Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think we'll necessarily see a decrease in demand. We may, however, see a decrease in the quantity demanded as the price level continues to rise. So instead of seeing a leftward shift in the demand curve, we'll see movement along the demand curve to the left, indicating that apartments have simply become too expensive for many people to rent/buy.

Given the strength of the area's economy, I don't see aggregate demand falling off anytime soon.
I would not be so bold as to try to predict how the debate over the federal budget will play out or what impact that will have on the demand curve for housing in the district.

I'm not sure I'm getting the dynamics that would lead to movement up the demand curve - that implies a reduction in supply, which I do not see happening. Perhaps you meant a movement up the supply curve, due to rising demand? But I don't expect that either - maybe demand won't fall, but I am dubious of a signficant increase, at least in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,828,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Exactly. The increase in new construction will probably stabilise or at least slow down rent growth (we're seeing this already). The only way to keep rents from spiking is to continue to build in order to absorb growth.
Again, in theory, but as we all know, theory assumes perfect competition and information. Economic models are not good at accounting for the effects of imperfect information, price collusion and monopolies.

I'll give you an example. I rent out an apartment in DC. Other homeowners will often ask me how much I'm charging, especially if they see I have prospective tenants coming by. If they think my rent is too low, they'll say, "You need to charge at least X. If you start charging Y, then everybody will start expecting Y." This happens every year. No joke.

Seeing that many of these major buildings are built by, owned by, and managed by a small number of players, I would not be surprised if the same thing happens.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I'm not sure I'm getting the dynamics that would lead to movement up the demand curve - that implies a reduction in supply, which I do not see happening. Perhaps you meant a movement up the supply curve, due to rising demand? But I don't expect that either - maybe demand won't fall, but I am dubious of a signficant increase, at least in the near future.
No, I meant an increase in price leads to a decrease in quantity demanded.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
No, I meant an increase in price leads to a decrease in quantity demanded. The supply curve does not have to shift in order for the price level to rise.

something has to shift. If the demand curve stays the same, and supply curve stays the same, then the equilibrium price stays the same. Unless the state, or a price setting monopoly, mandates a higher price (which I think is unlikely as well).

Where does the exogenous price increase come from?

To review - the shape of the demand curve and the shape of the supply curve generate the equilibrium price and quantity.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Again, in theory, but as we all know, theory assumes perfect competition and information. Economic models are not good at accounting for the effects of imperfect information, price collusion and monopolies.

I'll give you an example. I rent out an apartment in DC. Other homeowners will often ask me how much I'm charging, especially if they see I have prospective tenants coming by. If they think my rent is too low, they'll say, "You need to charge at least X. If you start charging Y, then everybody will start expecting Y." This happens every year. No joke.

Seeing that many of these major buildings are built by, owned by, and managed by a small number of players, I would not be surprised if the same thing happens.

for that to work they would either have to keep existing units vacant, or refrain from building new ones in order to keep rents up.

Unless the published vacancy rates in DC are being faked, the former is not the case. (I think a conspiracy to keep PARKING rates high is more likely, as I've seen it noted recently that garage owners are very reticent to share info on how many spots they actually have) As for the latter, while its conceivable that there is a developer conspiracy, and that in its absence there would be even MORE new construction, I personally am skeptical.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
something has to shift. If the demand curve stays the same, and supply curve stays the same, then the equilibrium price stays the same. Unless the state, or a price setting monopoly, mandates a higher price (which I think is unlikely as well).

Where does the exogenous price increase come from?

To review - the shape of the demand curve and the shape of the supply curve generate the equilibrium price and quantity.
Demand

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
for that to work they would either have to keep existing units vacant, or refrain from building new ones in order to keep rents up.
Or they could simply keep rents high because they can.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,290,033 times
Quote:

Of course those discrepancies exist, but we need to come close to an oversupply of rentals for the theory to work. Look at Harlem: rental prices have remained low even in luxury buildings due to overbuilding. Now that's not good for the development industry and they drive economics in DC, so we don't want what happened in Harlem to occur here, but something close enough to balance the interests of developers so that they continue to build but also ensure that tenants still have some degree of leverage.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Or they could simply keep rents high because they can.

because they can in what sense? That the equilibrium rent is high, or that because they can set a price above the equilibrium rent?

Again you are speaking of an increase in rents (i presume inflation adjusted) That implies a change - either in the equilibrium rent (which implies a shift in either the demand or supply curves) OR a shift FROM the competitive equilibrium rent to a monopolist rent. Im not sure which you are suggesting.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:

yes, thank you for posting a link to a text book definition of demand. You still have not explained what change you think would to increasing real rents (other than an increase in demand - IE a shift of the demand curve).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC