U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

13,150 posts, read 31,700,903 times

Advertisements

My daughter has recently moved to the NW area. Her place of work is just South of DuPont Circle. She is an adventurous cook and has gotten used to being able to get spicy and unusual ingredients at international type grocery stores where she has lived before. She has not had any luck finding an ethnic/international grocery store around her and when I did an on-line search I couldn't either. Not looking for something outside of public transportation areas. Help!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 AM

2,073 posts, read 3,371,682 times
I went to Yelp.com and searched for "ethnic grocery" in DC and got a few options, such as Danny's Tindahan in Tenleytown and El Progresso Grocery in Mount Pleasant. Both would be easily accessible on public transportation, but I haven't been to either so I can't give you a specific recommendation. You can read reviews on Yelp, though.

Also, the Whole Foods at 14th and P might have some of the things she is looking for.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,711,198 times
There's a Japanese grocery right at the border of Dupont/Adams Morgan. It's called Hana's.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks - those are ones I found on-line too. I did google map and yelp searches. I guess I was thinking that perhaps there was one or two out there that weren't on-line. I'm guessing she's found the Whole Foods, but doesn't want to pay the whole paycheck...

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,194,829 times
There's Chinatown Market off of H street - not a whole lot of variety to choose from though.

I think her best bet would be to Zipcar it out to Arlington/Falls Church over the weekend and stock up to her hearts content - vast, vast range of international grocery options to choose from. I'm sure there'd be public transportation running to both places from NW too.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Well, she did rent a zipcar a week or so ago... Where would she go?

Realtors, See This.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

2,073 posts, read 3,371,682 times
Is Whole Foods so expensive that you could spend money on a zipcar and go to another grocery store and still save money overall?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM

720 posts, read 1,490,425 times
if you want some nice spices check out Farmers market area on Florida Avenue as well

Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Is Whole Foods so expensive that you could spend money on a zipcar and go to another grocery store and still save money overall?
Good point! I'm not the one doing the shopping but the selection at Whole Foods is pretty different then most International grocery stores and for a bargain hunter it's painful to pay big bucks for certain types of rice when you know it can be had for much less elsewhere. I'm sure she'll figure out what she wants to do, I was just looking for options that neither of us had found.

Personally, we both prefer Trader Joe's over Whole Foods. What's the scoop on one of those coming to DC?

Good suggestion about the Farmers markets. Thanks!

Realtors, See This.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 62,974 times
Has she tried Rodman's in Friendship Heights? For a "regular" grocery store, it has a more diverse international grocery section than say Safeway or Giant. Prices aren't too bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC