Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
The two "S**t people in DC Say" videos encapsulates everything you want to know about DC.

The first video represents the interests and behavior of the white yuppie, transplant class. So superficial. So divorced from the reality of suffering that goes on daily.

The second video (supposedly) represents the interests and behavior of the poor black female in DC. It would have more authenticity if there was a female doing the mocking.

And folks...there's not much in between in The District. White and black people in The District do not speak the same "language". They do not share the same world even though only a zip code separates them.

The yuppie transplants care about brunches and the Friday food truck run while the DC natives who don't have a job worry if they will have dinner tonight.
It's so cute how in your binary world all white people in DC are rich yuppies with ample disposable income and all black people are poor and struggling for every dime.

And yet, if you actually lived in the city you'd know that black people fill up club after club, restaurant after restaurant, dropping far more money on food and drink than a whole lot of white people who live here could dream of spending.

Black people also organize brunches for our group on the regular. You know we have one of the largest black middle / upper middle classes in the country here, right? They don't need you to hold their hand, coldbliss.

Also of interest is how you label the white people universally superficial, even though many live pretty spartan lives and work in various ways for issues beyond their bottom line. Meanwhile, the portion of black people who obsess over the latest Jordans or spinners, or spend their days in hair and nail salons, somehow get repurposed in your bizarro worldview as noble and deep.

Silly silly silly. Your blind bigotry undermines your intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 AM

146 posts, read 374,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's so cute how in your binary world all white people in DC are rich yuppies with ample disposable income and all black people are poor and struggling for every dime.

And yet, if you actually lived in the city you'd know that black people fill up club after club, restaurant after restaurant, dropping far more money on food and drink than a whole lot of white people who live here could dream of spending.

Black people also organize brunches for our group on the regular. You know we have one of the largest black middle / upper middle classes in the country here, right? They don't need you to hold their hand, coldbliss.

Also of interest is how you label the white people universally superficial, even though many live pretty spartan lives and work in various ways for issues beyond their bottom line. Meanwhile, the portion of black people who obsess over the latest Jordans or spinners, or spend their days in hair and nail salons, somehow get repurposed in your bizarro worldview as noble and deep.

Silly silly silly. Your blind bigotry undermines your intelligence.
Yeh I am not sure what coldbliss is talking about. I see a good amount of professional black people in DC driving the flashiest cars on the road and spending the most money on bottle service at the clubs while wearing expensive watches. They also like to spend a ton of money at brunches. I think the video just shows the cultural differences, between rich professional not only white because there are many asian and indian professionals in this city vs local black culture.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
lol this guy got it

**** DC Girls Say - YouTube
They got most of it, but they should have said something about getting some Jordans, North Face and getting mumbo sauce.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
This had me DTFL

Old 03-03-2015, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,640 times
People in DC and B-More talk southern as Hell! They try so hard to claim the "Northeast" card but we all know they're not! Got love for DC but I hate the over rated cocky **** they be on, how can you down play your Metropolitan when ya live in the same Metro...but on to the accents in DC Lmao **** sounds like a twist of ATL, Chicago, and BMore all in One

Old 03-03-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee wise View Post
People in DC and B-More talk southern as Hell! They try so hard to claim the "Northeast" card but we all know they're not! Got love for DC but I hate the over rated cocky **** they be on, how can you down play your Metropolitan when ya live in the same Metro...but on to the accents in DC Lmao **** sounds like a twist of ATL, Chicago, and BMore all in One
I find the thought of us "trying hard" to sound like particular region laughable. Can't speak for Bmore people though.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There was no mention of Happy Hour. So it's completely INACCURATE lol.
yeah, or Charity Networking Events!

Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I find the thought of us "trying hard" to sound like particular region laughable. Can't speak for Bmore people though.
I know and see where you come from but you have to understand where that poster is coming from. It goes back to even me constantly bring up the "reaching" aspect. It's like whenever you bring up something about DC not having something, someone has to quickly reach for something that isn't even remotely on the same level but hold it up and say, "we have this" simply to "feel inclusive", rather than owning up to and excepting what DC has or doesnt'. Not speaking of you in particular but in general it happens often. so that is where the point of trying hard comes from. As a local, I don't hold it against you to try to relate, you simply wouldn't be able to see it. And if you did, you wouldn't admit to it and nor should you.

It's all perception but as a local, you don't see it. Others that have been uprooted from a different culture see it totally differently. As example, I could tell you that you resemble so and so based on your mannerism and facial expressions. You could deny it all you want but my perception is as such based on the little details that perhaps you or others may not be able to pick up.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:02 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee wise View Post
DC and Baltimore is not the doggone south.......DC locals can be friendly like southerners and Bmore people can be a lil more chill compared to their counterparts further north but it aint the south....and DC people dont try to imitate anyone......and they sound NOTHING like people in Chicago, Chicago blacks talk like they just got off the bus from mississipi lol but serious

Old 03-11-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
DC and Baltimore is not the doggone south.......DC locals can be friendly like southerners and Bmore people can be a lil more chill compared to their counterparts further north but it aint the south....and DC people dont try to imitate anyone......and they sound NOTHING like people in Chicago, Chicago blacks talk like they just got off the bus from mississipi lol but serious
Great post but I think dude was probably some drive-by poster. Haven't seen that bamma since he posted in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC