Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,267 times

Advertisements

here is a foolish situation.

I have an acquaintance (which means someone who is too much a pain in the ass to be a friend, but bothers me on the regular) who is a low level federal employee at an HQ somewhere in or around DC-- I don't pay that much attention. Everything about this job bothers the man-- his boss, the coworkers, the pay, the commute, sigh. We have a mutual contact who is a doctor. He went and complained about stress ("anxiety disorder") and got a note excusing him from work FOR A YEAR. That's right. A YEAR. Playa had used up all his vacation and is now on some kind of unpaid leave for a year but he still has a job because he is a gov't worker with tenure.

Now after several months of eatin corn chips and watching sports he has discovered, lord have mercy, that unpaid leave means you *dont* *get* *paid*! This was a shock that sent him to another friend, who works as a social worker. He has applied for public assistance. Emergency assistance. Can't buy food, too "sick" to go back to work (or leave the house except when he wants to meet up for a beer, which he is forever trying to scam someone to pay for), he needs emergency assistance.

My question is, because every loving one of us are payin for this fool to sit on his behind and sing woe is me-- we are paying his salary, and paying to keep his job open, even if he can't/won't do it, can he ALSO get public assistance?? this seems UnREAL to me. I am about to call the man's boss and tell him I know he's playin. Can someone restore my faith in where my tax money may be going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,769,094 times
Ha, first you need some new acquaintances and friends. That doc should be ashamed of himself. But I guess this is DC and corruption runs in it blood.

I don't know how public assistance works, but if someone can't work for a long period of time, even if they're on unpaid leave, I think they should be entitled to it. With that said, I think you should snitch on the doctor AND your acquaintances to who ever does the public assistance. They give public assistance programs like this a bad name.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,462,876 times
If he has been a federal employee for over a year and a half, and his disability will keep him from working for at least a year, as you have said, then he is eligible for disability benefits through the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS).

Through FERS, he is entitled to roughly 60% of his average salary over the past 3 years, minus whatever SS disability benefits he is eligible to receive. The FERS disability is treated as income and is taxed.

If his physician has diagnosed him as incapable of performing any job, as opposed to just his current one, then he should be eligible for SS disability as well. As I mentioned the SS disability benefit is deducted from his FERS benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC