Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM

132 posts, read 357,027 times

Advertisements

I think your best option would be to live on Capitol Hill. Staying around the smaller number streets like 2,3,4 SE & NE. Also, there are nice luxury building around the 400 Block of Massachusetts Ave (425 Mass. Ave. for example). You can walk to school from these areas. Law School is very stressful and you will be back and forth not only for class but also to do research, meet for group projects, meet with advisors, etc... Your stress level will certainly be high, and why add to it with a horrid commute from Pentagon City? Not to mention, there is no 24 hour metro system in DC so staying late to study, etc will be a challenge. If you are worried about seeing idle people walking around like tikadaxx suggests, I have to tell you that you will see this anywhere in the city. On the metro, in the city parks, and even around Pentagon City. It's just part of living in a major metropolitan area. The good news is that these people are not all out to get you. Good luck and I trust you will make the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,760,738 times
1. Where are you from?
2. Capitol Hill area isn't kid friendly, period
3. You could live in the GW campus, but it'll be a lot of money
4. If you could commute every morning, I'd move out to the suburb, since you have a child.
5. If you don't want to, then make more money and live in George Town or Arlington VA. There are a lot of houses for rent in Arlington off of Lee Hwy and they are fairly quiet and easy going.

6. You could always divorce your wife and live wherever you want, before you start charging $400 an hour to corporate clients. I'm sure you don't want to do that though... but it's an option.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 PM

11 posts, read 50,748 times
Dcadvocate- thanks! Im expecting stress levels to be high .....but hopefully not that high...I will check the areas you mentioned! thanks!

Logan Circle looks like a great place to live too..but costly I imagine

@Plokivos
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

(1) Im from the Philippines

(2) Noted! I'll still check it out anyway but based on my research, I'm really not expecting it to be a place where kids can go frolick around all day.

(3) Not considering GW

(4) Yeah I can commute everyday. Biking to school is most ideal for me even....though I was advised against biking from pentagon to GULC hehe

(5) I will check them out! Thanks

(6) Divorce is not available to Filipinos though..hahah...and I'm too goo-goo eyes for my wife..hehhe....
Thanks!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,588,000 times
Totally absurd to say Capitol Hill isn't kid friendly. I live here and see families all over the place, mostly affluent ones.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM

11 posts, read 50,748 times
stateofnature...In that case, I hope I can find a place there that within my budget...

may I know exactly where I should look ?

ive been using this nifty app called padmapper but for some reaason, they stopped showing the places listed in craigslist.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,588,000 times
Bayani, I wish I could help more but other than Craigslist, I don't know of any other online sources for finding a place.
Really, the best thing to do is just walk around the neighborhood where you want to live and look for "For Rent" signs.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,723,900 times
Who said Cap Hill isn't kid friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC