Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

I am trying to recollect where I was in DC over a decade ago.. and have a few places, if anyone can direct me.

I went to this record shop called Yoshi Toshi, what neighborhood is that in?

I also went to this club night called BUZZ @ some warehouse club, I think called Nation.

Then to some Denny's that wasn't far from there.

Where exactly in DC was I?!

Those are two of the few things I can remember.

I also remember going to some shopping center in Alexandria, which was loaded with asian restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:50 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,279 times
The record shop YOSHI TOSHI you are talking about was on M Street NW.
It is no longer there. I think the owners still have a recording studio in there somewhere but I have not been there in years so I do not know if you can still pick up records directly from the entrance to their recording studio or if they just sell online only now.

The club you are talking about CAPITOL BALLROOM was on Half Street SE and it is also no longer there. Myself and others I know who used to frequent that area back in the days are now boycotting it entirely. Without getting into specifics lets just say I have NEVER attended a National's baseball game over at the new baseball stadium and I NEVER will. I hope the Washington Nationals never have a winning season. EVER.

As far as Alexandria goes you are going to have to be more specific.
Was there a bowling alley nearby?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Ah buzz.... that was a long time ago. I loved that place - dirty, simple, cheap. Back then it was really important not to go on the wrong night though... big difference between Friday and Saturday.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

354 posts, read 785,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
The club you are talking about CAPITOL BALLROOM was on Half Street SE and it is also no longer there. Myself and others I know who used to frequent that area back in the days are now boycotting it entirely. Without getting into specifics lets just say I have NEVER attended a National's baseball game over at the new baseball stadium and I NEVER will. I hope the Washington Nationals never have a winning season. EVER.
care to elaborate...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM

92 posts, read 141,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am trying to recollect where I was in DC over a decade ago.. and have a few places, if anyone can direct me.

I went to this record shop called Yoshi Toshi, what neighborhood is that in?

I also went to this club night called BUZZ @ some warehouse club, I think called Nation.

Then to some Denny's that wasn't far from there.

Where exactly in DC was I?!

Those are two of the few things I can remember.

I also remember going to some shopping center in Alexandria, which was loaded with asian restaurants.
You might be talking about the Denny's on benning road and east capitol, that's probably the closest. If you haven't been to DC in a decade, you won't recognize anything. New neighborhoods have been "discovered" (as if people hadn't been living there since forever).

You're definitely talking about Nation/capitol ballroom. That was always a fun place, I remember seeing Jay-Z and Scarface there before they were big time. That neighborhood was basically bulldozed and now it's the home to Nationals park, cookie-cutter office buildings and condos.

I will say it's much safer now, although bland, sterile and boring. It was somewhat sad to see some of the old structures go (that was a very old part of DC).

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
care to elaborate...
It was redeveloped along with a lot of stuff around the ballpark. I think an office building took its place.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Oh man, that makes me sad indeed. Sorry to hear about that. I have some images in my head and could probably walk around there, I just didn't have a clue where I was as my friends were taking me there. And nope, I haven't been to DC since 2001, I was there a week before the 9/11 attacks so I'm sure things have changed in more ways than one. I was planning on making an east coast trip this summer and checking out some old places but, I guess if they got bulldozed, that would be hard!

@chicagotodc Yes, that was one of the best clubs I have been in... Just simple open air warehouse, big, lots of people, how it is supposed to be... good times.

How is the M Street area these days? I remember it looked cool from an urban standpoint, good amount of people walking about, but also remember one of the CRAZIEST Crack head ladies I've ever seen (and i've seen some crack heads) out there rambling on the street.

Last edited by grapico; 03-13-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM

102 posts, read 187,877 times
Nation/Buzz was a huge staple in my early to mid 20s! I do miss that place too. I went almost every weekend for a few years until it closed in 05.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC