Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,439,273 times

Advertisements

lol it does look like a yuppie soup line tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,870,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
As of April 17th 2012, D.C. has only had 20 murders. D.C. is seeing a 31% drop in it's homicide rate from this time last year when D.C. had the lowest count in over 50 years. D.C. is truly booming in every way.
I want to see if this trend continues past August. For some reason summer is the homicide run-up in most cities from what I've seen in DC, Louisville, KY and Newport News, VA.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM

585 posts, read 2,019,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
One more murder last night in SE according to homicidewatch.org...
Damnit you're right... I heard the weird siren that night too. The other murder before that one last week was actually closer to me. When I said "oh we had one" I meant one as recorded on the MPD crime map... But great, now I've bookmarked Homicide Watch, thanks. I think =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I want to see if this trend continues past August. For some reason summer is the homicide run-up in most cities from what I've seen in DC, Louisville, KY and Newport News, VA.
It is common knowledge that hoodrats hibernate in winter. If you were to look at the crime statistics, I'm sure they're also lower in winter - who wants to go rob someone when it's 10 degrees outside? Obviously in summer you have lots of people hanging out here and there, so I wouldn't expect NO homicides throughout the summer but it's also not exactly a free-for-all out there either. I imagine the overall trend will continue.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,737,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Honest answer: I could care less about the food truck owners. I was responding to BlueFly's obnoxious reply about how food truck owners do a great public service for the working poor stiffs in DC. Food truck prices might sound decent to a suit-wearing dude on K Street; not necessarily to the guy who is making the minimum wage. I don't see the poor lining up for food truck service at Farragut Square; they are spending their scarce cash at McDonald's and hot dog stands. But hey, if the Food Truck Dudes can sell full lunch meals for under $5.00, then I stand corrected.

The Food Truck Dudes found a market and they are making $$$$. Kudos to them. They probably get enough meal sales during lunch hour on K Street that they can take the truck back home, count the wads of cash and make a bank deposit before closing. No more working the grueling 10-12 hour restaurant kitchen shifts. No more a*hole restaurant managers barking orders. And you have the pleasure of serving your customers in person.

But when a certain City-Data Forum poster makes a ridiculous claim that Food Truck Entrepreneurs also feed the poorest of DC, I have to call out someone. The Food Truck Dudes are in the business to make money; not feed lines of homeless and low-wage people in the District's most blighted neighborhoods. Those trucks are very expensive. Paying your cooking staff is expensive. Not to mention that there might be insurance and business license fees involved too. You are not going to make much of a profit selling $2.00 weenies on Wonder bread in working class neighborhoods.

It's a no-brainer from a business standpoint to sell your cooked dishes to the professionals on K Street for $8, $10 or $12 per plate. So I have no hate for the Food Truck Dudes. But don't make them out as saviors for DC residents who do not have access to quality food because they live in a neighborhood with no restaurants and no grocery store.
I can't imagine how you could have deduced that bit about food trucks serving the poorest of the poor from what I wrote. I'd say the average age of food truck customer is closer to 40s or 50s and I don't think many of the posters on here have a clue what a hipster is - they just know you don't like them.

(hint: hipsters don't work on K Street)

Anyway, I can't imagine how you got away with hijacking a thread about murders to gripe about what food you prefer, but a $6-$10 meal is not elitist. It's what one pays at Subway, McDonald's, or the various soul food joints throughout the city that have lines of not at all wealthy people out the door. You ever support those local joints? No? Huh.

Last edited by Bluefly; 04-18-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM

837 posts, read 1,801,388 times
Quote:
This phenomenon is well documented in a number of academic papers. Lots of curious factors people come up with. In short, Murders spike in summer months everywhere.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 PM

13,769 posts, read 15,851,173 times
Quote:
It was in the 60's and 70's this winter. It was warm all winter across the country and Chicago and Philadelphia are seeing huge spikes in murders because of it. DC however is seeing a 31% drop despite one of the warmest winters on record. DC is just not the city it used to be. DC used to record close to 500 murders a year. Anybody who has lived here their whole life is just in awe at the differences in this city. DC is booming!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Could you explain what has changed in DC to 'allow people to defend themselves', that has resulted in the reduction in murders?
OK, I'll take that argument off the table and present exhibit B:

The boomer generation is outgrowing violent crime. Also, only stupid criminals use guns anymore with computers being the tool of choice, id theft, etc.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,439,273 times
the new generation of youth are smarter
and less prone to violence and drug-dealing,
plus most of the thugs and gangstas are
dead or locked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: