Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,557 times

Advertisements

Some background on me, I'm a 20-something Male.
Just moved to a spot on Chapin Street NW DC. How is that area? Is it considered Shaw or Adams Morgan? Or a Combo of both? Or is it Columbia Heights? I think it's in Ward1.

How will my commute be. I know there is a lot of traffic, just want a general idea about the timeframe of it.
I'll be commuting from Chapin St to Ashburn VA 5days a week. I'll probably need to get to Ashburn around 0600, so I'll be leaving around 0500. Then from Ashburn back to DC around 5pm. I know the evening traffic will kill me but how but that early morning? Or is it less traffic going to into the city in the evening?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
It's Columbia Heights. Adams Morgan is the area west of 16th Street. Sounds like your morning commute will probably be ok but it will be a bear getting home from Ashburn - that's pretty far out there.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchewawa View Post
Some background on me, I'm a 20-something Male.
Just moved to a spot on Chapin Street NW DC. How is that area? Is it considered Shaw or Adams Morgan? Or a Combo of both? Or is it Columbia Heights? I think it's in Ward1.

How will my commute be. I know there is a lot of traffic, just want a general idea about the timeframe of it.
I'll be commuting from Chapin St to Ashburn VA 5days a week. I'll probably need to get to Ashburn around 0600, so I'll be leaving around 0500. Then from Ashburn back to DC around 5pm. I know the evening traffic will kill me but how but that early morning? Or is it less traffic going to into the city in the evening?

Thanks
Your issue will be trying to get through the city and taking 28 to get to Ashburn. Your commute won't be as bad as most, but keep in mind that 28 has a lot of jobs around there so traffic can be tough in the morning. I don't think your morning commute is going to be as great as you may think and I would say the same for the evening commute. You also have to factor in how unpredictable 66 can be during anytime of day.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 AM

361 posts, read 854,078 times
I once had an interview for a job in Ashburn and drove out there in the middle of the day. 55 minutes into the drive to the interview, I knew right then and there I couldn't do it everyday. Turned right around and call the folks to say thanks, but no thanks.

You'll hear some scary things about and maybe see scary things at the nearby cooperatives and the gas station on 14th, but Chapin Street is OK.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:43 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Out of curiosity, why did you move to Columbia Heights if your job is in Ashburn? My guesstimate would be an hour and 15 minutes in the morning (assuming no traffic) and pushing 2 hours to get home. There really is no such thing as a "reverse commute" in the evening. You'll hit traffic in Ashburn, 66 or the Toll Road, and especially getting back into the city.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you move to Columbia Heights if your job is in Ashburn? My guesstimate would be an hour and 15 minutes in the morning (assuming no traffic) and pushing 2 hours to get home. There really is no such thing as a "reverse commute" in the evening. You'll hit traffic in Ashburn, 66 or the Toll Road, and especially getting back into the city.
The job will be in DC, but I'll be in Ashburn for training for 6months. And I tried looking for places near there, but there just wasn't anything available in the timeframe I needed to move in by.
Plus its only 35 miles, so in the morning it could take 32 -45 mins. On the way back it'll be a different story.

Last edited by ouchewawa; 07-20-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
The job will be in DC, but I'll be in Ashburn for training for 6months. And I tried looking for places near there, but there just wasn't anything available in the timeframe I needed to move in by.
Plus its only 35 miles, so in the morning it could take 32 -45 mins. On the way back it'll be a different story.
No way it can be done in 32-45 minutes. I'd put best case at just under an hour. 35 minutes would be 60 miles per hour from beginning to end. You won't be going 60 for long in DC before the tickets pile up. Once you're on 66 you can go faster, but watch out for cops there too. They (Virginia cops) could hit you with a reckless ticket just for going too fast.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM

thanks for the comments ladies and gents, i'll report back later on this week about the commute ~_~

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,037 times
Quote:
Concur with what others have said.

I took a job in the Maryland suburbs that was "only 30 some miles from home" (home being SE DC near the PG County border) and thought Well hey, it's only 35 miles! No biggie! plus I was reverse commuting so figured it couldn't be that bad. Dear God was I wrong. My commute was stealing my soul - I'd come home exhausted and pissed off, couldn't motivate myself to do much of anything but sit there. I've commuted in other cities and LOVE to drive but this was killing me, to where I felt ill at the thought of having to get in my car every day.

Let me tell you... after my first 2 hour commute home, I was already over it. The stop and go will destroy you more than anything else. Thankfully my boss was also a psycho so I was able to quit and haven't been happier now that I don't have to deal with ANY of that.

Test it out during what will be your commute time so you have more realistic expectations (my 35 mile trip took about an hour in the morning and up to two hours in the evening, usually more like 1 1/2 hours on an average night). At least you have an end date to look forward to in a few weeks or months when your soul is being ripped out of your body by the road.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 PM

85 posts, read 232,828 times
I reverse commute to Shaw. My drive is 4.5 miles; took me 40 minutes today at 3 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC