Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,819 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to DC for work and was thinking of renting in Navy Yard, which is a good spot for me due to work location, desired price point, and walkability to Eastern Market.

However, upon digging around, I discovered that all three of the apartment rental buildings I'm aware of were recently sold or up for sale! Onyx on First, Axiom, and Capitol Yards are the ones I had in mind...

Here are the stories:

Near Southeast DC - Search Results

A Few Oh-Yeah-I-Meant-to-Mention-That Tidbits - JDLand.com: Near Southeast DC Redevelopment

Apparently current residents were warned, yet I still see each of these buildings advertising new rentals on Craigslist:

Live Comfortably at Axiom at Capitol Yards
Easy access to DC Metro
909 at Capitol Yards - Live Carefree in the Heart of Washington

I don't really understand what this means for renters interested in the Navy Yard area. Does anyone have insight about what's going on? Will these buildings remain rental properties? Is there anywhere stable you would suggest to rent in Navy Yard?

I'm also considering the SW Waterfront, though I prefer Navy Yard since it's more walkable to Eastern Market and the buildings seem nice. Would the Waterfront apartment complexes be more stable rental options at the moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
I am too moving to DC and one of the buildings you've listed will be my new home beginning June 15th...the recent sales have not seemed to effect their ability to rent. And at this point it does still seem to have apartments available for rent, as I signed up with them at the beginning of May. Hope that helps.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
What I've heard is that the buildings will remain rentals for the foreseeable future -- and even if not, DC has very renter-friendly laws that guarantee that you can complete the term of your lease. Rentals actually bring in more income than condos right now, since so few homebuyers qualify for financing.

As far as new rental options, several large apartment buildings are either under construction or proposed in Capitol Riverfront. Camden South Capitol looks like they'll be leasing within the year, as it's nearly topped-off; Foundry Lofts looks like it's almost leased up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC