Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Relocating: Washington DC or Atlanta?
Washington DC 37 59.68%
Atlanta 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,275,063 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both the DC area and Georgia althnough not in Atlanta.

The weather?

Winters in DC are considerably colder. The summers share the most similarities.

The main difference between summer in Atlanta and DC is that there are some nice cool days in the summer. There is SOME relief. In Georgia it is relentlessly hot every single day from mid-late May until early September. In DC there are some nice crisp cool days during the summer where it only gets to say 86 or 87. There's no such thing in Georgia during the summer. Not that DC doesn't get unbelievably hot and humid. DC summers are hot but there are nice days where a cold front will dip down. Cold fronts almost never make it to the deep south.

For the OP. When I arrived in Montreal y'all were having a heatwave. 90 degree days all that. Well picture the worst Montreal heatwave now imagine that everyday for 4 months. That's a Georgia summer. This is also a DC summer but there are breaks in between.

Either way being a Montreal girl either locale will feel like paradise in the winter. The summers will take getting used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 PM

46 posts, read 140,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I've lived in both the DC area and Georgia althnough not in Atlanta.

The weather?

Winters in DC are considerably colder. The summers share the most similarities.

The main difference between summer in Atlanta and DC is that there are some nice cool days in the summer. There is SOME relief. In Georgia it is relentlessly hot every single day from mid-late May until early September. In DC there are some nice crisp cool days during the summer where it only gets to say 86 or 87. There's no such thing in Georgia during the summer. Not that DC doesn't get unbelievably hot and humid. DC summers are hot but there are nice days where a cold front will dip down. Cold fronts almost never make it to the deep south.

For the OP. When I arrived in Montreal y'all were having a heatwave. 90 degree days all that. Well picture the worst Montreal heatwave now imagine that everyday for 4 months. That's a Georgia summer. This is also a DC summer but there are breaks in between.

Either way being a Montreal girl either locale will feel like paradise in the winter. The summers will take getting used to.
I love it when we have the heat wave in Montreal. When we have a summer without one, I'm sad LOL

Just to give you an idea, I'm the type of person who's always cold and I don't even own an air conditioner (ac). When going to hotels, I close the AC at night otherwise I automatically get a sore throat.
Yeah, had a sore throat in Las Vegas in August a couple of years ago while it was over 100 degrees out because I slept with the ac on (even if I was sleeping under warm blankets).

I might like a hot summer, but then again until I live one I won't know!
But I'm willing to try

I'm sure I will enjoy better a DC weather, but the COL of DC is scaring me. I looked out of curiosity for apartments and was in total shock of pricing (even in suburbs).

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You're comparing it with Atlanta, right?

Just clarifying as there is the side discussion on Philadelpia.

I would have thought Atlanta to be much warmer...no?
I agree that Atlanta is a lot warmer than Philadelphia and DC.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Thank you everyone for your input.
I have decided to apply to jobs in both cities and will decide upon job offered
I like both cities on different aspects and would see myself in both

Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,353,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Thank you everyone for your input.
I have decided to apply to jobs in both cities and will decide upon job offered
I like both cities on different aspects and would see myself in both
Good decision!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Good decision!
Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,891,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If there was a city with a low COL that had as strong of a job market as DC, its COL would quickly go up because people would flock there for work.
There is one place I can think of with very low COL and a very hot job market, but it's not a city: North Dakota.
Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,592,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio.
All of which have higher unemployment than the DC area currently.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Although Austin is pretty close to DC. That's a good choice.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,891,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Lack of diversity in Atlanta

I have to ask, where exacly where you in Atlanta where you only saw White or Black people? Anything above i-20 especially heading up 85 into Gwinnette is pretty diverse and that isn't even including the Korean and Mexican geared suburbs and shopping centers.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,866,359 times
DC all the way. I just spent some time in Atlanta for work-- all I can say is that if you are looking for a city with a bit more opportunity and a more European layout, DC is the way to go. Cost of living is cheaper in Atlanta from what I can tell-- I think probably significantly cheaper. But I think if you want to do consulting work and develop a network, DC is the obvious choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC