Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 AM

70 posts, read 183,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseysbest View Post
Wow, WASHINGTON BULLETS. You have the worst attitude of anyone I've ever come across. Why don't you just say it... "move the eff out of my town whitie"

Your view points are a slap in the face to every black person I've ever worked with. When they talk about the "old DC"-- they must be talking about people like you. The way you separate yourself from others... will always keep you behind.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,450,242 times
I hope dc has a parade for good ol' chuck.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM

339 posts, read 517,433 times
Quick note: People keep on referencing "hipsters" in this thread. There are very, very few hipsters in DC. Most of the young white people in DC are yuppies in business casual who work in NGOs, for politicians or in law firms.

Hipsters are film-makers, musicians, artists, bartenders, craft food producers, brewers, etc. They generally come from the same background as the other white people in urban areas, but have chosen to (usually, although not always) make less money in exchange for following their passion. They dress differently, have a more laid back attitude and tend to value different things than yuppies.

Hipsters are very common in more arts-centered cities, such as New York, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, etc. as well as most college towns. DC has some and the population is growing, but it's still a small population.

Of course, hipster fashion has become the dominant force in urban America, so the gays started adopting it a few years ago, and more recently yuppies have thrown off their 80s-inspired high fashion for skinny jeans and non-prescription glasses (when they're not doing their best Don Draper impression, that is), but that doesn't make them a "hipster" in any real sense.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,353,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Quick note: People keep on referencing "hipsters" in this thread. There are very, very few hipsters in DC. Most of the young white people in DC are yuppies in business casual who work in NGOs, for politicians or in law firms.

Hipsters are film-makers, musicians, artists, bartenders, craft food producers, brewers, etc. They generally come from the same background as the other white people in urban areas, but have chosen to (usually, although not always) make less money in exchange for following their passion. They dress differently, have a more laid back attitude and tend to value different things than yuppies.

Hipsters are very common in more arts-centered cities, such as New York, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, etc. as well as most college towns. DC has some and the population is growing, but it's still a small population.

Of course, hipster fashion has become the dominant force in urban America, so the gays started adopting it a few years ago, and more recently yuppies have thrown off their 80s-inspired high fashion for skinny jeans and non-prescription glasses (when they're not doing their best Don Draper impression, that is), but that doesn't make them a "hipster" in any real sense.
Sounds like hipsters have changed since the 1990s than. I use to live in Portland, New York and San Francisco...and back in those days, hipsters were basically low-paid, recent college grads, with liberal art degrees...who seemed incapable of getting out of the Barista or Bookstore Clerk scenes.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,450,242 times
hipster fashion is weak.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:23 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,811,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Welcome to a competitive, world class city. You have to pay to play. And pay requires hard work. DC is no different than any other city in America, and does not deserve any additional excuse.
Yeah, so you destroy it for those people whose families have been here for generations with your gentrification and your 'hip' BS. Wonderful.

Frankly, your attitude turns my stomach and it's the primary reason why I hate it here now. It wasn't always like this but is now.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM

939 posts, read 1,899,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Yeah, so you destroy it for those people whose families have been here for generations with your gentrification and your 'hip' BS. Wonderful.

Frankly, your attitude turns my stomach and it's the primary reason why I hate it here now. It wasn't always like this but is now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...ashington,_D.C.

Whites were the majority by far from the first year of statistics in 1800 until around 1955. Then African Americans became the majority. Crime also skyrocketed in the second half of the 20th century ( District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 - 2010 ; unfortunately this site only has statistics going back to 1960) . Like I said, the last generation has had 40-50 years to figure it out, and they haven't. Thanks to high gas prices and the desire to be in urban, walkable communities, those who fled high crime for the burb's in the 60s are coming back. They're coming back, buying everything up, and making DC a livable city again. As they come back, crime is going down and overall quality life is improving for EVERYONE, including those who have been here forever. The only difference is that you're not getting it for cheap anymore. Want a cheap, safe and nice city? You can only pick two of those adjectives.

I understand being bitter if you're one of the ones being priced out, but don't pretend like gentrifiers owe you something.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,811,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...ashington,_D.C.

Whites were the majority by far from the first year of statistics in 1800 until around 1955. Then African Americans became the majority. Crime also skyrocketed in the second half of the 20th century ( District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 - 2010 ; unfortunately this site only has statistics going back to 1960) . Like I said, the last generation has had 40-50 years to figure it out, and they haven't. Thanks to high gas prices and the desire to be in urban, walkable communities, those who fled high crime for the burb's in the 60s are coming back. They're coming back, buying everything up, and making DC a livable city again. As they come back, crime is going down and overall quality life is improving for EVERYONE, including those who have been here forever. The only difference is that you're not getting it for cheap anymore. Want a cheap, safe and nice city? You can only pick two of those adjectives.

I understand being bitter if you're one of the ones being priced out, but don't pretend like gentrifiers owe you something.
LOL... thanks for the assinine assumption. Nobody 'owes' me a damn thing... I carry myself quite well but I also think of others not just myself. And I think the idea of this city being nothing more than a Vegas-style playground for nouveau-riche hotshots while the natives are being forced out and having to endure even harder times is repugnant. On top of all that is the fact that this city is fueled by the hardworking citizens of this nation but you'd never know it from the arrogant and entitled attitudes of its new arrivals. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with people getting rich off the backs of taxpayers.

That GSA video is an excellent visual of what this city has turned into in terms of attitudes.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM

30 posts, read 61,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
LOL... thanks for the assinine assumption. Nobody 'owes' me a damn thing... I carry myself quite well but I also think of others not just myself. And I think the idea of this city being nothing more than a Vegas-style playground for nouveau-riche hotshots while the natives are being forced out and having to endure even harder times is repugnant. On top of all that is the fact that this city is fueled by the hardworking citizens of this nation but you'd never know it from the arrogant and entitled attitudes of its new arrivals. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with people getting rich off the backs of taxpayers.

That GSA video is an excellent visual of what this city has turned into in terms of attitudes.
Your entire post is filled with assinine assumptions.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM

361 posts, read 857,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post

This extended definition here is meant to be ironic right? Would a true hipster ever define "hipster" or acknowledge their hipsterness? And hipsters can only be white, by definition? And lawyers and other "yuppies" can't be following their passion, by definition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: