U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,523 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to DC this summer to attend graduate school at AU. I am not too familiar with the area, so I'd love some advice on where to live. I've done a good bit of research and there doesn't seem to be much right by AU that isn't overrun with cockroaches and undergrads...

I'd like to live by myself, within a reasonable walking distance. I am a female and will be taking night classes exclusively, so I'd like to not go too far. My budget is not strict, but I am not trying to pay anything ridiculous (maybe keep it under 1600). Any recommendations? Should I be comfortable walking around that area at night, possibly as late as 11pm?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM

12,331 posts, read 23,153,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriedubv View Post
I'd like to live by myself, within a reasonable walking distance. I am a female and will be taking night classes exclusively, so I'd like to not go too far.
The campus is so spread out, and it is surrounded by single family housing. The Idaho Terrace apartments on the 3000 block of Idaho Avenue, NW might work. I'd suggest depending on a bike or moped, or take a bus. It's not really unsafe, but it would be a long walk.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-02-2012 at 06:18 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM

2,063 posts, read 3,265,906 times
The whole area around AU and the surrounding neighborhoods is the safest and most affluent part of the city. It feels more like a suburb, really. The problem with AU's campus is that it's pretty far from the closest metro stop, and apparently relying on the school-run bus that goes to and from the metro can be annoying.
I'd suggest you look at Glover Park, which is just about a mile or so down from Wisconsin Ave from AU. It's a fairly vibrant area and has a bunch of apartment buildings on Wisconsin, as well as frequent metro buses that can take you up Wisconsin.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Okay great thanks! I will certainly check into Idaho Terrace and the Glover Park area. How is the metro bus system? Is it generally considered safe and reliable?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

2,063 posts, read 3,265,906 times
I forgot one thing: will you have a car? If not, then you might want to consider not living in walking distance of campus or the neighborhood of Glover Park that I mentioned. Like I said it's a semi-suburban area and not particularly convenient for living without a car, although it is doable.
If your plan is to be reliant on public transportation, then I think you should try to live near the Tenleytown metro station, so you will still be close to campus via a bus or longish walk, but have access to the metro and walking distance to a grocery store.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
How is the metro bus system? Is it generally considered safe and reliable?
Yes the buses are safe and reliable. The Mass. Avenue buses are probably the best way to get to AU. Glover Park is also a good area, with many students sharing the rowhouses. There are apartments also around Wisconsin and Calvert. I consider it a bit too far to walk, as I think it's over a mile, and uphill to AU.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-02-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I forgot one thing: will you have a car?
Unfortunately, no I will not have a car. I will be pretty much exclusively reliant on public transportation and my own two feet. Tenleytown does seem like it may be one of the more convenient locations, but I can't seem to find many apartment options there.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Tenleytown does seem like it may be one of the more convenient locations, but I can't seem to find many apartment options there.
True, as it is mostly composed of rowhouses and single-family houses.

Does AU have a student housing office? if so, they may have apartment listings. The problem with most apartments along Massachusetts and Wisconsin is their cost. I used hotpads.com and saw many for $2400-3000/per month.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 PM

938 posts, read 3,882,985 times
Most AU students live in Tenleytown, Van Ness, and Glover Park. A few in Columbia Heights, too.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Does AU have a student housing office?
They do have a housing office but I have heard some negative reviews. And their website is not too helpful.

How about the area right around National Cathedral? Is that a popular location? There seems to be a number of apartment and condo options there.

And thank everyone for your advice. The input is very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC