Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
VDOT is the one with the lousy signage. MdDOT is a little better at that. DCDOT is the worst of the three.

lol.. md and dc roads are all effed up. they're too windy
and curvy and run down from so many drivers and busses.
md's bridges aren't even plumb with their roads. every time
you go on a maryland bridge, it's like driving over a railroad
track. va has some of the best roads in the country outside
the overpopulated areas of fairfax county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Part of the way DC is improving itself is actually by dumping a lot of the ghetto folks into Maryland, especially PG County and even Montgomery. Less of them go to Virginia, like less illegals also go to Virginia since Virginia is more conservative and gives out less freebies than Maryland.
As a whole yes, but Arlington is DC jr. when it comes to be liberal

Old 07-12-2012, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
I think it is very interesting that the speed limit is 50 and you were clocked at 62 because that is exactly what I was told in my email ticket. I wonder how many people have been cited that way? Also is there a speed limit sign anywhere so that you know you are no longer on I-295.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Quote:
VDOT is the one with the lousy signage. MdDOT is a little better at that. DCDOT is the worst of the three.
A good example of DC's lack of signage, is on Connecticut Ave. beside the Wardman Park and Shoreham Hotels, where there is a hidden entrance ramp onto Rock Creek Parkway but it is not marked by any sign whatsoever.

Unless it's changed recently, major suburban Virginia intersections as I recall have only very tiny signs high overhead that are hard to read at night or in the rain. Maryland by contrast has large overhead signs with giant print, strung up across all major intersections. For that matter, Maryland state highways have wide paved shoulders, making them bicycle-friendly. Virginia state highways only have dirt shoulders.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM

54 posts, read 105,426 times
Quote:
If you got a camera ticket you were either not on I-95, or you were in a construction zone.
I-295 actually has a camera where it's 4 lanes. Of course 95 doesn't have cameras because DC has no jurisdiction over it. It's a straight shoot out to PG from Alexandria City. I honestly think it's ridiculous that they put out those cameras on 395 and 295. Last time I checked, I think the 295 one is stationary and the 395 one is mobile. They usually put it near the US senate exit. The speed limit on 395 is also ridiculous. 40MPH on an INTERSTATE. They might as well had made the terminus of 395 by the pentagon and made the DC part of 395 a local highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
95 was initially supposed to go straght through DC from College Park but there were freeway revolts in the ghetto. Both DC and to a lesser extent Baltimore traffic could be improved today if all the initial freeway construction plans through the city centers had been implemented but thats another discussion for another day!
Not necessarily. What was supposed to be I-95 is now 395. It wasn't just "the ghetto", but it was the area around Capitol Hill. The rowhomes near NY Ave & Massachusetts would have been destroyed.

I295 could have easily been 95 by taking DC & MD 295 and converting into a full interstate. Would be better than the reverse C shape that is 95/495.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post

Not necessarily. What was supposed to be I-95 is now 395. It wasn't just "the ghetto", but it was the area around Capitol Hill. The rowhomes near NY Ave & Massachusetts would have been destroyed.

I295 could have easily been 95 by taking DC & MD 295 and converting into a full interstate. Would be better than the reverse C shape that is 95/495.
The freeway was built all the way to NY Ave. Any row homes that were going to get destroyed, were destroyed. The amount of other homes that would have been destroyed, are not as many as you might think. I don't think that is the reason it wasn't built. Regardless, they should at least build it now. Some of the right of way still exists, or so I heard. Barring that, yes, I would like to see 295 upgraded to full Interstate standards, all the way from Greenbelt to the Wilson Bridge. After that, name it 95. That would be acceptable to me.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM

54 posts, read 105,426 times
^^^

Wouldn't that destroy the Shaw, Logan Circle, Congress Heights, and the neighborhoods around it to run it as it was originally meant to be run? I never seen the plans for the interstate but to connect it to the 495/95 split, I know it would practically put a physical border in between MoCo and PG.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Not just "ghetto" residents. The citizens of Takoma Park, MD, and their late mayor Sam Abbott were also instrumental, decades ago, in stopping I-95 from going through central D.C.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
^^^

Wouldn't that destroy the Shaw, Logan Circle, Congress Heights, and the neighborhoods around it to run it as it was originally meant to be run? I never seen the plans for the interstate but to connect it to the 495/95 split, I know it would practically put a physical border in between MoCo and PG.
To just extend 95 in MD to 395 at NY Ave (and rename it 95), the answer would be no. It sounds like you're thinking of the other parts of the plan, which might destroy those neighborhoods. I only want to see 95 connected to 395. We don't need the rest of the plan. Any kind border that might be created between MoCo and PG is not a problem from my perspective. 95 is already there, and I don't see it causing a border between the two.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
I understand the need to enforce the traffic violations like speeding and running red lights but when the tickets are $125 a pop and will double to $250 in 30 days if unpaid - that is absolutely ridiculous! That can seriously be make or break for a person with only 30 days to decide whether to get groceries, pay a bill or forsake that to pay a $125 cam ticket! Especially when in our neighboring state of Maryland, cam tickets are only $40 with minor increases if not paid in 30 days. It's absolutely disgusting! I've been fortunate to be able to pay the few I have gotten - not that I can't think of a million other things I can do with $125 but I think about those who can't. The fine is just way too high!

I also think it's funny that they think the speed traps make the roads safer when the way people SLAM on their brakes as they approach them (especially on the Main Ave ramp) it's just an accident waiting to happen. Think about it, residents and frequent visitors learn (often the $125 way) where they are but we have millions of tourists coming to this city a year - they don't know and may be not paying attention when the resident in front of them slams breaks to avoid a ticket. Revenue generator - ABSOLUTELY! Care for driver safety & wellbeing - NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC