Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM

40 posts, read 67,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I was going to mention Boylan's, but I've only ever seen it in machines such as those at Chop't, never for sale anywhere.
I've recently seen Boylan's for sale at the World Market in Friendship Heights. Single bottles as well as a four-pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,897 times
The owners of Taylor Gourmet opened up a new spot further down on H called Taylor Charles Steak & Ice. They have a soda brand there called Penn soda, but I swear it tastes just like Boylans & Pucks. You should give it a try

Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 AM

176 posts, read 288,587 times
I work at one of the restaurants mentioned in this thread, and I don't even know where Pucks is from. I'll try to ask the owners when I can.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
hi! Got the skinny from someone here in Durham NC with a Puck's fountain machine. A few posts up was correct about the hostile take over. The 2 grandsons of Boylan's didn't like that the new corp heads were monkeying with the preservatives and changing recipes, so they started Puck's, which is now more inline and based on their original family recipes. They are delish! He said as far as he knew it was one of 3 Puck's fountain machines around, hopefully more coming out soon.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philaman View Post
Apparently, the two brothers who ran Boylans were unfortunately on the short side of a hostile takeover of their company by a bank. The new ownership has been cheapening the product for some time now. Well the two brothers knew they had a good product and started their new company, Puck's. Basically all the same recipes and flavors as Boylan's. I cannot find much on the web but was forwarded some powerpoint slides on the company.
This. The brothers also repurchased their former production plant once the new Boylan's management shifted production elsewhere.

I'm an operator who is currently using Boylan's but will be switching to Puck's because of this. I felt compelled to comment on this thread because, despite the branding, BOYLAN'S IS NO LONGER A NATURAL SODA COMPANY. Out of the 8 flavors our restaurants carry, 7 of them have had the formula changed to contain Sodium Benzoate, as well as some artificial colors & flavoring that weren't in the old formulas. Note that despite buying 100 boxes a week of Boylan's we were never notified of these changes - I had no idea until Puck's pointed it out and I checked the ingredient statements on our boxes.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for information, since there isn't much out there at the moment. Puck's may not be the right answer for you, but make sure you know what Boylan's is actually offering.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 AM

58 posts, read 109,198 times
I've also only seen it in the soda fountains at Chopt'd (salad restaurant).

Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
I recently had it at Sweet Fire Donna's BBQ in Alexandria, in the Carlyle area. I thought it was alright, more of an acquired taste

Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 PM

27 posts, read 37,622 times
Pucks soda can be found at a million different pretentious sandwich shops in the DC metro. It's basically the easiest indicator to know that you're in an overpriced and low quality outfit. If you walk in and see a Puck's soda fountain, know you're about to pay about 3x as much as you should for a dry turkey sandwich with toppings you've only convinced yourself that you like because you think they're "unique".

Not to say that I don't like Puck's, because I do appreciate anything that is not pushing HFCS, but I've found an almost direct correlation between their presence and me getting ripped off by businesses that wouldn't last two minutes outside of a major city on the east/west coast.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetWorth View Post
Pucks soda can be found at a million different pretentious sandwich shops in the DC metro. It's basically the easiest indicator to know that you're in an overpriced and low quality outfit. If you walk in and see a Puck's soda fountain, know you're about to pay about 3x as much as you should for a dry turkey sandwich with toppings you've only convinced yourself that you like because you think they're "unique".

Not to say that I don't like Puck's, because I do appreciate anything that is not pushing HFCS, but I've found an almost direct correlation between their presence and me getting ripped off by businesses that wouldn't last two minutes outside of a major city on the east/west coast.
Have we really gotten to the point of hypersensitivity, where a sandwich shop is *pretentious*?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Have we really gotten to the point of hypersensitivity, where a sandwich shop is *pretentious*?
Would be interesting to know which sandwich shops are being referred to as pretentious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC