Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,951,963 times

Advertisements

DC is one giant speed trap and the speeds are generally too low, making it even more a of trap. You just have to deal with it. It's a pretty big revenue generator for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:19 PM

182 posts, read 478,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I was down in National Harbor a few weeks ago for a friend's birthday and got a whopping $125 ticket while driving through the District on 295 on my way back to Baltimore County. I had discovered the 295 shortcut through DC two years ago through Google maps when driving to Richmond before that I didn't even know there was a continuous freeway through Washington DC. The camera said I was going 62 MPH where the speed limit was 50 and this was where I think INterstate 295 north becomes DC 295.

If any of yall commute that way regularly is the speed limit initially 55 mph on I-295 then suddenly drops? If so I will use that as a defense when I writre my letter to Metropolitan Police to contest the ticket or ask for leniency. It was a major freeway so I assumed it was at least 55 mph and based on the nature of the road it was ridiculous to have such a low speed limit.

This never happened when I was going to Richmond on the same highway2 years ago, was this recently changed? Was the 50 mph stretch purposely changed to be a speed trap and the cameras installed so that the city can gain revenue from tickets? Or is it also to discourage thru traffic from using 295 so that they will take the longer distance around 495 instead?
Yep, it's been that way for a while. The speed limit is 55 MPH on I-295, drops to 50 MPH on DC-295 (Kenilworth Ave) and then drops briefly to 45 MPH on MD-295 (Baltimore Washington Parkway) for a couple miles before going back up to 55 MPH.

But that speed trap has been on DC 295 at that location for years. Depending on the time of day, it's either on the northbound side or the southbound side. You can tell when it's there because there is always a unmarked mini-van or SUV sitting on the shoulder. The camera will be positioned several feet in front of it.

DC is notorious for it's speed and red light cameras. They are everywhere. Just on that short stretch of 295 that we're talking about you're likely to pass by at LEAST 4 speed cameras.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,746 times
Default Here is the scoop

I used to live there and travel there very frequently. The 295 cameras were put up in NOvember. They can be identified as gray boxes on the left of the road. Travelling south, one is about .7 miles of Bolling AFB main gate. Travelling north, one is about right next to the wastwater station (i.e. Washington's crap depository). It is attached to a cement barrier that almost looks like an exit.

There is only one solution - slow when you pass them cameras. Also, getting behind a slow driver is always helpful. Me, I set my cruise control to 50 once I get off the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. I also have a radar detector which helps.

The good news is that DC plans to double the number of cameras in the near future. And you can now conveniently pay your fines on line with a credit card. How convenient can they get for us?

Fact is, DC needs the money because every time you pick up the Washington Post, there's another DC councilor on his way to jail for stealing tax dollars. Also, 40% of the DC police officers, (those who service the cameras) develop a "disability" as soon as they hit their 20 year mark and collect until age 65 when their retirement kicks in, this despite the fact that they have to get a yearly physical in order to stay on. But the 20 year mark comes along, and whamo, they are suddenly disabled. The officer is down. That's why they have a short on cash.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,294 times
We put speed cameras up in the District. We place their location on a web site viewable by all. We publish this fact in the local news. Those who get caught speeding by these speed cameras are dumb enough that they should not be allowed to breed.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,455,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You're not going to get ant leniency. DC 295 is not an interstate like the portion that is I-295. It is a local highway. It's not up to Interstate standards. It gets kind of dangerous and the speed drop does make some sense there. Regardless of whether it is justified to drop the speed limit or not, you are still responsible for paying attention to the limit. How are you going to explain the lack of attention to the road signs and conditions? You broke the law. Pay up. Also, there is no 9-12 mph cushion in DC. MD does, DC does not.
It's a dangerous highway especially in DC.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:14 PM

15,445 posts, read 25,878,448 times
I went thru 295 to the BW Parkway Friday afternoon. I saw plenty of speed limit signs prior to the camera locations. I think they are new, but they are there.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:55 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,645,495 times
Yeah, there's a lot of speed limit signs not to be aware of the speed. The photo enforced signs in yellow is a nice bonus. I wouldn't consider a road that clearly warns motorists that the highway is photo enforced as a speed trap.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,185,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobniqu View Post
There is only one solution - slow when you pass them cameras.
Or just go the speed limit all the time. Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,011,463 times
This is the frustration with this area, although they have every right to give people tickets, it is just very unnatural to drive on a highway and expect the speed to decrease. As a driver, you always have to be aware of speeds changing, but if you aren't from here, it's not something you would expect. Again something that people should be mindful of, but not something that is natural to expect on a highway like this.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
This is the frustration with this area, although they have every right to give people tickets, it is just very unnatural to drive on a highway and expect the speed to decrease. As a driver, you always have to be aware of speeds changing, but if you aren't from here, it's not something you would expect. Again something that people should be mindful of, but not something that is natural to expect on a highway like this.
Many drivers from Virginia find it difficult to obey the law. It seems to be in their nature. We plan to change their nature or encourage them to drive elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC