Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Relocating: Washington DC or Atlanta?
Washington DC 37 59.68%
Atlanta 25 40.32%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM

46 posts, read 140,236 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
This is my very first thread. I have just came back from spending a few days in Atlanta and Washington DC. I want to relocate this year. Right now I live in Montreal Canada but I'm tired of here and will move to the US. So no need to convince me to stay here.
I'm 31, single, no kids, have a bachelor's degree, I'm AA and open to dating different races (I'm not limiting myself). I know that my decision will be a lot based on the salary and way of life I will be able to afford in the chosen city. It's very important for me to have my body-mind-soul equilibrium even if I work in the corporate setting.

Now keep in mind that I was in both cities for a few days but spent more time in Atlanta since I had a friend who showed me around and truly I had a great time. I'm at the point where I need to know what else DC has to offer.

Washington DC
I love: diversity and ethnicity, the feel of the city, the metro system, food, good looking men that are not trying to impress with their car
I hate: I've heard that it's competitive out there, I do not want to live in a stressful environment, weather not as nice as Atlanta's

Atlanta:
I love: the weather, southern hospitality, the scenery (a lot of trees), COL, more lay back, seems like people enjoy life more here
I hate: I found there was a lot of people with no manners, people like to show off alot with their car and women wearing a lot of makeup, dating looks harder here as there's a lot of single women, you have to drive around all the time, that's it's either black or white (no middle, no mix)

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM

89 posts, read 274,703 times
Your pros and cons pretty much sum up the two cities. I'm from the DC area, but lived in Atlanta for 3 years while I was in grad school/in my mid-20s. I loved my experience there, but I wouldn't want to settle in Atlanta. You mentioned the materialistic culture which is very true. For women, the dating scene is rather difficult with the simple ratio of men to women. The fact that there's not as much interracial dating in Atlanta makes things even more difficult, and a lot of the Black women I met while in Atlanta told me they refuse to date someone that's "not on their level academically." So, as a lot of these women are very educated (all of my friends have Masters) that just means fewer choices for them. A lot of men take advantage of that, knowing that these women won't date a guy w/o a Masters, won't date interracially, and then there's already a much higher percentage of women to men. It works in our favor...Petty ridiculous, my mom has a post-master, my father a high school diploma, yet they'd eschew the idea like my family's an anomaly...After 3 years, I just felt like Atlanta didn't have much to offer other than the nightlife and low COL. The parks were great, Wednesday WindDown (live jazz) was cool, Piedmont Park is nice, but it just lacked something. In DC there's always something to do. Whether it's the museums, shows, parks, shopping, etc. In Atlanta, we had the Fox theatre, the High Museum, and Stone Mountain, which wasn't the greatest experience being an AA. But it's really up to you. You have to decide what's most important. If you want a great salary but a low COL like you mentioned, then Atlanta's a great place. But be prepared for a much slower pace of life, where you'll have to drive everywhere (I lived downtown and still had to drive to get around). But if you want a city that has more variety to offer, is a lot more diverse, but its more expensive and definitely more competitive, than DC's the place for you. But honestly, only you can decide.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I go where you can get a job! So many even with degrees are unemployed. So Have you sent out resumes? Then your second factor affording housing! Most people Work in DC but commute from my area! Thus have No Life!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
If you have to ask, Atlanta

Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
The economy is a lot better in DC right now. Unemployment is still pretty high in Atlanta. That being said, I'm sure there are opportunities in both, it depends on what field you are in and your qualifications.

Aside from the job issue, here are my thoughts (having spent a lot of time in both cities): DC is IMO a better "city". It is denser, more vibrant, better public transportation, better museums, etc. Not saying Atlanta is a slouch in those categories, just that it isn't quite at DC's level. That being said, you mention mention "body-mind-soul" equilibrium and not wanting to be stressed. In professional circles, DC is a very competitive, fast-paced city. Possibly second in the country to NYC. I lived there for five years and found it to be very career oriented. Atlanta is still a large city so it is going to be somewhat fast paced, but to me it seems a lot more balanced for career, social life, family, etc. I think you are right that Atlanta is a bit "flashier", but it is still less competitive.

Final thing (kind of related to the job issue). DC is a lot more expensive, especially if you live in the district or a suburb on the metro. You can live more cheaply in the exurbs, but then you have to commute and you won't be able to take as much advantage of the things that make DC a great city.

So bottom line, if you want a more urban feeling and you don't mind paying more and working harder, choose DC. If you want a somewhat urban feeling that is balanced with other parts of life (and you also seem to prefer the warmer weather), go Atlanta.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM

37 posts, read 112,574 times
Move to DC first, focus on your career and meet someone, then move together to Atlanta. I'm serious.

The first poster was not joking that Atlanta is a tough city for single AA women. The people I know who are married with kids love living in Atlanta though - low COL, nice homes. The traffic can be bad, but if you're lucky to live near your job you'll be ok. DC is great for single women, but it can get very expensive and stressful if you want to start a family.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM

229 posts, read 515,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I go where you can get a job! So many even with degrees are unemployed. So Have you sent out resumes? Then your second factor affording housing! Most people Work in DC but commute from my area! Thus have No Life!
Second that.

Some of us have this urge to move to other cities and towns for peace of mind, "change in pace," or for something else with little to no consideration for the job market there. Even if you do have a job lined up for you, what will you do if you were to lose it, and you're left to find work in an area where the job market is sluggish? My company was recently bought out, and the acquiring company (situated in Utah), informed me of a position they had for me there. I politely declined the offer despite looming unemployment and an insufficient severance package, because I'd rather take my chances finding a new job here than walking a fine line with no safety net in Utah.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
So you want to immigrate to the U.S. You'll seek to get a work visa? Permanent residency status? Seems you're getting ahead of yourself. For work visas you may need a firm offer of work. So I agree with person who said look for a job yet. Maybe you'll find the best job in a city that's neither DC (and I assume you mean the DC area, incuding Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland) or Atlanta. Is this just daydreaming? If not, I'd make extended visits to each area, in both summer and winter, and talk to people about jobs. Then go back and start the immigration status. I lived in the DC area for a few years and enjoyed it, but so much depends on your job and income level (and you have the added burden of immigration status).

Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
I'm from elsewhere in Georgia but have spent many a wild weekend in Atlanta. Now living in the DC burbs. I like it here and despite a friend practically begging me to move back home I have absolutely no interest. So perhaps I'm biased.

What do I like about DC? I definitely think this is a better city for the educated person. I mostly do the interracial thing myself and DC is exponentially better.

I think the main thing that's going to get you will be the cost of living. Its crazy here. At the same time I think the quality of life (at least for me) is much higher.

Yes the job market is more competitive depending on what you're doing and at what level. There are some companies that appreciate the work/life balance and there are some that expect you to devote your life to work. It will take time and skill to balance the two but it can be done even in a rat race city like DC.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM

46 posts, read 140,236 times
Thanks a lot everyone for all you replies.

As you have mentioned that DC is second to NYC in terms of stress and business, this is what is scaring me. But at the same time, I might get bored of the low pace and not enough diversity in Atlanta.

One of you mentioned to go to DC, find a man and then move to Atlanta, that's not a bad idea. Also, I'm already used to the city feel and not driving around for everything. What will hurt the most is the COL of DC.

As another poster mentioned, I have someone living in both cities. I'm planning to stay 2-3 weeks in DC and try to get interviews while I'm there. I'm planning this for May. Once I get a firm offer, I can ask for a visa at the border. I'm not daydreaming of moving as I've been thinking and wanting this for so long which is why I went to visit a few places last week. I'm ready to work as soon as possible, as my decision to leave is final.

I have a bachelor in Actuarial mathematics and have worked 6 years in my field. I will therefore target consulting companies in the US as I have worked for one for quite some time and left on good terms before trying something else.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC