Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM

361 posts, read 857,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...ashington,_D.C.

Whites were the majority by far from the first year of statistics in 1800 until around 1955. Then African Americans became the majority. Crime also skyrocketed in the second half of the 20th century ( District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 - 2010 ; unfortunately this site only has statistics going back to 1960) . Like I said, the last generation has had 40-50 years to figure it out, and they haven't. Thanks to high gas prices and the desire to be in urban, walkable communities, those who fled high crime for the burb's in the 60s are coming back. They're coming back, buying everything up, and making DC a livable city again. As they come back, crime is going down and overall quality life is improving for EVERYONE, including those who have been here forever. The only difference is that you're not getting it for cheap anymore. Want a cheap, safe and nice city? You can only pick two of those adjectives.

I understand being bitter if you're one of the ones being priced out, but don't pretend like gentrifiers owe you something.

Dude, this is such a shallow analysis.... What about the droves of middle class Blacks that left DC during the same period? The breakdown of the family of those left behind? Economic conditions? The rise of the Black political class that that partnered with wealthy mostly white developers and facilitated gentrification? The 2nd generation Black homeowners who opted to cash out and are living fine in NC, GA, SC, etc? Mortgage redlining? The changing definition of "crime"? The crack epidemic? The generational wealth advantage white have?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,470,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
And I think the idea of this city being nothing more than a Vegas-style playground for nouveau-riche hotshots while the natives are being forced out and having to endure even harder times is repugnant.
It seems as though when DC is bust the natives are forced to endure harder times, and when DC booms the natives are forced to endure harder times. Whether the other people are coming or going, it's all their fault. Funny how that works.

I take it you haven't been to Vegas.

Quote:
On top of all that is the fact that this city is fueled by the hardworking citizens of this nation but you'd never know it from the arrogant and entitled attitudes of its new arrivals. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with people getting rich off the backs of taxpayers.
a) I don't know any federal employees who are getting rich and b) find transplants to be a pretty diverse reflection of the various places they come from. Maybe the bitterness of a significant minority of DC locals is the only relative constant.

Quote:
That GSA video is an excellent visual of what this city has turned into in terms of attitudes.
You're saying that video is an accurate characterization of DC? It's not even an accurate characterization of GSA. Your average day at GSA isn't a party.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,902,759 times
Quote:
LOL... thanks for the assinine assumption. Nobody 'owes' me a damn thing... I carry myself quite well but I also think of others not just myself. And I think the idea of this city being nothing more than a Vegas-style playground for nouveau-riche hotshots while the natives are being forced out and having to endure even harder times is repugnant. On top of all that is the fact that this city is fueled by the hardworking citizens of this nation but you'd never know it from the arrogant and entitled attitudes of its new arrivals. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with people getting rich off the backs of taxpayers.

That GSA video is an excellent visual of what this city has turned into in terms of attitudes.
The only "entitled" and "arrogant" attitudes I'm reading about on here are those who seem to think white people, particularly young white people with somewhat decent incomes, have no business living in Washington, DC. Apparently, they are racists who are afraid to live among minorities when they flee to the fringes of the region (as they do in most American cities), and they are racists when they choose to live among minorities and actually try and improve the city because they are "forcing poor people out."

You cannot win for losing with this crowd, folks.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM

585 posts, read 2,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Will gentrifiers & recent arrivals try to include themselves in the upcoming Chuck Brown memorial services & related events or will they mostly stay away?
The real question here is since you are DC's longest lifetime resident, are YOU going to be the first one at the memorial service? And are you going to Instagram it from your iPhone so the gentrifiers that aren't allowed to attend according to you can at least live through your experience since you're the only one in town who has been here long enough to deserve such an honor?

You better hurry up and come up with the official memorial hashtag for tweeting the event before some jerk who has only been here for 6 years does!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 AM

12 posts, read 19,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Quick note: People keep on referencing "hipsters" in this thread. There are very, very few hipsters in DC. Most of the young white people in DC are yuppies in business casual who work in NGOs, for politicians or in law firms.

Hipsters are film-makers, musicians, artists, bartenders, craft food producers, brewers, etc. They generally come from the same background as the other white people in urban areas, but have chosen to (usually, although not always) make less money in exchange for following their passion. They dress differently, have a more laid back attitude and tend to value different things than yuppies.

Hipsters are very common in more arts-centered cities, such as New York, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, etc. as well as most college towns. DC has some and the population is growing, but it's still a small population.

Of course, hipster fashion has become the dominant force in urban America, so the gays started adopting it a few years ago, and more recently yuppies have thrown off their 80s-inspired high fashion for skinny jeans and non-prescription glasses (when they're not doing their best Don Draper impression, that is), but that doesn't make them a "hipster" in any real sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: