U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: the wrong side of the tracks Richmond, VA
585 posts, read 1,823,533 times
Reputation: 788

Advertisements

Before I moved to SE, I stalked these forums to make sure I wasn't making a huge mistake. Because what others have said was helpful (and not), I hope someone else considering SE will read this and get a sense of what it's actually like.

Some of what I read here was a joke (really, you're a gangsta with an Internet connection who registered for a local forum to talk about how gangsta you are?) and some was useful. Inevitably, I made the decision to move here. Note that "east of the river" covers a large part of land bigger than "SE" but my particular microcosm of SE is awesome.

I get a lot more than what other people in this town get for way fewer actual dollars. My energy costs are low because I live in a compact but really comfortable space.

Our building is a renovated relic and I realize I lucked out. Someone decided years ago that this area was worth investing in and to them I say thank you. I love my apartment.

I have a washer and dryer. In my unit. Do you?

I get a parking space. Like it's mine. No one else can park there. It's secured so only other people who have parking spaces there can get in, therefore the threat of hoodrats is low. Still, I have a premium Viper system installed on my car, it isn't rocket science. The car alarm pages me if hoodrats dispatch themselves to my vehicle so I can go out there with a baseball bat. Note: hoodrats are dormant in winter so you don't have to worry as much that they'll pop your locks when it's cold out.

People talk to each other. This is the weirdest part. Neighbors want to get to know you and want to know what you're doing. Everyone has been nice, I don't expect any less. This may come as a shock to some on these boards but people east of the river go to work and pay taxes and get junk mail and pay speeding camera fines and do everything else that everyone else in this town does. I know, it's a revolutionary idea.

The negative? No retail options. Like nothing. I drive over to Maryland or shop near work in the Maryland suburbs for most of what I need. And forget Metro. It isn't happening. I'm not even taking the green line, let alone walking home from it. There are no bars, no corner markets, no places to hang out and show off your iPad. I kind of like that about this area. People are humble about what they have.

So far I have yet to see someone get shot. My project neighbors use a truck backseat as their patio furniture but that doesn't personally disturb me because my actual apartment is amazing.

And I can afford to live my life the way I want to in this town for minimal actual effort on my part. That said, I work my a** off. Constantly. I have two jobs and am constantly on the hustle so this part of town works for me. I don't have the luxury of cruising NW bars, I have to have my head down reading in the evening to figure out what to write about the next day. I admire people who desire the freedom of bar crawls within the vicinity of their living space but for me it's just not useful. I work most hours I'm not sleeping. A superb space to think in is essential for me and I have that in this notoriously chaotic part of town. It's not that bad. Sirens every now and then, who doesn't have that?

Note: I lucked out. I don't believe my unit is the norm over here. I don't know what kind of apartment mojo I cashed in when I moved to DC but I'm grateful for it. Your actual results may vary.

Treat people with a minimum of respect and they will give you the same. I'm the kind of person who goes out of my way to talk to people so this is the kind of neighborhood someone like me thrives in. My neighbors do all kinds of exciting things like go to school, work real estate, write for the Washington Post...

It might not be the right neighborhood to raise kids in and it certainly isn't for everyone but it's fun for a writer who just wants a safe, cat-friendly place to park her car and some lively interactions at the local CVS.

I hope that clears it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM
 
Location: London, NYC, DC
1,118 posts, read 2,075,732 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Before I moved to SE, I stalked these forums to make sure I wasn't making a huge mistake. Because what others have said was helpful (and not), I hope someone else considering SE will read this and get a sense of what it's actually like.

Some of what I read here was a joke (really, you're a gangsta with an Internet connection who registered for a local forum to talk about how gangsta you are?) and some was useful. Inevitably, I made the decision to move here. Note that "east of the river" covers a large part of land bigger than "SE" but my particular microcosm of SE is awesome.
Um, no. At least 75% of EOTR land in DC is part of SE, while SE encompasses all of that in addition to Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, and Hill East/Barney Circle. These are very different neighborhoods, and by conflating SE and EOTR, you're being unfair to all of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: the wrong side of the tracks Richmond, VA
585 posts, read 1,823,533 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Um, no. At least 75% of EOTR land in DC is part of SE, while SE encompasses all of that in addition to Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, and Hill East/Barney Circle. These are very different neighborhoods, and by conflating SE and EOTR, you're being unfair to all of them.
That is true, which is why I said my particular section rules. If I were to be any more specific, I might as well post my actual address.

I was speaking specifically about east of the river SE, which I thought was clear. I hear SW isn't so bad but that's off topic and nothing I have experience with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM
 
2,055 posts, read 3,161,823 times
Reputation: 2301
Which specific neighborhood do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
 
350 posts, read 695,788 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post

People talk to each other. This is the weirdest part. Neighbors want to get to know you and want to know what you're doing. Everyone has been nice, I don't expect any less. This may come as a shock to some on these boards but people east of the river go to work and pay taxes and get junk mail and pay speeding camera fines and do everything else that everyone else in this town does. I know, it's a revolutionary idea.

The negative? No retail options. Like nothing. I drive over to Maryland or shop near work in the Maryland suburbs for most of what I need. And forget Metro. It isn't happening. I'm not even taking the green line, let alone walking home from it. There are no bars, no corner markets, no places to hang out and show off your iPad. I kind of like that about this area. People are humble about what they have.
yea everytime i hear people say DC residents are arrogant, self-absorded, non-friendly, only care about status and professions..i tell em to come to my side of town. its much easier to find a friend in the hood than in dupont lol.. its a different atmosphere in SE tho, much slower pace then NW
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 AM
 
220 posts, read 502,221 times
Reputation: 77
Interesting to hear your account. It wouldn't work for me, as I value a walkable neighborhood and don't own a car, but I'm glad to hear it is working out well for you. I have spent some time east of the river, and I do recommend that those who live west of the river to venture east of the river at some point for the sake of not being ignorant about what is over there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: the wrong side of the tracks Richmond, VA
585 posts, read 1,823,533 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Which specific neighborhood do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
Washington Highlands technically, I guess, though I've never heard anyone actually call it that except Washington Post reporters and real estate agents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
 
83 posts, read 115,591 times
Reputation: 106
that part of Ward 8 was always interesting to me because it has a very suburban feel yet has lots of concentrated housing, which sucks for the residents. There are some nice new developments in congress heights, but a lot of it is still pretty drug infested (especially around wahler pl, condon terrace, 6th, 4th st, savannah, etc.).

In Ward 8, save for a few tiny strips, they dont even have hood corner stores! You have to have a car or take the bus just to get to ANY retail. Hell at least in West Baltimore or the south side of chicago you have corner stores everywhere within walking distance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
48 posts, read 96,936 times
Reputation: 39
As a native of Ward 7 let me go ahead and say that anything EoTR is country and ghetto...... I call it gountry. Nothing but a bunch of folks who love to stretch their r's in errrrrrrrrrry word and play that trash called GoGo. Only six sit down restaurants in that whole section of city and even then most of them always have police in their because people can't behave.

Rant over....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
 
83 posts, read 115,591 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiz View Post
As a native of Ward 7 let me go ahead and say that anything EoTR is country and ghetto...... I call it gountry. Nothing but a bunch of folks who love to stretch their r's in errrrrrrrrrry word and play that trash called GoGo. Only six sit down restaurants in that whole section of city and even then most of them always have police in their because people can't behave.

Rant over....

HAHA "gountry", i like that. EOTR is definitely interesting and very different from uptown.I would say uptown hoods are way more east coast inner city looking, while the southside (and NE EOTR) has way more of a slow country feel.

But Go-go is not trash and I'm proud of that music and it's definitely popular uptown as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top