Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,054 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I’ve been living in the area for a bit now, but my commute is really getting in the way of me actually meeting people or doing anything interesting during the week. Does anyone know anything about the apartments in NOMA, particularly Flats 130? They've caught my eye, but I'm wary about paying so much (~$2,000 and up) if the apartment isn't actually worth it.

I’ve read all the reviews I can find online, but I was hoping maybe someone had more experiences they could share.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,291,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy19 View Post
Hi all,

I’ve been living in the area for a bit now, but my commute is really getting in the way of me actually meeting people or doing anything interesting during the week. Does anyone know anything about the apartments in NOMA, particularly Flats 130? They've caught my eye, but I'm wary about paying so much (~$2,000 and up) if the apartment isn't actually worth it.

I’ve read all the reviews I can find online, but I was hoping maybe someone had more experiences they could share.

Thanks!
I don't live in NoMa, but it's definitely growing quite quickly. Your biggest advantage will be the ground-level Harris Teeter and the Metro on the same block. If you travel a lot by train, you're a quick walk to Union Station. At the same time, NoMa is pretty close to much of the action Downtown, albeit a bit of a walk (you'll definitely Metro it if it's not particularly warm). I will say it's new and therefore somewhat sterile, but give the area some time. There are certainly far worse places to be, but get in while you can because rents are just going to go up as more people see the advantages of the neighborhood. Not to mention you're right near H Street…

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM

218 posts, read 362,900 times
What area is NoMa?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM

938 posts, read 4,099,767 times
^Generally, it is the new area located to the north of Union Station and Mass Ave, east of North Capitol, to the west of the Metro/MARC/Amtrak tracks, and south of New York Avenue. An extension of Downtown, it has only recently been developed, and it is characterized by glassy office (and, increasingly, residential) buildings that feel somewhat sterile and corporate in feel.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 AM

160 posts, read 280,075 times
They are doing some major construction right next to the Flats, so that might be a concern during the day. I know someone that lives there, and they like it pretty well. The area is growing FAST.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,159,811 times
$1750-$2000 for a 500 square foot apartment? Does that even include utilities or is that just straight up rent?

If that's the going rate for studios in DC, then I'm probably going to make some money when I end up renting my condo out to someone. Despite reading up on all the amenities, at the end of the day that price is outrageous and it doesn't include utilities. And it's not even a good area! NoMa!? Are these the flats that are right next to the metro station?

Last edited by DomRep; 03-07-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,896,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy19 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
It seems like a nice building but really for 2k, I'd want to be in a more desirable area. Not that NoMa is "bad" it's just that you have a budget that allows for some of DC's more happening neighborhoods. It makes more sense to buy in an up and coming area like NoMa or Navy Yard than it does to rent there. IMHO, if you're going to rent, you may as well live in the best/most convenient area your money can get, or in a place cheap enough to save a decent amount of money. Doesn't seem like this place really meets either.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM

100 posts, read 162,723 times
^ agreed does not appear there is any discount for renting in D.C.'s "up and coming" spots. Saw apts next to the rhode island ave metro that were just as, if not more expensive (though looked real nice)

Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,159,811 times
Are these new condos going up, do they come with mail order brides as well? For 2 grand a month, what are you getting? It's definitely not location, NoMa is sketch. Spare me the up and coming, it's going to take another 2-3 years. Rhode Island Avenue NE is sketch as well (and ironically enough, I've got 2 or 3 friends moving there within the next month)

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,291,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Are these new condos going up, do they come with mail order brides as well? For 2 grand a month, what are you getting? It's definitely not location, NoMa is sketch. Spare me the up and coming, it's going to take another 2-3 years. Rhode Island Avenue NE is sketch as well (and ironically enough, I've got 2 or 3 friends moving there within the next month)
Rhode Island Avenue NE isn't even in NoMa, it's in Eckington (I'm assuming you're talking about the stretch between North Capitol and the Red Line). Yes, parts of NoMa are still suspect, particularly near Sursum Corda, but overall the area is fine nowadays, albeit still rough around the edges. Are there even any condos in the neighborhood? A part of me thinks they're all rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC