Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,583,696 times

Advertisements

4 pm is the start of rush hour, and while the traffic going out of DC into Virginia is worse than the other way, it is still not great. DC supposedly has even worse congestion than Atlanta, I have read.
I thought you would be driving to school, not taking public transportation? Glover Park or Cathedral Heights is a really quick drive to school, much much faster than from Virginia. You don't have to take public transportation just because you live in the city. Because there is no metro serving Glover Park, more people own cars there than in many other parts of the city, and like I said it really has a more suburban feel overall.

But in any case, there is nothing to fear about public transportation in DC. Crime can and does happen anywhere but crime is usually lower on public transportation here than on the street. I know in Atlanta the MARTA gets a bad rap for being used by poor people but you have to understand there is no stigma against public transportation here because so many people of all classes use it. You'll see tons of affluent professionals riding the metro or even taking buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM

246 posts, read 590,159 times
Are you really going to drive to Georgetown? That is crazy. Live in the city and take public transportation. Don't go to school in a city and try to pretend you are not. It will only make you miserable. If you insis on bringing your car, which is ridiculous and unnecessary for most in your position, learn to park.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM

27,685 posts, read 28,791,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMoo31 View Post
I don't do well with parallel parking.
Well, that's going to change, because living in the DC area, you'll be parallel parking a LOT.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:03 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,583,696 times
I don't think it's "crazy" to drive to Georgetown if parking is really as cheap for students as the OP said. Just because you live in "the city" doesn't mean a car doesn't come in handy. It definitely does in most of the neighborhoods north and west of Georgetown such as Glover Park because there is no metro and there isn't as much stuff to walk to. Most of the people I know who live around there have cars.
If you're already going to have the car and you live close, you might as well drive if the parking isn't a problem.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,269,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
Are you really going to drive to Georgetown? That is crazy. Live in the city and take public transportation. Don't go to school in a city and try to pretend you are not. It will only make you miserable. If you insis on bringing your car, which is ridiculous and unnecessary for most in your position, learn to park.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:07 PM

246 posts, read 590,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I don't think it's "crazy" to drive to Georgetown if parking is really as cheap for students as the OP said. Just because you live in "the city" doesn't mean a car doesn't come in handy. It definitely does in most of the neighborhoods north and west of Georgetown such as Glover Park because there is no metro and there isn't as much stuff to walk to. Most of the people I know who live around there have cars.
If you're already going to have the car and you live close, you might as well drive if the parking isn't a problem.
He has a $1300/month budget. Yes, I think it is crazy to keep and drive a car if you have to be in the city everyday with that kind of budget. It sounds like he might be trying to get an internship elsewhere in the city also, which would make this plan insane. If instead he already has one outside the city, that would be a different story, but then we would need to know the location before knowing anything else.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 PM

968 posts, read 2,621,224 times
OP, having lived in DC and Atlanta metros, let me provide my 2 cents...

1. Riding the Metro (DC) is a completely different experience than MARTA (Atlanta). Riding public transportation is much more a way of life for many people in DC, MD, and NOVA compared to Atlanta. Please give Metro a chance before you can it. I found the Metro to be far safer than MARTA (including late at night).

2. Atlanta gets (unnecessarily congested) during peak rush hour but the traffic in the DC metro is just freaking awful. It is not the same so just be prepared to adjust your schedule accordingly for commutes (or just ride Metro when possible).

3. You are going to have to parallel park at some point....just start practicing now.

good luck

Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 PM

84 posts, read 57,194 times
It's easy to park on the street in Mt. Pleasant or Columbia Heights. Try to find basement apartment there.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,571 times
UMoo31, this is not Atlanta! When in Rome.. Got it?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,640,504 times
Arlington is extremely popular for people in their 20's. I hear Courthouse and Clarendon are among the most popular areas as well as Pentagon City and Crystal City. There is also, Bethesda, Rockville, and Gaithersburg in MD and Reston and Fairfax in VA. My preference is to live in DC but these towns are nice and provide easy access to DC. Since you'll be attending Georgetown bear in mind the closest metro is Foggy Bottom so you'll have quite walk from here unless you take a metro bus that will get you closer to the campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC