Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times

Advertisements

Those storms left outages everywhere, anyone have outages/storm stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
I live in SW and never lost power. Had one of my boys and his girl over last night so that they can charge their phones and computers. Girlfriend stayed over with her dog all weekend because she didn't have power.

It was quite the show. I live on the 6th floor and I had the blinds open. Anyone ever see War of the Worlds w/Tom Cruise? Remember that lightning scene? Yeah, it was kinda like that.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,550 times
Yup. Our neighbor tree caught fire. We lost power. My BMW took a tree limb to the door. My other car escaped. Still no power. Neighbors car crushed, new audi wagon destroyed. Of course all this pales to the guy who died trying to extinguish his Maserati, and his poor wife who tried to save him ended up in critical condition. Apparently the bodies lay out in the rain until the power could be cut off. Shudder at the thought. All considered, we fared pretty well.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
It was quite the show. I live on the 6th floor and I had the blinds open. Anyone ever see War of the Worlds w/Tom Cruise? Remember that lightning scene? Yeah, it was kinda like that.
Saw the same thing on 95N when we were driving to Baltimore. Crazy. We left 1/2 hr after the storm started and the beltway was a mess. Drivers w/ flashers on, trees covering most of the road, cars taking hits on trees and going the other way, etc.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
The large trees on the north side of my street and the street to the west of me snapped in half. Didn't lose power though.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
We were in the middle of a power game with some friends when the power out..... we spent the rest of the evening playing poker by candle light... rather romantic actually hahah. The power ended up not coming back on until about 5am the next morning for us, so my husband, myself, and my brothers that stayed over, all slept on the floor in the basement because it was so dang out upstairs in our three story townhouse with the AC out all night.

Also, the power went out in the midst of our game... when we had the tv playing some music in the other room rather loudly.... so what do you know... 5am comes around and the tv comes back on!! haha.

No major damage luckily.... but my poor little tree I planted last fall in the front yard was uprooted....

The night before I actually had a terrible dream a tornado came, ripped half of my house away, and took my dogs. It was sad... and when those 75mph winds started blowing out of NO WHERE.... I was sure my dream was coming true... hah.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Friday was my birthday. Plans were made for drinking and carrying on for Friday night. Plans were canceled. Power was out for two days. I spent Friday night in the dark and got up at sunrise and got out of dodge before it got too hot.

I've lived in the DC area for four years and I'm learning that blackouts are an unfortunate par for the course for this part of the country. More needs to be done infrastructure-wise so that millions aren't without power everytime a storm rolls through.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 PM

220 posts, read 548,171 times
Also in SW and wasn't really affected (other than looking out the window to watch the storm). Yay for having power lines buried underground. Have never experienced a blackout in near SW.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Friday was my birthday. Plans were made for drinking and carrying on for Friday night. Plans were canceled. Power was out for two days. I spent Friday night in the dark and got up at sunrise and got out of dodge before it got too hot.

I've lived in the DC area for four years and I'm learning that blackouts are an unfortunate par for the course for this part of the country. More needs to be done infrastructure-wise so that millions aren't without power everytime a storm rolls through.

Someone told me that DC (specifically... I don't know if this is everywhere or only some places) charges companies rent to put lines underground... and that's why in that local area there aren't many underground.

Have you heard that before? I wonder if there is any truth to that, and if that is normal? Sounds... rather suckie if you ask me, that means underground power lines definitely won't happen any time soon.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Someone told me that DC (specifically... I don't know if this is everywhere or only some places) charges companies rent to put lines underground... and that's why in that local area there aren't many underground.

Have you heard that before? I wonder if there is any truth to that, and if that is normal? Sounds... rather suckie if you ask me, that means underground power lines definitely won't happen any time soon.
I've never heard of this before. My friends who live in the nicer neighborhoods of the District did not experience ANY power outages. One who lives on the Hill said that his light were out for two whole minutes. Another friend who has lived on the Hill for 20 years said that he's never experienced a power outage (that is until he moved).

Power lines are underground in a lot of neighborhoods in the District like Capitol Hill so I think that particular person has it backwards. It's the suburbs that have fewer underground power lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC