Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineDS07 View Post
What if we lived really close to his job, like in Sterling or Reston.... somewhere in that area. Would I be doing a reverse commute and looking at maybe 90 minutes?
Sorry for all the questions.... the DMV commuting stuff is so confusing to me
Then you get the 2.5 commute honestly I dont know how you make your situation work. The problem is that you not only have the bridges to contend with - which would be enough of a problem alone, but also ended up with jobs with basically all of DC between the two. That either leaves you going through DC, which is a total non starter, or going around it, which while probably not as bad is still awful.

Put differently, you'd be hard pressed to have found a worse situation. I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I really think one of you is going to go clinical with these distances. Can you negotiate flex hours or work from home arrangements? Even just 2 days a week would be a big help. Are these companies with more than one office? Can you arrange to work from one of the closer in options periodically? Get creative. Is either firm a tech company or otherwise "hip" (and therefore more likely to allow telecommuting?) . What about overnighting near your office in a hotel 2 nights a week? You might be able to make that work if you approach a GM at a hotel and ask for a special rate. You are far enough out there that you might even be able to rent a room from someone and just use it 1 night a week...Again, I'd get creative.

On the plus side, your budget is reasonable for most areas, so you at least don't have that to throw you off.

Finally if you want me to look for postings at my company, send me a PM with some idea of what to look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Live in Severna Park. It's a pretty area. The commute will be a killer, but if your husband has to be at work at 7AM, he'll only be on the road about 3 hours a day.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Live in Severna Park. It's a pretty area. The commute will be a killer, but if your husband has to be at work at 7AM, he'll only be on the road about 3 hours a day.
The return trip would be killer. He might make it to work in 1.5 hours, but the way back would be insane, imagine if something like an accident happened ... which is to say imagine a normal day... We'd be talking 3 hours for the return alone.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 PM

114 posts, read 185,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Then you get the 2.5 commute honestly I dont know how you make your situation work. The problem is that you not only have the bridges to contend with - which would be enough of a problem alone, but also ended up with jobs with basically all of DC between the two. That either leaves you going through DC, which is a total non starter, or going around it, which while probably not as bad is still awful.

Put differently, you'd be hard pressed to have found a worse situation. I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I really think one of you is going to go clinical with these distances. Can you negotiate flex hours or work from home arrangements? Even just 2 days a week would be a big help. Are these companies with more than one office? Can you arrange to work from one of the closer in options periodically? Get creative. Is either firm a tech company or otherwise "hip" (and therefore more likely to allow telecommuting?) . What about overnighting near your office in a hotel 2 nights a week? You might be able to make that work if you approach a GM at a hotel and ask for a special rate. You are far enough out there that you might even be able to rent a room from someone and just use it 1 night a week...Again, I'd get creative.

On the plus side, your budget is reasonable for most areas, so you at least don't have that to throw you off.

Finally if you want me to look for postings at my company, send me a PM with some idea of what to look for.
Yea I think I'm probably gonna need to change jobs the more I think about it. We even thought maybe living in DC wouldn't be too bad but I think thats out of our budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC