U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM

54 posts, read 99,355 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation; I am in my early 20s and I have been going to many situations for the past 5 years. Throughout those 5 years I have let many people go since they showed their true colors to me. Now I am at a point where most of the day im alone, not that its a bad thing but the loneliness gets to me. Ive stooped down to a low where i tried going on craigslist to meet people and that was a total failure.

With that said, what are some good places in the DC area to socialize.

I'm not a drinker so bars are out of the question and I dont really like the club scene so that is also out of the picture. What other options are left for me?? Am I doomed to be alone since i dont like the activites the majority of my age bracket enjoys doing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 597,149 times
Where are you originally from?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 PM

102 posts, read 176,931 times
have you tried meetup.com? what about sports? softball, kickball, frisbee? photography group? what are your hobbies and interests maybe that will help?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM

I don't have a "place" I'm originally from. I was born in California and have moved all around Virginia growing up before I left to live in DC. The closest thing to "hometown" I have is Arlington Virginia, but that was so long ago (the 90's) so I don't even call it my "hometown" anymore since most of the old neighborhoods were gentrified.

As far as sports, haven't really found any type of club in my area. The closest thing I had found to something that interested me was this car meet in Upper Marlboro, Maryland but the fact that most of those cars were "donks" made it hard for me to be able to really share much in common I'm not a big fan of donks but I do drive American cars. I also went to some import tuner meets but it's awkward having a tuned domestic car and nobody really knows what to talk to you about since they don't know much about domestics.

My interests are cars, electronics, things of the sort.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,139,843 times
Try meetup.com and join a group that you like.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Am I doomed to be alone since i dont like the activites the majority of my age bracket enjoys doing?
Yes, but look at it this way...

When you are in your late 20s and early 30s you are going to be glad you did not attach yourself to or marry a female in your age bracket. There will be plenty of females in the early 20s age bracket to pay attention to and by then the females of your age bracket will have become a distant memory.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM

8,013 posts, read 10,493,345 times
church i guess, son.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Yes, but look at it this way...

When you are in your late 20s and early 30s you are going to be glad you did not attach yourself to or marry a female in your age bracket. There will be plenty of females in the early 20s age bracket to pay attention to and by then the females of your age bracket will have become a distant memory.
So you're telling me to wait till I'm 30 then socialize with people that are younger than me?

I'll be honest, either I'm getting the wrong message or somethings not clicking.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
So you're telling me to wait till I'm 30 then socialize with people that are younger than me?

I'll be honest, either I'm getting the wrong message or somethings not clicking.
Sometimes you just dont click with the people in your age bracket.
In my case I always used to hang with people who were a lot older than me. I did not get involved with the older females they were just my friends. I prefer to get involved with females who are younger than me.

You dont have to wait though. Keep trying until you finally click with someone.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM

4,171 posts, read 6,033,592 times
Nas, try these organizations

First Class, Inc. - Your Center for Lifelong Learning

http://Smithsonianassociates.org

http://www.svdc.org

Ski Club of Washington, DC (SCWDC)

Potomac Pedalers

Sierra Club: The Washington, DC Chapter

Washington Women Outdoors Home

http://CapitalHikingClub.org

Homepage of the Center Hiking Club.

Wanderbirds Hiking Club Washington DC

Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: