Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,553,771 times

Advertisements

There is a Trader Joe's in DC and it's close to Dupont. It's at 1101 25th St NW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
This place? http://www.rodmans.com/ I'll pass it on - Thanks!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM

132 posts, read 353,290 times
There used to be a Latino grocery store near 14th & N NW. Not sure if it's still there but if so they have great deals and not far from Dupont.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM

361 posts, read 850,318 times
There are number of Asian/Chinese grocery stores that are metro accessible-ish in Falls Church, Rockville and Wheaton (Great Wall, H Mart are they ones I've been to). Also, many of the independent city grocery stores carry African, Latin American, Asian and Ethiopian foods and spices. They tend to be, um, not-so-clean sometimes, but that can be part of the adventure. A number of foodies types I know also often trek to the wholesale markets at the D.C. Farmer's Market on Florida.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM

2,477 posts, read 3,483,820 times
There are some hidden ones: Hana is really quite good, and not much more expensive than the supermarkets in the burbs. Capitol Market on 11th has a surprisingly in-depth selection of Latin American and Asian (particularly Korean) foods, hidden behind a scruffy facade. One of the produce stands at Eastern Market has a wide selection of Asian sauces, as does both the aforementioned Chinatown Market and the New Da Hsin Trading Company in Chinatown. Larger supermarkets, like Harris Teeter or the newer Safeways, have pretty good selections as well.

It might be worth heading to Rockville, Wheaton, or Falls Church to stock up once in a great while, but by and large you can probably find what you need within the city.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,867,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
There's Chinatown Market off of H street - not a whole lot of variety to choose from though.

I think her best bet would be to Zipcar it out to Arlington/Falls Church over the weekend and stock up to her hearts content - vast, vast range of international grocery options to choose from. I'm sure there'd be public transportation running to both places from NW too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
There are number of Asian/Chinese grocery stores that are metro accessible-ish in Falls Church, Rockville and Wheaton (Great Wall, H Mart are they ones I've been to). Also, many of the independent city grocery stores carry African, Latin American, Asian and Ethiopian foods and spices. They tend to be, um, not-so-clean sometimes, but that can be part of the adventure. A number of foodies types I know also often trek to the wholesale markets at the D.C. Farmer's Market on Florida.
Yep, you're gonna want to head out to the burbs if you want to find more variety in ethnic food. Falls Church is too far from the area OP's daughter is in. In Wheaton, MD, there is a H mart (a Korean grocer) on GA ave which is a good one.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 AM

585 posts, read 2,006,964 times
What kind of "ethnic"? I had luck finding some hard-to-find stuff at a Latin market in Alexandria, they also carry some of the good Asian stuff you can't get at white folks' stores like Safeway/Giant.

Also, there's already Trader Joe's in DC proper in NW.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:11 AM

71 posts, read 266,068 times
I think ethnic may be too general a phrase - after all, everyone is ethnic. Try to be more specific. There are lots of neighborhood shops that will have food and spices. There are tons of Ethiopian, Spanish and Asian stores around.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,348,814 times
most of them got priced out.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
I wasn't specific because she's cooks a lot of different foods from Chinese to Thai, to Mexican to Indian, etc. The only thing that is the same is they are vegetarian and spicy. Somehow I thought there wasn't a TJ's around her. I'm glad to hear that there is. Thanks for suggestions, I'll pass them on.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC