Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM

116 posts, read 212,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I went a bit north to that Gas station on W-VA to get something and saw 5 of the worst prostitutes ever. One tried to climb in my truck. . Luckily she got out when I asked nicely but still.
Are you talking about the lowest price gas station on West Virginia and Mount Olivet? I think that gas station is in Ivy City but again I'm not really sure. If I were the OP, I wouldn't live that far up into Trinidad especially if you got a bad feeling from being in Shaw. That being said, housing on Florida or Morse is going to be more expensive and will be comparable in price to the H Street corridor.

Frozen Tropics is a neighborhood blog that covers Trinidad, H Street and the near northeast area. The author herself lives in Trinidad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM

15 posts, read 35,515 times
Wow. I haven’t been at this posting in a few days – let me clear a few things up!

@ killabunnies “Wow, have you actually checked out east of the river then or are you just crossing it off your list because someone told you not to look down there?”
Yes, I have checked out east of the river. I moved here from another state because I wanted to live a more city-like lifestyle. I’ve decided east of the river was too far in distance from that lifestyle for my liking. No, I’m not crossing it off my list because someone told me not to look down there.

@ killabunnies “No one ‘accosts’ me on my way to anywhere.”
That wasn’t a hypothetical situation I made up in my head. It happens. I walk places and people wanna holla. Hollaaa! But when impolite people do it it’s more like being accosted.

@ killabunnies “beggars can’t be choosers”
That’s rather pessimistic! If I thought that way I wouldn’t be where I am today. I am a very demanding lady, and I make things happen. If I want something, I find a way to get it. If I didn’t say it in the original post, I’ll say it now—I know my budget is low for what I want. There’s no need to tell me that, thanks!

@movinghere “try living in a group house”
Yes, that’s what I’m looking into. I have a friend that’s looking with me for a two bedroom, and if that doesn’t work I don’t mind living in a roommate situation.

@chicagotodc “animated gif”
Ha ha, that made me laugh out loud. What?!! (said playfully  ) I didn’t like the men yelling things at me, even if they were impolite compliments (that turned into hostility after I didn’t stop to chat. Yikes!) And before you guys go there, during that memory I mentioned it was summer and I was wearing shorts and a racerback tank. All my goodies were covered and the clothes weren’t skin tight.

@cochrynn “There are honestly not a lot of urban places where I WOULD walk around alone at night”
Right, I wouldn’t walk around all dolled up in any neighborhood in freak hours either. Rich men are rapists too.

@The Heartbreak Kid “One tried to climb in my truck.”
Man, those are some aggressive prostitutes! OMG!

@Viceroy of Lost Umbrellas “Frozen Tropics is a neighborhood blog that covers Trinidad, H Street and the near northeast area.”
Hey, thanks for the link!

Last edited by NikiRey; 07-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: formatting issues

Old 07-18-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
Default Visiting DC, Christmas 2012

Hello,

I'm looking at renting a house for a week in DC for vacation. I've come down to two houses which are in our price range and close to where all the sites are.

We are really considering a house in Trindad that has been remodeled. It's the closest and most affordable, but I don't know if it's worth saving money if we're going to be or "feel" in danger. The house is at Owen and West Virginia.

We are also looking at houses in Michigan Park and Petsworth. But these are more pricy and not as convinent to the Metro.

I'd appreciate any advice!! Thanks very much!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,863 times
I absolutely would not recommend any tourist stay in Trinidad. It might be improving but it is still a rough neighborhood. If you do any Google searches about it you'll read plenty about the crime there.

Petworth has some rough parts, and some ok parts. It really depends on where you are. I wouldn't recommend it to a tourist either but it's not as bad as Trinidad.

Michigan Park wouldn't be unsafe as much as really far away and inconvenient for all the tourist sites.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,863 times
Also, Owen and West Virginia is far from any metro stop. So I have no idea what you mean when you say that the other two locations are not as convenient to the metro, when this location is very inconvenient to the metro.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I just finished riding through Trinidad at 2 am. Na, I am not doing that one at all son. Prostitutes gallore and cats just hanging out.
HAHA!!! Prostitutes? Yes. Female prostitutes? No. haha A lot of those "girls" in Trinidad/K St area are trannys. I've taken a few to the hospital.

Killabunnies - Didn't go back to quote you but you're right there are some nice areas in SE. There's some huge houses around the Penn/Branch area. Definitely some money around there. However most yuppies prefer the amenities offered in NW. Those houses out there are mostly families.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Gallaudet Department of Safety reports shootings and muggings pretty often in the Trinidad neighborhood. I have a friend that saw a man pull out a gun while she was walking home, and another friend who got side-swiped in the head by a bullet that was targeted at someone else.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrynn View Post
As I said before, I am a small, white, pretty blonde girl. I am oblivious and prone to getting lost. I carry expensive things with me. There are honestly not a lot of urban places where I WOULD walk around alone at night (I mean the middle of the night, not just after dark). I have done it in Georgetown, but only very rarely. I think Capitol Hill and Adams Morgan are great neighborhoods, too, but you still wouldn't find me walking around alone at night there. Also, I got my car windows smashed in a much better neighborhood than Trinidad, so I wouldn't be leaving any shopping bags in my car in Trinidad, either. I think a neighborhood can be awesome even if it's not safe for oblivious white chicks to totter home in platform heels alone at 3 AM. I'm still excited to buy a house there.
Seriously? I'm a white blind woman and I feel safe walking around in Adams Morgan and Georgetown alone at night and do it all the time. Capitol Hill is a bit more iffy. I'd never walk alone in the Trinidad or Gallaudet area alone and have even spent the night with a friend in their dorm on Gallaudet campus to avoid a walk home in that area.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiRey View Post
Wow. I haven’t been at this posting in a few days – let me clear a few things up!

@ killabunnies “Wow, have you actually checked out east of the river then or are you just crossing it off your list because someone told you not to look down there?”
Yes, I have checked out east of the river. I moved here from another state because I wanted to live a more city-like lifestyle. I’ve decided east of the river was too far in distance from that lifestyle for my liking. No, I’m not crossing it off my list because someone told me not to look down there.

That wasn’t a hypothetical situation I made up in my head. It happens. I walk places and people wanna holla. Hollaaa! But when impolite people do it it’s more like being accosted.

@ killabunnies “beggars can’t be choosers”
That’s rather pessimistic! If I thought that way I wouldn’t be where I am today. I am a very demanding lady, and I make things happen. If I want something, I find a way to get it. If I didn’t say it in the original post, I’ll say it now—I know my budget is low for what I want. There’s no need to tell me that, thanks!

@movinghere “try living in a group house”
Yes, that’s what I’m looking into. I have a friend that’s looking with me for a two bedroom, and if that doesn’t work I don’t mind living in a roommate situation.

@chicagotodc “animated gif”
Ha ha, that made me laugh out loud. What?!! (said playfully  ) I didn’t like the men yelling things at me, even if they were impolite compliments (that turned into hostility after I didn’t stop to chat. Yikes!) And before you guys go there, during that memory I mentioned it was summer and I was wearing shorts and a racerback tank. All my goodies were covered and the clothes weren’t skin tight.

@cochrynn “There are honestly not a lot of urban places where I WOULD walk around alone at night”
Right, I wouldn’t walk around all dolled up in any neighborhood in freak hours either. Rich men are rapists too.

@The Heartbreak Kid “One tried to climb in my truck.”
Man, those are some aggressive prostitutes! OMG!

@Viceroy of Lost Umbrellas “Frozen Tropics is a neighborhood blog that covers Trinidad, H Street and the near northeast area.”
Hey, thanks for the link!
I was totally accosted by a woman in this area once, who was trying to sell me "sight restoring medicinal herbs" off the Internet. Most of the people I run into are just harmless poor folks but some of them are a little nuts, lol.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiRey View Post

Your first point: totally makes sense, thanks. Sorry if I'm defensive, every time I hear someone write off this area, it's usually because they heard from someone who heard from someone that it's all drive-by shootings and robberies at all hours of the day. DEFINITELY agree with you there - I'm cut off out here. Personally that is a plus for me, I can opt in to city on the rare occasion I want to go out or just hide out here when I don't. I like having that flexibility without having to put up with it at all hours of the day. My ex colleague lives in NE by 3rd and I swear every time I come home from his house late at night I breathe a sigh of relief once I cross the river, hit my street and notice how strikingly quiet it is over here. Anyway - if you change your mind or figure out you can't get what you want for your budget in the areas you've checked out so far, definitely keep this area in mind as a backup, it's really not as isolated as you might think but if walkability is a must for you, forget about it. Again, that's not something I personally value but everyone is different.

Your second point: OK, using your definition, I completely take that back. I get accosted EVERYWHERE then and it's annoying as hell but you deal. I thought you meant like getting asked for change or hustled or otherwise annoyed. Pretty sure that'll happen anywhere in the city if you're halfway decent looking (not to burst anyone's bubble but I seem to get hit on MORE when I'm wearing ratty sweats and rocking bedhead on my way to the garbage can to dump dirty cat litter than I do when I'm looking good). I swear most of these scrubs use the "holla at 100 broads, MAYBE get 1 of them" approach where they just holla at anything walking and hope one will fall for their stupid "hey! hey, pretty girl!" crap. I've never been in a situation where I felt unsafe but there are definitely losers jumping out of everywhere. Once this dude came out of nowhere and started trying to run game on me at the ATM - THE ATM! I'm thinking the whole time "if that isn't a good way to get stabbed..." Like come on. Holla all you want, leave me alone when I'm at the freaking ATM at 9pm by myself.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: