Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM

102 posts, read 188,065 times

Advertisements

I went over there today for the first time in a while and it seems like so many things have closed. the gap was closed, and a bunch of other stores along wisconsin. then the mall there, was like a ghost town. 95% everything closed. it was kind of depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,704 times
I cannot even remember the last time I was over there. 8 years perhaps.
I dont know. Its has been a very long time.
Compared to what it used to be, yes it is very dead.
The sky high store rents dont help either.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,289,067 times
The Georgetown Mall is going away; they're redeveloping it into something else.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 AM

837 posts, read 1,799,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
The Georgetown Mall is going away; they're redeveloping it into something else.
Really? Do you know into what? That things been there forever

Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,474,216 times
I noticed the Georgetown mall was completely shut down! The other stores seem fine to me--at least the ones I care about, lol.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM

89 posts, read 274,923 times
noticed the same thing...went around Christmas, my favorite time of the year, and a lot of stores were shut down, especially inside the mall. The streets seemed less crowded...Georgetown Cupcake still had a line down the block though!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:05 PM

66 posts, read 125,662 times
I read online that they were supposed to be renovating the space, which has been a dead spot on M Street for a while. There has been talk of a Target going into the space and/ or a Bloomingdale's. There is also rumor that Barnes & Noble is going to return to M Street this summer. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM

566 posts, read 1,559,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustHaveCoffee View Post
I read online that they were supposed to be renovating the space, which has been a dead spot on M Street for a while. There has been talk of a Target going into the space and/ or a Bloomingdale's. There is also rumor that Barnes & Noble is going to return to M Street this summer. We'll have to wait and see.
A Target in Georgetown? Yup, the neighborhood has changed.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

229 posts, read 515,504 times
The whole area is long in the tooth as far as shopping is concerned, not to mention the crowd today is different than the crowd that used to occupy Georgetown back in its heyday. DC’s transient population isn’t going to complement high rent costs with overpriced boujie apparel, and yuppies wouldn’t buy most of the crap anyway.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
The whole area is long in the tooth as far as shopping is concerned, not to mention the crowd today is different than the crowd that used to occupy Georgetown back in its heyday. DC’s transient population isn’t going to complement high rent costs with overpriced boujie apparel, and yuppies wouldn’t buy most of the crap anyway.
Yes there is lot of false advertising out there about the shopping options in this entire area. Beware.

Quote:
What's going on in georgetown?
Answer to the original question of this thread: Not much of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC