Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,041 times

Advertisements

I just moved to DC and I'm big on entertainment. What are the best stores to buy movies, music, and books in the city? Preferably closer to Georgetown, which is where I live. And I'm more into older stuff, not so much new releases. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
Amazon.com.
Seriously, most of those kinds of stores have closed down, as I suspect is the case in most cities around the country.
If you like collecting vinyl there are still some independent record stores around U St and Adams Morgan.
I do miss being able to browse in stores, but buying stuff online is so convenient I can see why these kinds of stores are going the way of the dodo.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Well there's still Kramerbooks on Connecticut Avenue in Dupont. There's also Barnes and Noble in Georgetown.

People like myself have killed the book and music store. I love my kindle and just put my music on my iphone.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Amazon.com.
Seriously, most of those kinds of stores have closed down, as I suspect is the case in most cities around the country.
If you like collecting vinyl there are still some independent record stores around U St and Adams Morgan.
I do miss being able to browse in stores, but buying stuff online is so convenient I can see why these kinds of stores are going the way of the dodo.
Dude, I was about to post the exact same thing.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Second Story Books in Dupont is good for older books. Can't beat Kramer Books and Afterwords Cafe (open all night on weekends). Kultura's Secondhand Books on Connecticut just north of Kramers is often overlooked but they have a good selection. Politics and Prose is a ways up Connecticut Ave. near Chevy Chase but worth the venture. Adams Morgan has Idle Times, which focuses on used books. I'm not sure if Bridge Street Books is still in Georgetown.

As mentioned, just wander 18th Street NW for some remaining vinyl record / cd shops - Crooked Beat Records is just north of Florida on 18th and Red Onion Records and Books is just south of Florida. Most of the others have closed. Melody Records, a local indie music store legend for many decades, just went down in Dupont last month.

I think Video Americain is still holding on in Takoma Park, which is a great movie rental / sales store with all the funky weird and independent stuff you can't find anywhere else. Just read that Best Buy might be closing in Columbia Heights, but that's mostly newer stuff anyway.

Last edited by Bluefly; 04-16-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Second Story Books in Dupont is good for older books. Can't beat Kramer Books and Afterwords Cafe (open all night on weekends). Kultura's Secondhand Books on Connecticut just north of Kramers is often overlooked but they have a good selection. Politics and Prose is a ways up Connecticut Ave. near Chevy Chase but worth the venture. Adams Morgan has Idle Times, which focuses on used books. I'm not sure if Bridge Street Books is still in Georgetown.

As mentioned, just wander 18th Street NW for some remaining vinyl record / cd shops - Crooked Beat Records is just north of Florida on 18th and Red Onion Records and Books is just south of Florida. Most of the others have closed. Melody Records, a local indie music store legend for many decades, just went down in Dupont last month.

I think Video Americain is still holding on in Takoma Park, which is a great movie rental / sales store with all the funky weird and independent stuff you can't find anywhere else. Just read that Best Buy might be closing in Columbia Heights, but that's mostly newer stuff anyway.
Good info. I might check out Video Americain (if its still open). Was just in Idle Times Saturday.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,041 times
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am aware that Amazon.com usually has cheaper prices than the few remaining stores, and I have ordered from them often in the past, but I like the experience of going into a store and browsing. And I love vinyl, so thanks for the suggestions. I visited Kramerbooks last night and it was really nice. I will definitely be back there when I have more money and time to explore.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,840 times
Only place i know is Sankofa cafe & bookstore on Georgia Ave near Howard University; but thats an African centered store, with books, music, and films that pertain to the black experience.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,615 times
In the very off-chance that you need to go to Northern Virginia for anything (it happens! like for a cheapie bookcase from Ikea or something?), near the Potomac Mills outlets is a store called "2nd and Charles." It sells used books (and takes tradeins), some publishers' newish overstock, CDs, a small rack of vinyl, DVDs, musical instruments, MP3 players, I think there were also some traded-in Nooks or Kindles. It's in a former Borders space, and it's large. You could spend a lot of time browsing that store. After my first visit, I learned to bring along a "checklist" of certain books I was interested in before I wander the store looking for "new finds."

Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidclub View Post
I just moved to DC and I'm big on entertainment. What are the best stores to buy movies, music, and books in the city? Preferably closer to Georgetown, which is where I live. And I'm more into older stuff, not so much new releases. Thanks!
The majority of them have gone out of business.
This also includes electronic stores too.
Back in the days there were many places to buy electronics.
There was no Best Buy or Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC