Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,360 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've accepted a job in DC, and will be moving in about a month.

I have been to the area recently to decide on a neighborhood, and I believe that Capitol Hill is best suited to my needs. Now I just have to find an apartment...

I have combed Craigslist, and it seems that there are sometimes decent deals there. I have a general feeling for the area of the neighborhood that I'm aiming for, and location is the number one concern. I have the following considerations/details:

1. Budget up to $2000/mo, but realistically I'd like to stay in the $1500 range if possible.

2. Prefer a one bedroom, but a studio will suffice. Square footage is less important than location.

3. Have a small dog. She doesn't need much, but a grassy area right outside the front door is a plus. Proximity to one of the parks would be great (Lincoln area).

4. I'm moving by myself, but my girlfriend will be joining me once she can find a job there as well. The neighborhood will need to be as "safe" as possible so that she can walk the dog at night or in the early morning if required.

5. I have a strong preference for the Eastern Market area, but as long as I'm within about a 10 minute walk (I walk quickly, so I'd say a mile radius) I should be happy.

6. I will sign up to a 1 year lease if I find the right place, but I wouldn't be opposed to even a month-to-month situation given that I'll be by myself at first. A temporary setup would give me a chance to get to know the neighborhood even better before committing for a year. I'm really not into finding a random roommate on Craigslist though, and they probably wouldn't be into the dog, so I'd like to avoid that situation. A 500 sq. ft. month-to-month efficiency would hold me and my clothes and a bed for the time being.

I've of course been told to search Craigslist, but unless I go through a legitimate property manager, I'm not sure how to work that deal remotely. It's also been suggested that I visit during one of the next few weekends and carry around my checkbook to open houses/meet with property managers. I'm told that I'll need to be ready to commit on the spot, which shouldn't be an issue once I find a place that meets the basic criteria. Should I just email/call property managers (I've been looking at Fitzgerald and Novo as I know they have apartments in the area) and see if they can show me something on a Saturday? I'd like to secure something soon since I'll have to move in about a month.

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Any Hill residents here?

I'm specifically interested in finding a place, but would be interested in other discussions about the area if you've personally lived there. For instance, I'm not sure how the street parking pass works and what the boundaries are for that zone (6?).

Old 05-27-2012, 03:51 PM

12 posts, read 19,137 times
If you need to move within one month you're not going to be able to be super picky. I'd take the first place that comes along, as long as it's not a scam.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM

585 posts, read 2,017,913 times
Step 1: Go on Craigslist and find some places you like in that area that fit in your budget.
Step 2: Email those listings and tell them when you will be in the area to look at the place. As Critical Eye pointed out, you don't have much time so you better hurry up and book a flight.
Step 3: Come out here with your checkbook and pick one.

Your other option would be to sacrifice all of these things you are looking for, find something more temporary - house share was what I did when I moved out from California and worked out great so that I could take my time to find a place I liked once I was here, and the homeowner did not care about my cat so your dog may not be as big of an issue as you think - and then take your time searching once you are here. In my experience, being able to take your time will increase your chances of finding something you actually like instead of having to settle because the clock is ticking. Some of the good vacancies are snapped up almost immediately so it really is random.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Eye View Post
If you need to move within one month you're not going to be able to be super picky. I'd take the first place that comes along, as long as it's not a scam.

Any pointers on how to recognize scams? I own a house now, so I've been out of the apartment game for a while. If it's not through a legitimate property manager, how can I be sure that I'm not sending a deposit into a black hole?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Step 1: Go on Craigslist and find some places you like in that area that fit in your budget.
Step 2: Email those listings and tell them when you will be in the area to look at the place. As Critical Eye pointed out, you don't have much time so you better hurry up and book a flight.
Step 3: Come out here with your checkbook and pick one.

Your other option would be to sacrifice all of these things you are looking for, find something more temporary - house share was what I did when I moved out from California and worked out great so that I could take my time to find a place I liked once I was here, and the homeowner did not care about my cat so your dog may not be as big of an issue as you think - and then take your time searching once you are here. In my experience, being able to take your time will increase your chances of finding something you actually like instead of having to settle because the clock is ticking. Some of the good vacancies are snapped up almost immediately so it really is random.
I'm leaning toward the temporary option, though I really would like to be on my own, even if that means I have to find a tiny place that isn't as convenient as I'd like to go monthly.

I'm within driving distance (about 4 hours) so I can get up there and look at places. I've emailed property managers but beyond that I guess I just have to check craigslist the day before I go up there (or the day of) and try to get in contact with people immediately? If email now and go up in a week, I imagine anything decent will already be gone.

If it's a private owner, how do I make sure that what I'm signing/paying for is legitimate? Do they use standard contracts? I guess I'm afraid of a back of the napkin deal and giving someone a month's rent/security deposit, only to find that they ran with my money and I have no place to stay when I get up there.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM

Another thought...

I'll be working near the Navy Yard metro stop. Should I consider the MD stops (like Suitland)? I'd imagine the metro ride from that end isn't awful since I wouldn't have to switch trains, and I might be able to find something quickly that would allow a short term lease.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM

220 posts, read 548,911 times
I used Yarmouth Management (google them - they specialize in Capitol Hill) to view several apartments in Capitol Hill. I found them to be pretty good. You can either look at the listings on their website and let them know which you want to see, or tell them your general criteria and they will select a few listings to show you. I am not familiar with the MD stops, but if you're working in Navy Yard, you might also want to consider living in Navy Yard itself or near the SW Waterfront metro. While neither are the most happening neighborhoods, both are safe enough and have had a lot of redevelopment (new restaurants, etc) in the past few years.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghere View Post
I used Yarmouth Management (google them - they specialize in Capitol Hill) to view several apartments in Capitol Hill. I found them to be pretty good. You can either look at the listings on their website and let them know which you want to see, or tell them your general criteria and they will select a few listings to show you. I am not familiar with the MD stops, but if you're working in Navy Yard, you might also want to consider living in Navy Yard itself or near the SW Waterfront metro. While neither are the most happening neighborhoods, both are safe enough and have had a lot of redevelopment (new restaurants, etc) in the past few years.
Thanks for the reply.

I emailed Yarmouth a few days ago, and they got back to me today and said they currently have nothing pet friendly in my area. Looking at their website, it looks like they aren't a fan of pets in general.

I have a couple leads on places to look at, but fear they may be gone by the time I get up there this weekend and I'll have wasted a trip. Have to try though.

If I could find a temporary (month to month or 3-6 month lease) near the Navy Yard or in SW Waterfront, that would also work. Not where I want to be forever, but it would be fine, especially if I'm there by myself with the dog. Cutting out the commute would be nice. I haven't seen much in that area in terms of short term rentals though.

Thoughts on this area of Capitol Hill? Close to Lincoln Park, and not too far from Eastern Market/metro.

Large renovated 1 bedroom +den, dog friendly Capitol Hill /Eastern Mkt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC