Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,184,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobworkinger View Post
What's the name of the Union(s) that represent WMATA?
I think it's called Amalgamated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,291,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
My point is, I don't view this as incompetence. Who knows how long the battery was dead? Supposed the battery died a minute before the guy had a heart attack. Metro managers are not EMT's. You can't put this one on Metro. Like I mentioned, most systems don't even have them.
Exactly. Even further, what if he had a heart attack underneath the Potomac between Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom? Would you still blame WMATA?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,103,829 times
[quote=destinedtodave;23955146]Metro authorities say they are inspecting/replacing old units after this incident. The fact that they're just now inspecting them means management there leaves a lot to be desired.
=quote]

Reminds me of a few years ago when Peggy Cooper Cafritz's mansion burned to the ground on Foxhall Road, with its irreplaceable collection of African and Afro-American Art, and only after that did the D.C. fire department do an inventory showing that a huge number of city hydrants had inadequate water pressure, or were out of reach of residences.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM

837 posts, read 1,801,011 times
[quote=slowlane3;23998319]
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Metro authorities say they are inspecting/replacing old units after this incident. The fact that they're just now inspecting them means management there leaves a lot to be desired.
=quote]

Reminds me of a few years ago when Peggy Cooper Cafritz's mansion burned to the ground on Foxhall Road, with its irreplaceable collection of African and Afro-American Art, and only after that did the D.C. fire department do an inventory showing that a huge number of city hydrants had inadequate water pressure, or were out of reach of residences.
To be fair, the fire departments primary purpose is after all, fighting fires. WMATA's primary purpose isn't cardiac care. On the scale of "you suck", Id have to say the fire department wins.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,466,530 times
[quote=chicagotodc;24001098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

To be fair, the fire departments primary purpose is after all, fighting fires. WMATA's primary purpose isn't cardiac care. On the scale of "you suck", Id have to say the fire department wins.
I don't really think you can place blame on DCFD (I'm not calling them FEMS). Replacing an 8 inch main at higher elevation that has been constricted by over 100 years of mineral deposits proposes a much more significant infrastructure problem than a routine check of a portable defibrillator. DCFD tests the water pressure, but any requests to address it go to DC Water and Sewer Authority which only has the resources to repair 11 miles of pipe a year (.8%).

I am a big fan of WMATA, but do think they have some significant personnel problems.This event is an example of station managers not following some simple protocols. Certainly strengthening those protocols will help in some instances, but I think that there are far too many station managers who do not have the adequate faculties to perform their job.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 04-24-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC