Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,981 times

Advertisements

So glad I moved out of that region. I used to get so many tickets in DC via those cameras it didn't make any sense. I was used to driving fast in Europe and Atlanta. You might not believe this but within like 2 years I got like 10+ tickets and I paid them all on time. On my 12th ticket they said since I paid all my other tickets on time that they would give me this ticket "warning" and I didn't have to pay. Im sure they hated when I moved because I brought them some revenue!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 03:33 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bauer View Post
Speed Trap. No Question! Driver's Beware. I just got hit with one of the camera tickets doing 61 in the 50 zone as we left DC on 10:30 05 JUL and headed north to see my 86 year old father in NJ. I'm 62 myself and driving a 2008 Hyundai Accent --- a real muscle car. There were no cars in miles of us. I'm from NC. This had to be a present from Washington, DC to raise revenue for the folks unlucky enough to live there. It will be the last time we ever visit to see the fireworks on our nation's capital. This learning experience cost me a hundred dollars. I'm tired of getting an education which grabs dollars from my wallet.
How does going 61 in a 50 zone make it a speed trap?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times
Received mine yesterday going 61mph in the 50mph zone heading south on 295 on 07/05/15 for a 100.00. No where did I see any speed limit sign change from the 55mph to 50mph. So I guess I just donated to the DC 295 Speed Trap Fund. I wonder if is a tax deduction?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
I may have said this here already?? but the speed cameras on both northbound and southbound I-295 at "Exit 1 - Naval Research Lab" are THE BUSIEST, and issue more tickets than any other camera in D.C.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:20 PM

340 posts, read 377,251 times
I haven't seen much talk about this, but I can't be the only person who thinks 295 is overdue for expansion. The interstate is just always backed up during daylight hours and it's really unsafe. The cameras only make it worse bc you have ppl slamming on breaks randomly up and down the interstate

There are long stretches without a shoulder on the road for distressed vehicles to pull off
There are long stretches of highway with only 2 lanes
There is almost constantly construction cutting the highway lanes down
There are no HOV lanes

The population in the are is expanding, gentrification and expansion all up and down 295 from the National Harbor to Anacostia up into NE DC. It's time to expand 295 to fit the current traffic needs in the area.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I haven't seen much talk about this, but I can't be the only person who thinks 295 is overdue for expansion. The interstate is just always backed up during daylight hours and it's really unsafe. The cameras only make it worse bc you have ppl slamming on breaks randomly up and down the interstate

There are long stretches without a shoulder on the road for distressed vehicles to pull off
There are long stretches of highway with only 2 lanes
There is almost constantly construction cutting the highway lanes down
There are no HOV lanes

The population in the are is expanding, gentrification and expansion all up and down 295 from the National Harbor to Anacostia up into NE DC. It's time to expand 295 to fit the current traffic needs in the area.
Just one minor point. The parts without shoulders, etc... is not part of the Interstate. That's why it's named DC-295 on those portions. It's not up to Interstate standards. You may know this already, but I couldn't tell for sure. I agree that it is long past due to upgrade that portion.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,609 times
The point is I was just getting on the interstate or what I thought was an interstate. I did not see the sign.
There are minimum speed limits on interstates of 45 MPH. I would've had to : a.) seen the sign and b.) driven the speed limit before passing the sign. I wasn't passing anybody and there was no congestion.
I agree congestion regulates speeds more than signs. Why don't they lower the limit for longer stretches then?
Or have toll booths. It would achieve the same result, but the fee would presumably be less than $100.
If it wasn't a speed trap, there never would've been the first post. I'm certain mine wont be the last.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bauer View Post
The point is I was just getting on the interstate or what I thought was an interstate. I did not see the sign.
There are minimum speed limits on interstates of 45 MPH. I would've had to : a.) seen the sign and b.) driven the speed limit before passing the sign. I wasn't passing anybody and there was no congestion.
I agree congestion regulates speeds more than signs. Why don't they lower the limit for longer stretches then?
Or have toll booths. It would achieve the same result, but the fee would presumably be less than $100.
If it wasn't a speed trap, there never would've been the first post. I'm certain mine wont be the last.
The sign is there. Not seeing it is not a defense. I do agree the speed limit is too low at points along 295.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,378 times
its probably been said already but......if you pay attention after driving up and down the 295 you quickly find out where the cameras are and slow down until youre a good 200 ft past them.......theyre big gray boxes on the side of the road........

putting speed cameras on an interstate is not a good idea to me bc like someone said, people slam their brakes to avoid the cameras and that causes accidents.......

Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
Come on guys. All of the negative comments have one thing in comment. THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE INITIAL POSTERS QUESTION. When one leaves National Harbor and the road changes to DC295, there is no difference in the width or danger or the road. It is not narrow, and there are no low bridges. If you don't see the one posted speed limit sign, you would never know the road changed. Now when you get closer to the city, yes, the road becomes more dangerous, but there are also many more literal and figurative signs that would give you warning.

That said, yes the limit drops to 50 when you reach the city limits. I don't know if the limit on the fringe changed from 55 with the addition of the camera, but my guess is it didn't. As far as fighting a ticket, a local radio show mentioned its worth doing. You went 11-15MPH over the speed limit, and the lower threshold is only 2MPH lower than the speed you were traveling. At the very least you should go with the "guilty with explanation" option, or whatever language they use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC