Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,926,441 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are a number of people living in DC who have absolutely no idea who Chuck Brown was.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM

361 posts, read 856,982 times
I've been in DC nearly 20 years, am Black and I don't claim Chuck Brown and go-go the way natives do. I've no problem with new comers or anybody else riding the bandwagon to pay homage to Chuck, his music and his legacy; better that than the collective yawn I've seen from many others, met with the lame attempts at those "hip" to the genre attempting to explain go-go on some musical, intellectual level...

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM

258 posts, read 536,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Section 8?
Is that all you got?
Has it ever occurred to you that I just might be part of the very same demographic I despise?
The only exception in my case being I was born and raised in DC.

I was already online with internet access over 20 years ago.
Owned my first laptop in the mid 1980s.
man, you probably paid $15k for it too. 5mb hard drive and a 5 inch floppy disk...........

Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times
Chuck Brown and Go-Go seems like a unifier to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,487,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Chuck Brown and Go-Go seems like a unifier to me.
You would think. It's very hard to live in DC and not know who chuck brown is. Or GoGo. Chances are if someone says they don't know, they are being obtuse on purpose.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
You would think. It's very hard to live in DC and not know who chuck brown is. Or GoGo. Chances are if someone says they don't know, they are being obtuse on purpose.
Not necessarily. If you live in a highrise in Cleveland Park around nothing but other transplants, why would you know who Chuck Brown was?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 AM

291 posts, read 639,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
What are you getting at?
What does this have to do with anything I said?
If you are a fan from Iowa who is white then go.
If you are a black from DC who is not a fan then dont go.

Simple as that.

But we all know there are people out there with ulterior motives for just about everything.

"Like Yah!"
"I like went to the Chuck Brown service Yah even though I like, like, like, cannot name 1 of his songs but I still went."
"Like Yah! I was there. Yah!"
"I am about to upload the pics to my urban blog. Like Yah!"
Yes, there are annoying hipsters and perhaps a few of them might show up at a service or memorial for Chuck Brown. They have every right to do so and there's nothing any of us can do to stop them.

What's ironic is that Chuck Brown was a pretty open artist and outgoing guy who wasn't afraid to cross boundaries and genres. Don't forget he helped discover Eva Cassidy. It's a shame he's been so pigeonholed into being strictly "go-go" and "DC". It's just as annoying to simplify and calcify his legacy in one way. He was around for decades and an ambassador and mentor for artists for generations.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Yes, there are annoying hipsters and perhaps a few of them might show up at a service or memorial for Chuck Brown. They have every right to do so and there's nothing any of us can do to stop them.
Tell the Black Panther Party that.

New Black Panther in Philadelphia on Election Day 2010 - YouTube

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 643,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
I think those who do go will do so because they respected the man, enjoyed his music, and just want to pay respects
I am not going to sit here and pretend I was a die hard fan of his but he was definitely a Washington DC area legend.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 643,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
man, you probably paid $15k for it too. 5mb hard drive and a 5 inch floppy disk...........
A family member gave it to us after they bought a new one.
We would play games on it every day for hours.

One of the games had monkeys jumping out of a burning building onto trampolines below and you had to maneuver the trampolines accordingly so they could land safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: