Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

But seriously, Gustavo, keep the fight going. Eventually, you and a few others in this forum will be happy to know that you guys managed to wipe out everyone who does not make a six-figure income and have at least three university degrees. .
Welcome to a competitive, world class city. You have to pay to play. And pay requires hard work. DC is no different than any other city in America, and does not deserve any additional excuse.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
Quote:
A few comments to the garbage posted by "GustavoFring".

1. DC was not a **** poor city before the Big Gentrification Wave hit from the mid-1990s to the current year. You found steady retail growth, safe neighborhoods, restaurants: in sum, an excellent quality of life in some Wards of the District. Notably if you lived in Wards 2 and 3. The downtown sections had tons of small business activity.

2. "The previous occupiers of DC". You mean black people. You mean working class and struggling middle class black people who once lived in Columbia Heights, Logan Circle, Capitol Hill and so on. You do realize that these "previous occupiers" fought hard to keep their neighborhoods safe from the crack dealers and street crew thugs. You do realize that there was a greater number of independent, black-owned businesses that provided useful services to the communities.

3. Hundreds of years of institutional discrimination against blacks in terms of education, wealth creation and job opportunities prevents black citizens from attaining the comfortable wealth and security of those "mocha-toting hipsters" enjoy today.

But seriously, Gustavo, keep the fight going. Eventually, you and a few others in this forum will be happy to know that you guys managed to wipe out everyone who does not make a six-figure income and have at least three university degrees. Let's give a big assist to the local politicians, the corrupt & authoritarian police department and the real estate developers. Total annihilation. Erasing socio-economic classes. Erasing the racial dynamic that has existed in a community for DECADES. Erasing senior citizens and the youth. Erasing whole families.

That's called genocide.
1) DC has always had some nice parts throughout its history. But its population was draining, crime reached all time highs, and the city was dubbed the "Murder capital of the US." You can't argue these things aren't true. By almost any measure, DC is better off today - and by far.

2) Do you ever even go into these areas? There are plenty of middle class blacks still in those neighborhoods. The difference is that there are also plenty of white people do. Oh, the horror! This plays into some interesting irony as I'm sure Coldbliss is a major advocate of diversity, yet laments diversity when it means more white people.

3) Wow.. again open your eyes. Do you even spend any time in the city? Many of these "mocha-toting hipsters" - are black people!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Welcome to a competitive, world class city. You have to pay to play. And pay requires hard work. DC is no different than any other city in America, and does not deserve any additional excuse.
Ot just the luck of being born into the right family.

I used to stop at the McDonald's every day near Gallery Place for my daily Egg McMuffin (healthy, right). The same girl who took my order at 9:30 in the morning would still be there when I left work at 8:30 at night (standing the entire time). That's hard work.

And how about the day laborers who patiently wait for work outside of the Home Depot on Rhode Island Avenue? Those guys put their health at risk every single day of the week for peanuts. I'd much rather sit at a desk in a plush air conditioned office than toil outside in 90 degree temperatures removing tree stumps (which is TOUGH work).

Hard work and good pay hardly go hand in hand.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
Quote:
. Total annihilation. Erasing socio-economic classes. Erasing the racial dynamic that has existed in a community for DECADES. Erasing senior citizens and the youth. Erasing whole families.

That's called genocide.

I have relatives who were in Auschwitz.

I live in a down market suburb.

If you think moving to a down market suburb of DC is equivalent to genocide, you are insane.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM

290 posts, read 633,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

That's hilarious. Maybe that's what that cop who broke up that snowball fight in the middle of U Street said a couple years ago.

D.C. Snowball Fight Sets Cop Off - YouTube

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM

290 posts, read 633,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I have relatives who were in Auschwitz.

I live in a down market suburb.

If you think moving to a down market suburb of DC is equivalent to genocide, you are insane.

Um, this was a thread on Chuck Brown, right?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Um, this was a thread on Chuck Brown, right?
You can see what I responded to.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ot just the luck of being born into the right family.

I used to stop at the McDonald's every day near Gallery Place for my daily Egg McMuffin (healthy, right). The same girl who took my order at 9:30 in the morning would still be there when I left work at 8:30 at night (standing the entire time). That's hard work.

And how about the day laborers who patiently wait for work outside of the Home Depot on Rhode Island Avenue? Those guys put their health at risk every single day of the week for peanuts. I'd much rather sit at a desk in a plush air conditioned office than toil outside in 90 degree temperatures removing tree stumps (which is TOUGH work).

Hard work and good pay hardly go hand in hand.
And the luck of being born into the right environment. There are cancerous elements in the attitudes of the people in my neighborhood that have deep roots in the community. Things like working at McDonald's or being a day laborer are viewed as virtuous, which is fine, however things like putting on a shirt and tie and taking an internship in an office are viewed as selling out, which is harmful.

In community meetings, the local community leaders repeat the same calls for more jobs, more opportunities, more businesses, more more more more. They make demands upon everyone else, but outside those meetings there is an environment of contempt for the fundamental means to achieve those goals themselves. New businesses open in my neighborhood despite the locals, not because of them.

It would be an incredible feat of willpower for a family with the best intentions to raise a child to overcome that environment. We certainly have examples of people who have have built something for themselves, but for the most part the community in Shaw self-enforces the status quo.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
What are you getting at?
What does this have to do with anything I said?
If you are a fan from Iowa who is white then go.
If you are a black from DC who is not a fan then dont go.

Simple as that.

But we all know there are people out there with ulterior motives for just about everything.

"Like Yah!"
"I like went to the Chuck Brown service Yah even though I like, like, like, cannot name 1 of his songs but I still went."
"Like Yah! I was there. Yah!"
"I am about to upload the pics to my urban blog. Like Yah!"
People can go wherever they want, it's not really any of your business if someone wants to go to someone's funeral. What's wrong with chronicling an event, it's called being a reporter.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 61,740 times
Wow, WASHINGTON BULLETS. You have the worst attitude of anyone I've ever come across. Why don't you just say it... "move the eff out of my town whitie"

Your view points are a slap in the face to every black person I've ever worked with. When they talk about the "old DC"-- they must be talking about people like you. The way you separate yourself from others... will always keep you behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: