Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 PM

567 posts, read 890,046 times

Advertisements

Allow me to preface this by stating I am conducting research for a community development initiative in my hometown of Atlanta. Therefore, please be frank in your response. Regards. What area would be considered the "worst" whether that be due to perception, high unemployment, livability etc. Also, on the flip-side what county/community cluster would be considered to be the best? Thanks in Advanced!

Last edited by Listennow32; 06-11-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
You will get no "unanimous" response, as "best" and "worst" are completely subjective terms.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM

246 posts, read 589,217 times
The silence here is deafening. I have no idea as to the validity of this sentiment (and have seen a lot to dispute it), but there is no doubt that Prince George's County is generally considered to be the worst county in this area.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Southeast D.C. and the part of Prince George's County stretching out from southeast D.C. inside the beltway are considered to be no-go areas for a lot of people.

On the other end, Fairfax County is generally considered to be the "best." Other places - like Arlington, Alexandria, the western part of Montgomery County and northwest D.C. - are looked upon favorably as well.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-12-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM

361 posts, read 854,383 times
"Worst" would be the border towns in Maryland on the Southern border of DC. Along with the known and familiar woes, there just seems to be NO prospects of revitalization or investment in those areas. They are charmless, low-density, have poor walkability and have no proximity to any major employment centers, save a few well-guarded and gated gov't facilities.

"Best" maybe is central Arlington--- well planned transit oriented development, good public transit, lots of urban density alongside quiet residential neighborhoods, highly educated population, new development, and proximity to major employment centers in DC and Fairfax Co.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
basically, they are saying wherever the ghettos
are and the underemployed, undereducated black
masses of people live. i think that was what you
were asking too, right?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
were asking too, right?

Right on..

Old 06-12-2012, 03:52 PM

361 posts, read 854,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
were asking too, right?
I took it at face value, especially since "livability" was part of the criteria. I think the livability of Potomac, MD sucks, for example, so it wouldn't be on "best" list by any stretch.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 PM

567 posts, read 890,046 times
Awesome! Thank you guys for the responses

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
I have lived in the area for 60 years and can tell you that the wealthiest areas are

Great Falls VA, Langley VA, Potomac MD (sprawling mansions on large lots)

Bethesda MD, Spring Valley, Foxhall, and Massachusetts Avenue Heights DC, McLean VA, Vienna VA (large to medium homes on smaller lots)

Georgetown DC, and Old Town Alexandria VA (colonial and Federal-era townhouses in chic urban neighborhoods)

Mount Vernon VA, portions bordering the Potomac River, and Fairfax Station VA

for Black people: Woodmore-Mitchellville MD, and Tantallon-Fort Washington MD; also Shepherd Park (very northern tip of) DC

for Single people: the Ballston - Rosslyn corridor of Arlington, mentioned above, which are very train- and bicycle-friendly and convenient to leisure activities

The poorest areas are

the southern tip of DC including Congress Heights, Washington Highlands
central Anacostia
the eastern tip of DC, including Deanwood, Burrville, Benning Road, Kenilworth, and adjoining MD border areas
also Trinidad and Ivy City DC

also Suitland MD, Landover MD, parts of Oxon Hill MD,
and to a lesser extent maybe? Langley Park, West Hyattsville, Bladensburg and Temple Hills MD

Culmore apartments in VA; and parts of the Richmond Highway area in VA

Much of the area just north of downtown DC, and east of Rock Creek Park, (such as Shaw, Bloomingdale, Mount Pleasant, and the once-notorious 14th & U Streets area) used to be bad, a generation ago, but they have become increasingly gentrified
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: