Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,910,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyoweii View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a young professional in Atlanta, who graduated from college last year and has been working at a private company since graduation. I recently received two job offers that require relocation to Minneapolis and Washington DC respectively. The job at Minneapolis is at a fortune 500 company that offers $60+k, whereas the Washington DC job is at a consulting firm with $50+k salary.

As I really LOVE the lifestyle in big cities, I will pick washington dc location wise without hesitation. I also personally value the consulting job (washington dc) experience more, but I think it's somewhat underpaid (lower than my current salary). On the other hand, the Minneapolis job is in a fortune 500 firm, so the experience could not be bad, and the pay is 10k higher!!

I'm really torn between these two choices. (fyi. staying in Atlanta has been ruled out.) Which one would you suggest please? Could you also give me some ideas in the following criteria for both cities:
- young adult lifestyle/entertainment
- food and shopping
- people: young professionals and networks
- career opportunities
- estimated monthly cost of living with roommate(s) in a safe neighborhood
- crime

To help you understand my situation better, I'm hoping to get into a good business school, after another 2 years of work experience at the new company. So working in the company and the city (in terms of experience and networking, etc.) that is helpful with my mba preparation/application is also very important.

So all in all, do you think I should choose Minneapolis with a higher income or Washington DC with a more preferable lifestyle? Your honest advice is truly appreciated!!
50k is not high income in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM

45,618 posts, read 61,049,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyoweii View Post
Thank you so much for your reply!! The reason I kinda like the DC job more in spite of its lower pay is because after living in atlanta for 4 year (the 2nd tier city in my mind), it makes me very much want to live in a bigger city that has more young, ambitious people around. In other words, I think my job at the big fortune 500 corp in minneapolis will be rewarding, but slow, whereas the dc consulting job will be underpaid and stressful, (even makes my life miserable time to time), but fulfilling and exciting.

Since my dream business school is in neither dc nor minneapolis, do you mind helping me compare the 2 cities, in terms of:
- top 30 consulting firm vs. top 30 fortune 500 firm for pre-MBA
- make the right connections/networks
- be motivated by the similar minds
- future job opportunities

To be honest, the 10k pay difference/cost of living difference is not the most important factor for me, making the decision. The real question is if the dc experience is worth me giving up a better paid job?

I look forward to your further advice. Thanks again!!!

It will be when you're eating ramen noodles for the 3rd time this week. Pay attention to the post that compares cost of living-that 31.9% is a huge difference.

You're coming here with private experience and starting at only a few thousand more than 1st year teacher pay.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM

281 posts, read 814,875 times
I'd chose Minneapolis if I were you. I know Minneapolis well having grown up in MN. It is cheaper to live and that will matter when you want to do stuff. I agree about the consulting - that's kind of an all encompassing term here in the DC area and means different things depending on level.

My sister started out with Anderson (CPA) then went to Best Buy (Finance) then went to Microsoft (Business Consultant division) then now to Target (Tech). Along the way she had MANY MANY more offers she didn't take that were viable (some in DC area). She currently makes a phenomenal salary, amazing bonus, loves her job. All of these were in MN except a two year stint in Dallas TX which she only did to get the experience she needed - and a lot of what she is doing now relates to doing her time there away from where she wanted to be (MN) - great career move for her. She started as a CPA and is now in Tech. Business skills can be translated and transferred. I always think that having major corporate knowledge gives better prep for consulting than the other way around..but I'm not in corporate so that could just be me (in my area that's how it works..you wouldn't get hired to consult without a lot of industry experience first)

Night life, culture, arts - you'd be surprised what Minneapolis has available (I was!). It doesn't have Smithsonian's and all that but it does have culture/arts that is vibrant.

I am here in DC (and not in Minneapolis) because I work in Higher Ed and Non Profit for which DC is a great fit for me. If I were going to use my MBA in Finance I would most likely be in Minneapolis or I'd of stayed in Southern California (or moved to Northern California).

JMHO of course. Take some of that extra $10K and buy yourself a plan ticket for a vacation in DC for a week to see the sights

I love living here BTW...I'm trying to think of it as related to your situation.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,477,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
I'd chose Minneapolis if I were you. I know Minneapolis well having grown up in MN. It is cheaper to live and that will matter when you want to do stuff. I agree about the consulting - that's kind of an all encompassing term here in the DC area and means different things depending on level.

My sister started out with Anderson (CPA) then went to Best Buy (Finance) then went to Microsoft (Business Consultant division) then now to Target (Tech). Along the way she had MANY MANY more offers she didn't take that were viable (some in DC area). She currently makes a phenomenal salary, amazing bonus, loves her job. All of these were in MN except a two year stint in Dallas TX which she only did to get the experience she needed - and a lot of what she is doing now relates to doing her time there away from where she wanted to be (MN) - great career move for her. She started as a CPA and is now in Tech. Business skills can be translated and transferred. I always think that having major corporate knowledge gives better prep for consulting than the other way around..but I'm not in corporate so that could just be me (in my area that's how it works..you wouldn't get hired to consult without a lot of industry experience first)

Night life, culture, arts - you'd be surprised what Minneapolis has available (I was!). It doesn't have Smithsonian's and all that but it does have culture/arts that is vibrant.

I am here in DC (and not in Minneapolis) because I work in Higher Ed and Non Profit for which DC is a great fit for me. If I were going to use my MBA in Finance I would most likely be in Minneapolis or I'd of stayed in Southern California (or moved to Northern California).

JMHO of course. Take some of that extra $10K and buy yourself a plan ticket for a vacation in DC for a week to see the sights

I love living here BTW...I'm trying to think of it as related to your situation.
Great post although the way things are going in California it won't be a place for MBAs either.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,865,183 times
A lot of great advice one here!

OP, I am curious-- did you decide? If so, what did you decide to do?

Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
A lot of great advice one here!

OP, I am curious-- did you decide? If so, what did you decide to do?
I'm not the OP....but I did follow his Minneapolis thread.

He got enamored with the idea of MPLS, and chose that city.

Just stating it, as it seems doubtful that he'd revisit this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: