Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM

513 posts, read 961,748 times

Advertisements

Alaska? LMAO Say hi to Sarah Palin for me. Surely if these two women are the outdoorsy types that can join a bike club in Alrington DC, or a ski club and meet men. Or hang out in J Crew in Tysons Corner. These women are just lazy and expect men to approach them when they dress down all the time and dont wear make up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 AM

144 posts, read 259,600 times
Default Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I know it was just a dumb fluff piece...but wow. So many thoughts pop into my head when I read about a plan like that. Are they basically saying that they can only be successful in dating if they have a higher ratio of men to woman? What would happen if they were to actually meet a guy there they like and continue the relationship? What makes them think guys in Alaska want to be with women like them?

On the other hand it is really funny to me that WashPo ran a 5 page article that came out of a few women thinking the DC dating scene tilted too heavily towards favoring men - when on this forum men on here cry all the time how it's the opposite .
yeah, I'm a straight male and have lived in DC for the past 6 years and have noticed, especially since 2009, more guys flooding the district. I can only guess this is from the financial crisis and more men looking for work. Anyways...now wherever I go to...meetup groups for singles, speed dating events, bars on U St., etc...there are gaggles of guys standing around, so women - no complaints, now it seems the tables have turned!

Oh...and not to sound like a d-bag but something I should mention for my bros...is it me or has there been an equal number of fat women coming into this city? Have you checked out the legs on some of these women? They themselves seem to have come from lumberjack towns in Alaska!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM

349 posts, read 990,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post
yeah, I'm a straight male and have lived in DC for the past 6 years and have noticed, especially since 2009, more guys flooding the district. I can only guess this is from the financial crisis and more men looking for work. Anyways...now wherever I go to...meetup groups for singles, speed dating events, bars on U St., etc...there are gaggles of guys standing around, so women - no complaints, now it seems the tables have turned!

Oh...and not to sound like a d-bag but something I should mention for my bros...is it me or has there been an equal number of fat women coming into this city? Have you checked out the legs on some of these women? They themselves seem to have come from lumberjack towns in Alaska!

Bingo! Someone who knows what they're talking about.

Since around 2009 DC has been a sausage fest. Although prior to 2009 there were indeed lots of women here.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM

54 posts, read 119,177 times
I don't get DC dating. Women complain. Men complain. The men are absolutely right, dating is horrible for men in DC. Women seem to have legit complaints too, though. Very odd.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Just got back from Anchroage (visited Palmer, Wasilla too...not homer) and, I have to say -- that article that was more gimmicy before, is plain insulting now. The city is awesome, has a great nightlife (more fun than DC for sure!), and believe it or not, I saw more girls than guys at places of the night. Girls = Very approachable, very nice, and very interested in who you are vs. what you do.

The article also says that they had a great time in AK....so why the complaint? Bottom line: If you are unhappy with yourself in DC, you will be the same unhappy person in Anchroage, AK, China or wherever. The judgemental twang of the article is representative of an attitude that prevelant here in DC, --If you hate yourself, you must judge others until they hate themselves--. Those girls laid down a few judgement calls on men, but were admittedly unhappy in their own love life. In DC you already have no shot with them (nor should you take one), which would lead to the viscious cycle of complaints.

In Anchroage, people are concerned about stuff like.....having fun, firewood, and money to make it through the winter (Geee whattdya know!!!). They are filled with pride, and even making this kind of comparison is like......placing a group of social workers on jersey shore for a battle royale to who can bring home the most action. "Im going man hunting!!" Apples and oranges.

In short: AK is a great place for any single person willing to put in a days hard work, does not compare to DC, and people are very friendly there. Highly reccomend visiting.

P.S. If you want to go to a magical land filled with tons of dudes, Arlington is right across the river.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM

46 posts, read 87,578 times
It perplexes me every day how there are only two genders in the world, and yet people have a really hard time finding partners.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Just got back from Anchroage (visited Palmer, Wasilla too...not homer) and, I have to say -- that article that was more gimmicy before, is plain insulting now. The city is awesome, has a great nightlife (more fun than DC for sure!), and believe it or not, I saw more girls than guys at places of the night. Girls = Very approachable, very nice, and very interested in who you are vs. what you do.
First I hear about Iceland's nightlife, now Alaska's? Seems like I need to visit somewhere where it is cold (not during the winter of course).

Old 09-28-2012, 04:50 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
First I hear about Iceland's nightlife, now Alaska's? Seems like I need to visit somewhere where it is cold (not during the winter of course).
The reason places like that have such great night life is because it's dark outside at least 6 months straight each year.

Last edited by DTL3000; 09-28-2012 at 05:05 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitelyrestless View Post
It perplexes me every day how there are only two genders in the world, and yet people have a really hard time finding partners.
I don't get that either.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
I will say that I have found Alaskan women to be... friendly. The place reminds me of a rural college campus mentality; it's really exciting for a while until you realize you're all kind of stuck there and there isn't much to do but drink and bang.

Not one of my more grounded theories, but that's how it felt to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitelyrestless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't get that either.
Me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: