Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support the height restriction on DC being repealed?
Yes 36 45.57%
No 33 41.77%
I'm Not Sure 10 12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiz View Post
Not having skyscrapers makes DC feel like a town and not a like a city.
Feels like a city to me. Feels more like a city than Minneapolis, which does have skyscrapers. I looked up "city" in the dictionary and nowhere did it mention skyscrapers in the definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
DC has no housing shortage. It has expensive housing. Two different things. Manhattan has expensive housing too. NYC has a much larger subway system.
So how does something get expensive if there is plenty of it?

Quote:
We can easily double the population of the District without changing height rules. More rail is the solution.
Disagree, DC has the highest traffic rates in the nation with a tiny population, and with a really good rail system, that is backed by the federal government. I dont think rail or roads are the answer.

Quote:
Other models work. Frisco residential real estate is not high rise. Chicago has very limited high rise residential real estate. We haven't come close to maxing out to residential population of the District.
Are you kidding me....search craigslist for Chicago hirise, they have tons of condos (I am very intimate with Chicago).

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Feels like a city to me. Feels more like a city than Minneapolis, which does have skyscrapers. I looked up "city" in the dictionary and nowhere did it mention skyscrapers in the definition.
The definition of city says "large town", and that is what DC feels like....but not in a good way, to me it feels like a really large suburb. Very compact, and congested with a small about of people.

The American standard of city is skyscraper. You cant mention metropolis without thinking NYC and Chicago, and you cant mention city without thinking generic skyscraper.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
The definition of city says "large town", and that is what DC feels like....but not in a good way, to me it feels like a really large suburb. Very compact, and congested with a small about of people.

The American standard of city is skyscraper. You cant mention metropolis without thinking NYC and Chicago, and you cant mention city without thinking generic skyscraper.
Well don't you think you're getting caught up in aesthetics though? I mean what it looks and feels like isn't important. We all know that DC is the 8th largest metropolitan area in the country and is indeed a large city. I don't think places like U street, Dupont, K street feel like small towns based solely on the height of the buildings. Honestly the most interesting parts of many cities lack skyscrapers. I'm sorry while Midtown is interesting, Soho and the Village which has fewer (didn't say none) h-rises than Times Square is much more fascinating and has more people.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times
I can see both sides as to how DC can feel like a large town or a large city (not NYC/CHI/LA large) although I still think they need strategic urban planning and make good use of those vacant spaces inside DC. I like how Paris can still retain its charm even with having skyscrapers further out in a certain area from France's most important icon.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
So how does something get expensive if there is plenty of it?
People with more money than you want to live here.

Quote:
Disagree, DC has the highest traffic rates in the nation
DC doesn't Washington MSA does.

Quote:
Are you kidding me....search craigslist for Chicago hirise, they have tons of condos (I am very intimate with Chicago).
I went to school in Chicago. Very little residential real estate is high rise.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
People with more money than you want to live here.
Is that the only reason??? People randomly price up something even when there are tons of availability of a resource?

DC needs more homes, prices are not high in DC "just because".....

Quote:
DC doesn't Washington MSA does.
Sure.....

Quote:
I went to school in Chicago. Very little residential real estate is high rise.
Very little compared to what? I am talking about today, not when you were there. There are TONS of high rise units in downtown Chicago compared to DC. Its really nice to see people live in the city, and bike/walk to work.

Commuting is not the option and leads to a degredation of life.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Well I think higher incomes due to the higher education is also part of why DC prices are so high. The market will have prices as high as bearable. People here make more money and therefore can afford to $500K for a tiny little rowhouse. I know I'm not one of them but as mentioned there are plenty of people in DC that make more money than me.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Is that the only reason??? People randomly price up something even when there are tons of availability of a resource?

DC needs more homes, prices are not high in DC "just because".....

Sure.....
Sorry you don't like the answer, but new high-rise housing will not be cheaper than what is here now.

Quote:
Very little compared to what? I am talking about today, not when you were there. There are TONS of high rise units in downtown Chicago compared to DC. Its really nice to see people live in the city, and bike/walk to work.

Commuting is not the option and leads to a degredation of life.
There are about 50 high to medium rise residential buildings in Chicago. 2000 is a ton.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
I agree with GGW's take on it Old buildings are the key to affordability - Greater Greater Washington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: