Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yep. Maybe one day the people of DC will get it together and show us there's some logic behind the lever they choose to pull. What a disgrace to the world that the nation's Capital is such a cesspool of fraud and incompetence.
While it's impossible for anyone to be impressed by DC's council, I am confused at the fact that you're blaming the voters rather than the politicians themselves. If I vote for someone who seems good on paper and maybe even met him/her and liked what they said - and they turn out to be corrupt - how is that really my fault? Do I get to administer a 400 question personality test and check their credit before voting? Obviously I'm not talking about MB, but he's only elected by a small portion of the city to represent it and not the city at large. Some members of the council such as Tommy Wells have done some good things so they aren't all horrible.

And despite many of the council's best efforts to do otherwise, the city is prospering and growing, which leads me to believe people put too much stock in how well local politicians can really affect change in their city. Just make sure the trash gets picked up, the infrastructure is usable, and crime isn't out of control. By most of those types of measures, DC is remarkably better than 20 years ago and probably better than most comparable cities.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
you're just complaining but can't do anything
about it. you must be a fake politician lol.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
When I was told another shoe was going to drop this week, I assumed it was about the pending corruption investigation, so that's still out there too.

Anyone have any predictions for the next (interim) Chair? Mary Cheh is the temporary Chair before the special election, and the subsequent selection of an interim chair.
Mary Cheh is wholly unimpressive in my view. I read a quote from her just he other day that sounded like it came from a 19 year old intern. In fact, I read it and re-read it hoping that what I was reading it wrong. That wasn't the first time i've shaken my head at her stance on the issues, either.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
While it's impossible for anyone to be impressed by DC's council, I am confused at the fact that you're blaming the voters rather than the politicians themselves. If I vote for someone who seems good on paper and maybe even met him/her and liked what they said - and they turn out to be corrupt - how is that really my fault? Do I get to administer a 400 question personality test and check their credit before voting? Obviously I'm not talking about MB, but he's only elected by a small portion of the city to represent it and not the city at large. Some members of the council such as Tommy Wells have done some good things so they aren't all horrible.

And despite many of the council's best efforts to do otherwise, the city is prospering and growing, which leads me to believe people put too much stock in how well local politicians can really affect change in their city. Just make sure the trash gets picked up, the infrastructure is usable, and crime isn't out of control. By most of those types of measures, DC is remarkably better than 20 years ago and probably better than most comparable cities.
I blame the voters of DC because ethically challenged candidates find it tenable to put forth their candidacies. If DC voters demanded more transparency and accountability in their government, then those who come forth to run for office would know forthright that the citizens will not tolerate fraud, waste, abuse, and corruption that this city is known for. But the fact of the matter is that Apathy Is King in Washington DC, so of course the citizens get what they deserve through the perpetual malfeasance of its elected leaders.

As I have said before, I firmly believe that the gentrification taking place in DC will ultimately shakedown the Democratic Plantation and Poverty Vote and finally lead to a more qualified candidate pool.

As far as your "400 question personality test" comment.....you can't tell me that you didn't know that Vincent Gray was corrupt to the core. If you didn't recognize that from the outset, then i'd reconcile that YOU are part of the problem. And that's EXACTLY what i'm railing against.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Quote:
I blame the voters of DC because ethically challenged candidates find it tenable to put forth their candidacies. If DC voters demanded more transparency and accountability in their government, then those who come forth to run for office would know forthright that the citizens will not tolerate fraud, waste, abuse, and corruption that this city is known for. But the fact of the matter is that Apathy Is King in Washington DC, so of course the citizens get what they deserve through the perpetual malfeasance of its elected leaders.

As I have said before, I firmly believe that the gentrification taking place in DC will ultimately shakedown the Democratic Plantation and Poverty Vote and finally lead to a more qualified candidate pool.

As far as your "400 question personality test" comment.....you can't tell me that you didn't know that Vincent Gray was corrupt to the core. If you didn't recognize that from the outset, then i'd reconcile that YOU are part of the problem. And that's EXACTLY what i'm railing against.
I did not live here in 2010 but I would not have voted for Gray. I would like to hear why you think the gentrifiers will rail against Democrats or whether you think they will vote for "other kinds" of Democrats or other center or left wing candidates. Because I can tell you that the Republicans have absolutely no chance of making inroads in DC politics anytime soon especially because of the gentrifiers. Perhaps a very centrist Republican with liberal social views, but certainly nobody resembling the Christian Coalition/Tea Party GOP of today.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM

the poverty vote is the black vote.
that's what you really mean, but
somehow you expect people to
give up their party loyalty, when
you would not even do that yourself.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times
I already responded to this Bagger clown.

His assertion that DC will become a majority Republican city with elected Republican officials because of a greater influx of white and professional income earners is complete nonsense.

Washington, DC has the highest population per capita with advanced college degrees. The city also offers lucrative career opportunities for those who have college degrees. These people make a healthy annual income and they can afford to buy property in gentrified areas of DC.

Here's the problem with AeroGuy's argument (aka fantasy): college educated citizens overwhelmingly vote Democratic and identify with liberal/progressive causes. The numbers trend even higher for people with advanced academic degrees (PhDs, JDs, MDs, MAs). You can look at any polling data and original political science research and you will see the proof.

What will happen is that these educated DC residents will demand greater transparency and accountability from their local politicians. But they will vote for candidates who stand for reform and higher ethics with a (D) after the name. And trust me, there are plenty of Democratic candidates who have much higher ethical standards than the clowns serving on the DC Council today. It will be a freezing arctic day in hell before well-educated, well-traveled and multi-cultural residents of The District vote for a conservative politician.

Now if Washington, DC saw a flood of high-school educated, working-class white people from rural areas migrating into the city, then I think the Republican Party has a puncher's chance at winning seats on the Council and the Mayor's office.

The bottom line: Republicans don't do well with educated, secular and multi-racial populations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I did not live here in 2010 but I would not have voted for Gray. I would like to hear why you think the gentrifiers will rail against Democrats or whether you think they will vote for "other kinds" of Democrats or other center or left wing candidates. Because I can tell you that the Republicans have absolutely no chance of making inroads in DC politics anytime soon especially because of the gentrifiers. Perhaps a very centrist Republican with liberal social views, but certainly nobody resembling the Christian Coalition/Tea Party GOP of today.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 AM

people in the northeast are bright enough to
know that having no tax base and no unions
to keep things running as smooth as possible
would not even be safe in such a large population.
that must be the whole point that the republican
party is missing.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
I already responded to this Bagger clown.

His assertion that DC will become a majority Republican city with elected Republican officials because of a greater influx of white and professional income earners is complete nonsense.

Washington, DC has the highest population per capita with advanced college degrees. The city also offers lucrative career opportunities for those who have college degrees. These people make a healthy annual income and they can afford to buy property in gentrified areas of DC.

Here's the problem with AeroGuy's argument (aka fantasy): college educated citizens overwhelmingly vote Democratic and identify with liberal/progressive causes. The numbers trend even higher for people with advanced academic degrees (PhDs, JDs, MDs, MAs). You can look at any polling data and original political science research and you will see the proof.

What will happen is that these educated DC residents will demand greater transparency and accountability from their local politicians. But they will vote for candidates who stand for reform and higher ethics with a (D) after the name. And trust me, there are plenty of Democratic candidates who have much higher ethical standards than the clowns serving on the DC Council today. It will be a freezing arctic day in hell before well-educated, well-traveled and multi-cultural residents of The District vote for a conservative politician.

Now if Washington, DC saw a flood of high-school educated, working-class white people from rural areas migrating into the city, then I think the Republican Party has a puncher's chance at winning seats on the Council and the Mayor's office.

The bottom line: Republicans don't do well with educated, secular and multi-racial populations.

Why do you continue to ignore that I have stated.....REPEATEDLY....that a shift would take decades. Why do you insist on painting my comments that such a shift will happen anytime soon?

Further, why do you insist on ignoring that, considering the number on non-affiliated voters in DC, up to 25% of the registered electorate could actually pull the lever for a centrist conservative. And that's not even counting the number of centrist Democrats that could lean right for the right candidate? Are you familiar at all with the increasing national trend toward Independent voter registration? Why would DC be immune to that trend? It wouldn't, but yet you're not deep enough to entertain such an idea.

All you've shown this "Bagger clown" is that you're not willing to entertain that politics in America are in a state of flux. No one, including me, has stated that Washington DC "will" become a conservative bastion. But you're not intersted in dealing with my statements and my assertions. All you're interested in is putting forth anecdotes that you feel make your case while putting absolutely nothing forward factually that underscores your opinion.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Well said, political leaders don't do the things they do unless someone enable them. If they thought the actions they were taking were going to truly cost them their position they wouldn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC