Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 03:23 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times

Advertisements

I'll have a 9 year old with me for the end of summer - about a month total. Let's just say money is no object... What would you say are some of the very best activities/sights for kids in the city? He has never been here. I'm definitely taking him up to New York for a day or two, maybe Philly as well and Ocean City for a weekend (he's never seen the Atlantic Ocean as he is from California - frankly neither have I and I've lived here two years), obviously the White House and other downtown monuments, a few of the standard tourist museums (he likes history and art, which helps)... but kind of stuck on other fun stuff to do. I also want to take him to the WWII memorial as his great-grandfather was a Marine and always wanted to go but never made it before he died.

He is VERY well-behaved and hasn't thrown a tantrum in his life so I know he'll do OK in settings that may not have many kids but just want to do things that will be fun for both of us.

Any ideas or must do things around town? We have a car and I have a very flexible job so weekday stuff works too, as I said money is no object but for obvious reasons I don't want to throw money away on tourist-trap stuff either.

Any ideas, oh brilliant DC residents? I've got the "how to entertain a 30 year old" part down but sort of stalled on fun ideas for a kid in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
The National Zoo which is halfway between the Cleveland Park and Adams Morgan metros on the Red line is a great place for kids. It's always packed but you can avoid the crowds by getting off the metro at Cleveland Park and walking downhill (most people get off at Adams Morgan and walk uphill). It's completely free and can take up a whole day. There's a Starbucks and right across the street from the Zoo entrance for an air-conditioned break and a bunch of other good restaurants in the area for lunch/dinner. McDonald's is just a short walk downhill at the Adams Morgan metro entrance. I highly recommend the Indian restaurant called Rajaji in that area too.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The National Zoo which is halfway between the Cleveland Park and Adams Morgan metros on the Red line is a great place for kids. It's always packed but you can avoid the crowds by getting off the metro at Cleveland Park and walking downhill (most people get off at Adams Morgan and walk uphill). It's completely free and can take up a whole day. There's a Starbucks and right across the street from the Zoo entrance for an air-conditioned break and a bunch of other good restaurants in the area for lunch/dinner. McDonald's is just a short walk downhill at the Adams Morgan metro entrance. I highly recommend the Indian restaurant called Rajaji in that area too.
Thanks, I did an evening networking event at the zoo not that long ago but didn't get to check much of it out myself so that was definitely on the list.

I will check out the Indian restaurant you mentioned, have never heard of it and LOOOOOOVE Indian, thank you!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
The Spy Museum's "Operation Spy" would be great for that age bracket. A segway tour of the city could be really fun too, if they allow kiddos to operate the machinery.

Mount Vernon is a neat place to spend the day exploring. You can take the harbor ferry to it if you don't feel like driving.

There are tons of "Screen on the Green" type events in various communities. Bring a blanket and a picnic dinner and watch a movie.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
Look into the amphibious tours. You take a duck boat through the streets and then straight into the Potomac to see it from the water.

Mount Vernon has a great tour program for kids in that age range. My 8-year old niece was here was last summer and raved about it.

There are food tours that start out of Eastern Market. Might be a fun way to see & experience a different part of the city on foot

Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Smithsonian The Natural History and American History museums were rebuilt several years ago and are more colorful than before. They also have educational gift-shops. Also don't miss the free, Botanical Gardens (greenhouse conservatory) next door, the Air and Space Museum, and National Gallery. Cascades Cafe under the national gallery, is fun with its moving sidewalk and waterfall splashing on the picture window. Mitsitam Cafe in the American Indian Museum, has innovative and excellent food.

Cameron Run - Main Page You can literally see the big water slide, right beside the beltway by the ramp to exit 2.

Chesapeake Beach Water Park, The Official Website, Chesapeake Beach Maryland, with great water slides, waterfalls, pools, lazy river, less than an hour from Washington DC

Six Flags America

Marine Corps War Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Museum of the Marine Corps This new museum is free of charge and beside I-95

Waterfront Activities Numerous street entertainers are usually around the big pier at the foot of King Street, next to the Torpedo Factory artists studio complex, the cruise-boat pier, and 3 ice-cream shops. Park in the garage, or else drive a few blocks south (downriver toward the Union Street playground ) to find free, street parking.

Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site This is arguably the foremost and largest living-history site in the world.

Official Jamestown Settlement & Yorktown Victory Center Visitor's Site

Virginia's Caverns - Virginia Is For Lovers Luray is the largest and best one, but as you see, there are several others in VA.

Last edited by slowlane3; 07-21-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: