherited a colossal mess of a system when he took over.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,885,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post

This also sums up my feelings about metro too and as much of a car nut as I am, it's nice to have the metro right around the corner if I need to do things in a hurry.

Plus you also have to realize that the US isn't a densely populated place like many European countries. That also means many places in the US will not have adequate subway systems to match global standards (well DC, NYC, Boston and Chicago is ok).

Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,999,439 times
Metro has been underfunded and cutting maintenance corners for years. We are now bearing the brunt of that misguided behavior. If we want a 1st class mass transit system we have to fund it adequately.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think Metro could go a long way towards resolving their PR problem simply by being transparent in their communications.

For example, when a train stops in the middle of a tunnel for several minutes for no apparent reason, or trains that hold just outside of a station when no train is servicing the platform--if the operator simply told passengers *why* the train wasn't moving, it would be helpful. people tend to become more frustrated when they don't understand *why* something is happening.

Also, the escalator repair and track maintenanc record is just shameful--but much of that falls on the shoulders of Richard White and John Catoe, both of whom watched the system deteriorate under their supervision yet did little to correct it. I try to give Sarles a pass as much as possible, because he really inherited a colossal mess of a system when he took over.
I've been screaming this for a while. Anybody that rides the Blue Line out to PG County can understand that frustration. They always paused between Capital Heights and Addison Road. They did it so much that I expected it.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Hurricane -
I don't know if we're riding the same subway system, but somehow I use it all the time (rush hour, weekend, late night) and hardly ever encounter problems beyond minor delays. I just read my books, get on get off, and go about my day.

I suspect when you get a car you'll soon be complaining about how horrible the road system here is (and you would not necessarily be wrong). As someone who's been on both sides of the car / subway divide, trust me when I say the grass really isn't greener.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

I find the conductors almost always announce why we're stopped - sometimes in far more detail than I really need to know.

They seem to be getting on top of the maintenance issues. I think that's a big reason for the complaints recently - the system had been neglected and now they're trying to catch up all at once, causing a lot of delays and inconveniences.

It's time for dedicated funding, though.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,790 times
I wish the stations had better lighting. There was a delay on the Blue/Orange Lines Monday evening and there were hundreds of passengers standing in the poorly lit stations waiting for an announcement as to what the problem was and when service would be resumed. I do credit the station workers for keeping people off the platforms so they wouldn't get overcrowded, but the throngs of commuters standing around like zombies in the dark station was like something in a 1980s MTV video or a Super Bowl commercial. The announcements, when made, were barely audible (the volume was high; the sound quality was poor).

Metro could be better; it could be worse. It's lousy compared to the NYC system, and I don't think it will improve until it has more secure funding and the people who work there at all levels are consistently held accountable for poor performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: