U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,929 times

Advertisements

Hello:

Will be moving to DC from Atlanta, and am looking at rentals near Catholic U and Howard U. Proximity to Metro is of utmost importance as I will not have nor want to get a car.

How is the area between Rhode Island Ave and Franklin St NE. It seems to be closest to the Rhode Island Metro Station.
Is it safe to live here?
What do the rentals run?
Is there shopping close by? Target / Grocery / Pharmacy

thanks
...ST
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 AM

83 posts, read 115,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steuerzutot View Post
Hello:

Will be moving to DC from Atlanta, and am looking at rentals near Catholic U and Howard U. Proximity to Metro is of utmost importance as I will not have nor want to get a car.

How is the area between Rhode Island Ave and Franklin St NE. It seems to be closest to the Rhode Island Metro Station.
Is it safe to live here?
What do the rentals run?

thanks
...ST

It's hard to tell you if it's a safe area without knowing your comfort level and what kind of area you're used to in Atlanta. I don't consider that area bad, it's quiet most of the time. However, there are some projects a couple blocks down off Montana, so you will see some shady characters, but honestly, as long as you're not into their activities you'll be fine.

You have a lot of retail right off Rhode Island avenue. For grocery, right by RI/Franklin there are some typical corner stores for quick stuff, but Giant supermarket is right by the Metro station and it will have everything you need. For a pharmacy, if memory serves correctly I'm pretty sure there's a Rite-Aid on the same block as Franklin and RI.

You would have to check craigslist for today's rental market in that area. The reason I say that is I used to live near there before gentrification and the influx of moneyed professionals, so rents I'm sure have gone up a lot since I left that area in 2005 - lots of new upscale housing has been built there since then. However, it's probably still reasonably priced (by expensive dc standards) compared to areas closer to downtown.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 AM

220 posts, read 502,883 times
Yea, I'd classify this area as not the best, not the worst. If you're looking for a certain type of really trendy young professionals neighborhood, this isn't it. However, it isn't a terrible neighborhood either.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM

115 posts, read 247,377 times
What the other folks have said: Decent neighborhood, relatively cheap. Probably not for long considering all of the condos going up next to the RI Ave metro station.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,817 times
Default Area on the rise

I live in the area and its going through a serious transition. For the most part the area is comprised of single family detached homes. There are new apartments that are being constructed right at the Rhode Island Metro. That complex promises to bring some more shops. Currently, a CVS is slated. There is a Giant, Home Depot, TJMaxx, CitiBank and TD Bank located right there. The area really lacks nice sit down restaurants, but I have hopes that will change in the next year or two. Also, if you can look closer to Catholic U near the Brookland Metro, more rental choices and a new development under construction promises new retail as well as more apartments. If you will be commuting to Howard or CUA both locations are good for bus transporatation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steuerzutot View Post
Hello:

Is it safe to live here?
What do the rentals run?

thanks
...ST

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM

938 posts, read 3,819,356 times
How does one condo development make that area "on the rise?" There are zero cafes, nice restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. It is pretty much a desert. That TOD at the Metro would have happen either way, given its proximity to Downtown. Not dissing the area or anything, but I am there on a fairly regular basis, and nothing about it screams "on the rise," especially not with those terribly un-urban and and low-end chain-dominated shopping centers.

Not to mention, the intersection of Rhode Island and 4th St., NE (where a new condo building just opened) is the most problematic and crime-infested intersection in the whole 5D police district. Hopefully, though, that area will catch on. It makes too much sense not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC