Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM

566 posts, read 1,562,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Or just go the speed limit all the time. Just a thought.
What confuses me far more than the low speed limit on 295 is very low speed limits on some major surface streets. Take M St SE in Navy Yard as an example. It's three lanes in each direction, has a wide median, is lined mostly with office buildings, and has almost no housing save for one or two high rises that are set back from the street. On the weekend there's hardly ever a pedestrian to be seen. The speed limit is 25 on this major street, which is the same speed limit on most residential streets that are lined with rowhomes. How does that make any sense? And of course there's a speed camera on M St with no warning signage for the camera or even the speed limit on preceding block. To me, that's the essence of a DC speed trap. The road is wide, safe, and has extremely low pedestrian activity, yet the speed limit is kept so low. In most other areas, the speed on this road would be at least 35.

My ask of the DMV: if you're going to cover the city in speed cameras, please post clear signs warning of the speed limit and the imminence of a camera. DC seems to be getting better at this, but there are still way too many unmarked stretches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,108,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobniqu View Post
The 295 cameras were put up in NOvember. They can be identified as gray boxes on the left of the road. Travelling south, one is about .7 miles of Bolling AFB main gate. Travelling north, one is about right next to the wastwater station (i.e. Washington's crap depository). It is attached to a cement barrier that almost looks like an exit.

The good news is that DC plans to double the number of cameras in the near future. And you can now conveniently pay your fines on line with a credit card. How convenient can they get for us?
Yes - many people are caught at the very camera you mentioned, at the southern end of I-295 by Naval Research Lab. This is a wide-open stretch of highway with no hazards. In fact, it was a favorite of late-night drag-racers, a few years ago.

You can see enlargeable, interactive maps, and lists of ALL known speed-cameras (and red-light cameras) on these 2 websites Maryland Speed Cameras and Red Light Cameras & Speed Cameras - Database of Intersections, Fines, Maps .

Mayor Vincent Gray was quoted in the Washington Post as saying he wants to blanket the whole city with way more cameras.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,207,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
We put speed cameras up in the District. We place their location on a web site viewable by all. We publish this fact in the local news. Those who get caught speeding by these speed cameras are dumb enough that they should not be allowed to breed.
Really bro?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,648,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes - many people are caught at the very camera you mentioned, at the southern end of I-295 by Naval Research Lab. This is a wide-open stretch of highway with no hazards. In fact, it was a favorite of late-night drag-racers, a few years ago.

You can see enlargeable, interactive maps, and lists of ALL known speed-cameras (and red-light cameras) on these 2 websites Maryland Speed Cameras and Red Light Cameras & Speed Cameras - Database of Intersections, Fines, Maps .

Mayor Vincent Gray was quoted in the Washington Post as saying he wants to blanket the whole city with way more cameras.
That's probably why they started putting cameras there. People complain about the cameras but fail to realize their driving habits the reason why they exist in the first place.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 AM

585 posts, read 2,019,697 times
Anyone else notice the Kenilworth at 295 speed camera car has been missing for the last few days? Wonder what gives. Not that I'm complaining.

Don't forget the new cameras go live June 6! New Automated Speed Enforcement Locations Deployed Citywide - Releases - Metropolitan Police Department

Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 PM

30 posts, read 61,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
What confuses me far more than the low speed limit on 295 is very low speed limits on some major surface streets. Take M St SE in Navy Yard as an example. It's three lanes in each direction, has a wide median, is lined mostly with office buildings, and has almost no housing save for one or two high rises that are set back from the street.
Three lanes does not equal a highway.
Well I used to work right there and crossed M St on foot and drove down M St everyday. For the number of pedestrians, bikes, along with the congestion during the week, the 25mph is more than justified. M Street isn't even 2 miles long... how fast do you need to do? 395 and 295 are right there, take the friggin highway.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 AM

566 posts, read 1,562,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseysbest View Post
Three lanes does not equal a highway.
Well I used to work right there and crossed M St on foot and drove down M St everyday. For the number of pedestrians, bikes, along with the congestion during the week, the 25mph is more than justified. M Street isn't even 2 miles long... how fast do you need to do? 395 and 295 are right there, take the friggin highway.
30-35mph seems a reasonable speed limit for a street like that. The current 25mph, the same speed limit as the residential street I live on, seems really low for that stretch.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,240 times
I was on a rental from NJ to NC - I never got off the interstate ( 95) guess it turned into (295) near DC. My rental called & said months later I had a ticket? Very confused, because I was never pulled over. They sent me an email with just a picture of my the tag and a speed of 65 .... ( well speed is 70 MPH on the freeway ) I guess like the man said above we are dumb, but a highway going state to state I never saw signs, ( just get on 95 and go... people just go down 95 like 70 plus MPH.... & to change it suddenly with no work-zone or real reason or flashing lights.... but It was 4 am in the dark & have never heard of these sped trap radars ( red lights yes .... Now I owe $175.00 to the rental who paid the ticket & charging me a fine on top of a fine ugggg no way to even fight this. I don't care about having speed traps, but on a highway? that is just a revenue maker!!!! People from FL to MA use 95 & prob will go with traffic at about 70 mph. Only the people above who live there, would not know to reduce speed on a highway unless work zone or such ... Just found another reason to hate DC.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM

15,468 posts, read 25,915,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesssnree View Post
I was on a rental from NJ to NC - I never got off the interstate ( 95) guess it turned into (295) near DC. My rental called & said months later I had a ticket? Very confused, because I was never pulled over. They sent me an email with just a picture of my the tag and a speed of 65 .... ( well speed is 70 MPH on the freeway ) I guess like the man said above we are dumb, but a highway going state to state I never saw signs, ( just get on 95 and go... people just go down 95 like 70 plus MPH.... & to change it suddenly with no work-zone or real reason or flashing lights.... but It was 4 am in the dark & have never heard of these sped trap radars ( red lights yes .... Now I owe $175.00 to the rental who paid the ticket & charging me a fine on top of a fine ugggg no way to even fight this. I don't care about having speed traps, but on a highway? that is just a revenue maker!!!! People from FL to MA use 95 & prob will go with traffic at about 70 mph. Only the people above who live there, would not know to reduce speed on a highway unless work zone or such ... Just found another reason to hate DC.
If you got a camera ticket you were either not on I-95, or you were in a construction zone.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,182,532 times
DC raked in a record $55M in speed camera fines in fiscal 2011. What bothers me most is that the mayors office says that "The automated traffic enforcement program has one goal, and goal only: to keep our streets safe."

In other words, DC Democrats think you're too stupid to recognize that speed cameras are nothing short of a revenue-generating racket.

Seems you got caught up in their $$$$cheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC