U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM

709 posts, read 961,611 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

The development plan for the Union Station air rights project, known as Burnham Place, was unveiled today. Akridge is the master developer and is working with Amtrak to overhaul the Union Station complex.

Highlights of the plan:

- Platform will be built to make a 14-acre development site above the tracks into Union Station
- 1.5 million square feet of office space
- 1,300 residential units
- 500 hotel rooms
- 100,000 square feet of retail
- 6 new underground tracks for high speed rail
- New north entrance to Union Station to be built
- Pedestrian/cyclist greenway built above the metro tracks leading into Union Station metro station

Sources:

www.burnhamplace.com

Amtrak to propose $7 billion overhaul at Union Station - The Washington Post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,599,189 times
Looks cool, but I'm not sure where they think they can get the budget for this. $7 billion is a ridiculous amount of money.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM

11,083 posts, read 21,781,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Looks cool, but I'm not sure where they think they can get the budget for this. $7 billion is a ridiculous amount of money.
Does the 7 billion include all the private development and other amtrak infrastructure/rolling stock besides the new tunnels? Article doesn't really say.

It's good they are thinking big though. This country need to invest in true high speed rail and DC would be a great place to build a hub for the Northeast corridor.

Regardless, this is a long term master plan. 7 billion for a major national transportation hub and all supporting infrastructure that is decades from being a done deal is probably not all that unrealistic and probably similar (after inflation) to what it cost to build the original station and tracks etc in 1900.

So much of this country's infrastructure needs to be replaced or upgraded. This is the kind of stuff we should be spending money on. (so long as the tax payers are not paying for the condo towers above it).

Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM

30,065 posts, read 30,280,265 times
How does the streetcar fit into this?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How does the streetcar fit into this?
I don't think amtrak gives a rip about the streetcars . There will be a streetcar stop at or near the station I'm sure.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't think amtrak gives a rip about the streetcars . There will be a streetcar stop at or near the station I'm sure.
I just know that DC wanted to acquire rights to run track through that area and Amtrak told them to go to hell. Now I see why....apparently they had much bigger fish to fry. I'm just wondering if this will effectively spell doom for the streetcars. Even if Amtrak works out a deal with the city, it will be many years down the road before a streetcar runs from H Street NE into NW.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I just know that DC wanted to acquire rights to run track through that area and Amtrak told them to go to hell. Now I see why....apparently they had much bigger fish to fry. I'm just wondering if this will effectively spell doom for the streetcars. Even if Amtrak works out a deal with the city, it will be many years down the road before a streetcar runs from H Street NE into NW.
DC can barely afford to finish the start streetcar lines it has that run on surface streets. How in the world would they be able to tunnel under union station? And who in their right mind would do that anyway? Streetcars are very low volume, low speed modes of transit. Hardly worth the cost of building subway tunnels for them. I think the streetcars are great for DC and making DC more livable and transit friendly. But they are basically pretty city buses and very much an afterthought when talking about major improvements to subway, commuter rail and high speed regional rail (or even light rail). You can add streetcars any time pretty easily.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM

709 posts, read 961,611 times
Quote:
Does the 7 billion include all the private development and other amtrak infrastructure/rolling stock besides the new tunnels? Article doesn't really say.
The $7 billion is for the Amtrak high speed rail hub and is a separate project from Akridge's air rights development. Akridge's development is estimated at $1.5 billion.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Honestly, if they're going to spend this much money on a project, they should throw around some cash to build an additional metro line.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM

11,214 posts, read 13,046,822 times
Quote:
DC can barely afford to finish the start streetcar lines it has that run on surface streets. How in the world would they be able to tunnel under union station? And who in their right mind would do that anyway? Streetcars are very low volume, low speed modes of transit. Hardly worth the cost of building subway tunnels for them. I think the streetcars are great for DC and making DC more livable and transit friendly. But they are basically pretty city buses and very much an afterthought when talking about major improvements to subway, commuter rail and high speed regional rail (or even light rail). You can add streetcars any time pretty easily.

From everyone in the know on the streetcar project in DC, China will be paying for them now and the private sector will be taking over the project. Most of the lines are still projected to be complete by 2020. Stay tuned for more details over the coming year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC