U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,982 times

Advertisements

I received notice in the mail that i got a parking ticket in Washington DC and owed them 30 dollars. The date of the parking ticket was the day before I had surgery, I know exactly where i was and was no where near Washington DC, in fact I haven't been to Washington DC in several years. I live in Pennsylvania and rarely leave the state.

I appealed the ticket, and was denied saying my plate my ticket

the ticket has my plate on it, but also has HONDA as the make of the car, i have never owned a HONDA

There is no next step unless I want an in-person hearing in DC, so they want a 71 year old man with medical issues to travel to Washington DC for a 30 dollar ticket.

I asked in the appeal to prove that it was my Pennsylvanian license plate, and got no response.

Do not know what my next move is here....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM

128 posts, read 259,195 times
1) Are you sure it's a REAL parking violation ticket from DC. There are scammers who send out hundreds of fake letters across the country in hopes someone falls for it and "pays the fine" just for piece of mind.

You can check here to call the parking authority and ensure the ticket is real, then ask what you can do about it:

http://www.eztag-dcdpw.com:8080/mesc...omerPortal.jsp

or

Ticketing

2) Do you plan to visit DC in the next decade? if No, forget about it.

3) If you really want to sleep soundly and the ticket it legit. Pay it.
How much is it in gas to drive down and fight it? If you are over 100 miles away, gas and tolls alone will exede the value of the ticket. That's not including snacks along the way!

How much is a day or two of your life worth - are you willing to lose a vacation day or other day's pay equivalent?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,755,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
1) Are you sure it's a REAL parking violation ticket from DC. There are scammers who send out hundreds of fake letters across the country in hopes someone falls for it and "pays the fine" just for piece of mind.

You can check here to call the parking authority and ensure the ticket is real, then ask what you can do about it:

MES Command Center

or

Ticketing

2) Do you plan to visit DC in the next decade? if No, forget about it.

3) If you really want to sleep soundly and the ticket it legit. Pay it.
How much is it in gas to drive down and fight it? If you are over 100 miles away, gas and tolls alone will exede the value of the ticket. That's not including snacks along the way!

How much is a day or two of your life worth - are you willing to lose a vacation day or other day's pay equivalent?
If I am not mistaken, DC DMV will cross check with other states, meaning that ticket can double/triple and when it comes time to register your vehicle, you can be made to pay for the ticket which could have tripled by then, on top of his regular registration costs-

Also they may suspend your tags in your home state for non payment, But I do agree that this may be a scam, or he may be the victim of theft. It is very well possible his tags were stolen and replaced, or some other crazy scenario-

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,370,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacriminal View Post

I asked in the appeal to prove that it was my Pennsylvanian license plate, and got no response.

Do not know what my next move is here....
You've handled the appeal incorrectly. You needed to show that the license plates were issued to another vehicle than the one described in the ticket. Your options at this point may be pretty limited.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM

128 posts, read 259,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
If I am not mistaken, DC DMV will cross check with other states, meaning that ticket can double/triple and when it comes time to register your vehicle, you can be made to pay for the ticket which could have tripled by then, on top of his regular registration costs-

Also they may suspend your tags in your home state for non payment, But I do agree that this may be a scam, or he may be the victim of theft. It is very well possible his tags were stolen and replaced, or some other crazy scenario-

I hate to sound grim, but at 71 years old and having major surgery, I suspect the OP may not be looking at doing much driving in the future. My best advice is to sell the car to a relative and turn in the plates before the database catches up to his state.

Best wishes to you notacriminal. I hope your recovery is rapid and a good part of physical therapy is to get back into walking vs. driving.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,670 times
Default Got Washinton, DC Parking ticket-Havent been to DC

Yesterday (5-4-2013), by mail, I received a $200 parking ticket for parking in a bus zone on Constitution Ave. in Washington, DC at the end of March, 2013. I haven't been to Washington, DC in years. I have two cars. They have my license plate number for one of the cars, but the license plate number they listed is on my other car which is a different make, model, year, and color. This was the Thursday evening before Easter weekend. And my cars and my whole family were all home because we were off on Good Friday. I cannont over emphasize the point that: I HAVE NOT BEEN TO DC IN MANY YEARS!

I am going to call tomorrow. It has a number listed to call about an appeal.

Letter says: Mail check to DC Treasurer, P.O. Box 2014, Washington, DC 20013-2014.

The letter, website, seems legit. Is someone running a scam? Does anyone know how this could happen?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,370,851 times
Take pictures of car, photocopy registration, explain error. The traffic adjudication group works off data so send them data,

Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM

8,013 posts, read 10,581,035 times
i don't think you should waste anymore of
your precious time and energy fighting a 30
dollar ticket so far away. it's not even worth
the aggravation.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 10,670 times
Default Wasn't in DC, but got a ticket

My ticket is for $200, not $30. Plus, I have not been to Washington, DC for many years. The "notice of unsatisfied parking ticket" said I parked on Constitution Ave in a bus space on March 28, 2013. Neither, me, my car, nor my license plate was any where near DC. They have my license plate number, but it does not match the make of the car listed on the ticket.

Writer74
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC