U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,789 times

Advertisements

So I got a parking ticket in DC. I was parked on Constitution Ave on a Monday, which turns into a rush hour lane at 4pm. I got out of a tour and ran to my car. Made it there at 4:06. I was ticketed at 4:02. I highly doubt it, but is there some clause that may get me out of the ticket, such as a 10 minute leeway on posted sign times or something? I took a picture of my ticket in my hand with a timestamp on it so its clear what time I got to the vehicle.

Or perhaps I may get a lenient judge if I try to appeal online? I doubt it but I am hopeful.

Related....if I appeal online and lose, I assume the results are sent to the car rental agency, who will then probably pay the fee, charge me + some rental company charge. Anyone know how that works? Or am I able to check the status of the appeal online so I will know if it goes through or not, so that I can then pay it online myself?

Sorry I am obviously not familiar with the DC system and how it all works. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 AM

2,071 posts, read 3,325,572 times
On what grounds would you have to appeal? 4 pm is 4 pm. Doesn't matter if it's 4:02, 4:01, or 4:00 and .0001 seconds. Yes DC parking enforcement are a bunch of sticklers, but talk to anybody who is familiar or just do a google search on "parking in DC" and you will read all about their reputation for ruthlessly enforcing parking laws.
Just save yourself frustration, pay the ticket, and be done with it.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,789 times
I have no grounds for appeal, but living in Chicago I have received many a parking tickets. I always appeal every one regardless of reason and sometimes I just write something funny and nonsensical. I have probably only had to pay 2 tickers in the years I've been there. Guess I am just hoping that it's even slightly as easy here in DC.
Anyway thanks for your quick response. Would like to hear other opinions but I will likely just pay it solely because it's a rental car and I don't want problems.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM

9,247 posts, read 12,245,945 times
As someone who commutes, I know that one car parked 5 minutes past the 4 pm deadline can add 15 minutes to my commute. I doubt you'll get any sympathy from the parking authority, as they likely also have been caught in extra traffic due to cars parked past 4 pm.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM

352 posts, read 728,782 times
dont waste your time dude. just go head and pay the $25 ticket.
and you cant appeal online, only pay the ticket online. to appeal you have to write a letter stating you deny the ticket and your reasoning.

as for the rentals yea they going to charge your credit card once they recieve the ticket. i didnt have to pay a penalty fee tho that may depend on the rental company.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 AM

30 posts, read 58,574 times
Ha, I've appealed so many tickets, never had any luck. Even ones that were 100% wrong...

Parking tickets are a cash machine for DC.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 PM

230 posts, read 821,972 times
The only way you can probably win this one is if you say your vehicle was disabled (dead battery?) and you couldn't move it by 4pm.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 AM

23 posts, read 90,896 times
jerseysbest hit the nail right on the head, it doesn't matter if you were in the right or not. They're going to get they're money, trust me save the time and pay the parking ticket, you won't win.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM

130 posts, read 345,212 times
Default I'm surprised

you didnt get towed. I used to work just south of Independence Ave-- and the police towtrucks seemed to be out in force right around 4 pm.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,576,818 times
Just pay it! You'll be lucky it's DC, because every 10 days or so, Maryland will increase the parking fee by 200%!

Cowards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>