Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 11,788 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I'm fairly new to DC, I'm currently renting a room until I find an apartment for myself in a location that will be convenient for my commute to work. And this is where I could you some help from locals.

I primarily work in the downtown and sometimes further south where all the fed agencies are.

I am hoping to find an apartment in DC for around $1300 per month that will put me in easy commuting distance to the areas where I work.

- Must come with a parking space for 1 car
- Very close to metro and bus stop
- Utils included for $1300 would be great!
- Workout room / pool would be a nice perk
- Reasonably safe and quiet neighborhood

Is my budget realistic for what I'm hoping to get? If so, please recommend a few places I should look at. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,580,037 times
Why do you need a parking space? Honestly, a $1300 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood close to the metro is going to be somewhat tough to find within the city, and one with a parking spot is even harder to find. Many many people, myself included, just park on the street, which is free and easy to do in most DC neighborhoods except for some of the very dense ones like Dupont.
I can't think of a neighborhood in DC that is likely to fit all your criteria... perhaps Shaw would. But you will definitely not find a workout room or pool there. If you're not willing to budge on any of those criteria I would start looking into the outer suburbs like Vienna, Franconia or Rockville.

On second thought, the Southwest Waterfront or Navy Yard areas might be within your budget, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM

I have no problem parking on the street if it comes to that.

I suppose anywhere in DC that will put me within about a 30 min max commuting time (via metro or bus) to downtown will be great for me.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,580,037 times
Proximity to the metro carries a big premium in rent. If you're willing to commute via bus instead of metro, that gives you a lot more options at your price point.
For example, if you don't need metro, you can look at Glover Park, the neighborhood just north of Georgetown, and also the neighborhoods around the National Cathedral. This is a ridiculously safe part of DC that is serviced by pretty reliable bus lines. I know you can get from Glover Park to Dupont Circle on the D2 bus in about 10 to 15 minutes.
I have a friend who lives right between Glover Park and Cathedral Heights and he pays $1000 a month for a pretty nice studio. So it seems like $1300 for a 1 bedroom might be doable in that area. He has a car and street parking is plentiful.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,252,374 times
You might want to look at craigslist or realtor listings versus looking for a particular apartment complex. Unfortunately you're asking for a lot for $1300. I second looking at SW Waterfront and the Navy Yard those are quiet neighborhoods that people sometimes forget about.

Another option might be somewhere in Alexandria with a shuttle to the metro. I've seen some apartmetns that were $1300.

Here's a place: It has everything you're looking for at $1275 a month. However, you're looking at a 45 minute commute versus 30.

3306 Wyndham Clst #326, Alexandria VA - Trulia

Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,856,896 times
You may have to manage your expectations down to a studio with no assigned parking. If you are willing to do that, you can live a fifteen minute walk to the metro in my old stomping grounds near Military Rd and Connecticut in Friendship Heights. Look at a building called La Reina to start (and there is another one whose name I can't recall a few buildings down) They are always renting and pretty afforable. Its a great area.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM

229 posts, read 515,504 times
The issue with finding a $1300/one-bedroom apartment in DC proper isn't that they are rare; it's that virtually all of them are booked up with a very long waiting list. And even if they were readily available, there are some compromises one must make for such cheap hospitality.

Alexio, check out the Woodner. It's located on 16th Street, situated 10 minutes from a Metro station with a metro bus that stops in front of the building. I believe rent is about $1000, with all utilities included, and amenities include a store and restaurant found inside the building. Columbia Heights and Adams Morgan is a 10-15 minute walk from there, as well.

The downside to this complex is that it's old, overcrowded, poorly managed, and even more poorly occupied. But if you're willing to relinquish a certain level of comfort to relieve a certain level of stress from your wallet, then you should check it out.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 AM

585 posts, read 2,016,990 times
Come on down east of the river! It's quiet except for the rare alley party and "fireworks" popping off some nights.

I pay way less than your budget (utilities not included) and have assigned, secure parking, but there's also plenty of street parking. It takes me 10 minutes to get downtown, there's a bus that goes by my house I don't use and Southern Ave Metro isn't far - not walking distance or anything but it's close. I've got almost 700 sq feet, hardwood throughout, recessed lighting, granite/stainless in the kitchen, granite in the bathroom, a Jacuzzi tub and washer/dryer in unit. All for LESS THAN $1000 a month.

And as long as you aren't running around out there at 2 in the morning, it's safe.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Some good suggestions so far. Thanks everyone! I'll keep on checking if anyone will post more.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Come on down east of the river! It's quiet except for the rare alley party and "fireworks" popping off some nights.

I pay way less than your budget (utilities not included) and have assigned, secure parking, but there's also plenty of street parking. It takes me 10 minutes to get downtown, there's a bus that goes by my house I don't use and Southern Ave Metro isn't far - not walking distance or anything but it's close. I've got almost 700 sq feet, hardwood throughout, recessed lighting, granite/stainless in the kitchen, granite in the bathroom, a Jacuzzi tub and washer/dryer in unit. All for LESS THAN $1000 a month.

And as long as you aren't running around out there at 2 in the morning, it's safe.
Are you talking about the Anocostia and Fort Dupont area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC