Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,293,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
What about SW Waterfront?
We're focusing on regions with high development potential. For the most part, the Southwest Waterfront is built our and there's little to no new construction apart from the recently-finished Waterfront Station. I know some renovations have been going on, but in terms of net new units it's not much and pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Once the Waterfront project actually gets going, we can do more analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM

13,780 posts, read 15,868,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
We're focusing on regions with high development potential. For the most part, the Southwest Waterfront is built our and there's little to no new construction apart from the recently-finished Waterfront Station. I know some renovations have been going on, but in terms of net new units it's not much and pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Once the Waterfront project actually gets going, we can do more analysis.
How many units are expected in the SW waterfront development?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,164,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How many units are expected in the SW waterfront development?
Phase one is suppose to have about 1200 residential units.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM

999 posts, read 2,017,413 times
What about the vacated Walter Reed Army Hospital land? We are talking 113 acres on PRIME property in Ward 4 of DC. I think it's still Dept. of Defense property but I am sure the GSA will take over the lot.

I wonder if there is any chance that The District can purchase the former Walter Reed Army hospital location from the feds. Imagine how many condos, townhomes and retail locations could be built on that property.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 PM

742 posts, read 1,120,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
What about the vacated Walter Reed Army Hospital land? We are talking 113 acres on PRIME property in Ward 4 of DC. I think it's still Dept. of Defense property but I am sure the GSA will take over the lot.

I wonder if there is any chance that The District can purchase the former Walter Reed Army hospital location from the feds. Imagine how many condos, townhomes and retail locations could be built on that property.
DC, through a local redevelopment authority, will be getting 67.5 acres of the land at Walter Reed. The plan is for 3.1 million square feet of development on DC's portion of the property, over of which will be residential (almost 2,000 units).

For your reading pleasure:
Ward Four - Walter Reed

Walter Reed Plan Approved, On Its Way to Council - Housing Complex

Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,293,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Part of the problem is distance and transportation. Without a Metro stop nearby, I don't see Walter Reed being feasible for anything but affordable housing or more suburban-esque development. Even with Metro access, I'm not sure how many people would move there.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Part of the problem is distance and transportation. Without a Metro stop nearby, I don't see Walter Reed being feasible for anything but affordable housing or more suburban-esque development. Even with Metro access, I'm not sure how many people would move there.
DC isn't planning for suburban-esque development at the site. What do you think of the planned streetcar line running up Georgia Ave with a stop right at the Walter Reed site? Do you think this will provide adequate access to transit for the site or not?

I think affordable units, say at 60% of area median income, mixed-in with some market-rate housing would be just fine and quite a draw.

Last edited by revitalizer; 04-25-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
What about SW Waterfront?
I did not analyze the SW Waterfront this time around but could so in the future.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Thats the point though. Jax expanded by annexing Duval County (technically consolidating with it). DC's borders are fixed - the addtional 250k represents additional density.

Its also good for the planet - that many people at urban densities use less energy than otherwise.
Obviously I'm on board with the better-for-the-planet argument for density. I probably shouldn't have included Jax but the point is more people does not inherently mean a more vibrant, safe, interesting city.

I'm also skeptical of political projections. How many experts looked at decline rates a couple decades ago, projected those out, and wrote cities off forever? These things are somewhat cyclical. Maybe what will drive people away from DC in the future will be housing costs rather than crime and disinvestment, but the result could be similar in terms of losing a tax base. I think there's definitely a lot more growth coming but I'm just not sure I'd bet on 250,000 more within the city itself.

If that's the goal, they need to do more to to integrate public housing into normal neighborhood dynamics and stop building just luxury condos. Last time we had over 800,000 people, many were families living under the same roof. It will be many more single people this time, so there must be a market for building large-unit buildings for people that make, say, $50k - $100k. I just don't see the developers capitalizing on it yet, though. That's a little disconcerting.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,604,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm also skeptical of political projections. How many experts looked at decline rates a couple decades ago, projected those out, and wrote cities off forever? These things are somewhat cyclical. Maybe what will drive people away from DC in the future will be housing costs rather than crime and disinvestment, but the result could be similar in terms of losing a tax base. .
nobody will go there anymore because its too crowded - thats a self correcting problem in a way that crime, education etc, are not. If people move out, prices come down. There IS a possibility that prices will keep as many people from moving IN.

However the current level of prices/rents is driven to a considerable degree by supply failing to catch up with the spike in demand - simply because it takes a while to move a big project through the pipeline, so theres always a lag in response to change - and also because the financial crisis of 2008 slowed a lot of projects down.

Additionally the limited amount of transit limits the amount of land that is most desirable for development, and some of that land faces issues with zoning, etc. Thats why DC is so intent on the street car system - to make more areas desirable for development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC