Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times

Advertisements

Don't confuse niceness with fakeness. The west is more polite on the surface, doesn't mean they mean it. It's better for customer service, but that's about it. All the other problems mentioned by kelly are common in west coast cities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Don't confuse niceness with fakeness. The west is more polite on the surface, doesn't mean they mean it. It's better for customer service, but that's about it. All the other problems mentioned by kelly are common in west coast cities too.
Thats mostly in SoCal ( I hate Orange County BTW). I was talking about Central and Northern California, Washington and Oregon. And I meant a more laid back kind of niceness not the fakeness that you see in the DC Area as well.

Plus how can you beat having places like Yosemite, Red Woods, Monterrey, Napa, Pacific Coast Highway etc. in your backyard? That alone trumps anything on the East Coast.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Anywhere on the West Coast is better...the people are much nicer out there and plus the amazing natural beauty. Maybe its the natural beauty of the West Coast and the weather that makes people out there nicer. And there is hardly any Russian presence in DC. Its mostly white and black americans and some hispanics thrown in the mix.
HAHAHA I was with you until you said "anywhere on the West Coast" - are you familiar with the expression "the grass is always greener"?

LA is cutthroat. The traffic is just as bad if not worse. You better be an 11 or else you'll be dissed by every 8 with a trust fund trying to make it as an actor.

SF is MORE disgusting than DC ever could be. The rents are worse. Traffic isn't so bad but if you own a car, you're a scumbag for killing the environment and better budget a few extra hundo for parking tickets since that city deficit ain't gonna pay itself. Oh and prepare for 10% sales tax! That'll sure make "nice" people turn mean real quick. But you will get a lot of Russians - be careful though, a lot of them are mafia'd up and you don't want to screw with them. Some of them are great though.

Portland isn't so bad from what I hear but everyone else has heard that too and a lot of my friends from both California and the East Coast are heading up there. Give it a few years and suddenly it'll be the same sort of "ugh, everyone here sucks" story.

The "beauty" of the West Coast doesn't do you much good when you're working 6 days a week just to afford your 400 sq ft closet apartment in San Francisco. And I certainly wouldn't say people are "nicer," they are definitely more laid-back but that isn't always a good thing.

Careful what you wish for, everything looks better when you're looking at it from the outside.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Thats mostly in SoCal ( I hate Orange County BTW). I was talking about Central and Northern California, Washington and Oregon. And I meant a more laid back kind of niceness not the fakeness that you see in the DC Area as well.

Plus how can you beat having places like Yosemite, Red Woods, Monterrey, Napa, Pacific Coast Highway etc. in your backyard? That alone trumps anything on the East Coast.
SoCal is the epicenter of fakeness, but that's the attitude in other parts too, even WA and OR. East coast is much realer, no comparison. If you like nature so much then it might suit you though. You don't have the same culture life over there so that's the trade off. People are also less sophisticated than east, esp in places like WA and OR, life is more primitive and easy going kinda like average america, but that's a plus for some people, not for me though. All depends what kinda person you are.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
HAHAHA I was with you until you said "anywhere on the West Coast" - are you familiar with the expression "the grass is always greener"?

LA is cutthroat. The traffic is just as bad if not worse. You better be an 11 or else you'll be dissed by every 8 with a trust fund trying to make it as an actor.

SF is MORE disgusting than DC ever could be. The rents are worse. Traffic isn't so bad but if you own a car, you're a scumbag for killing the environment and better budget a few extra hundo for parking tickets since that city deficit ain't gonna pay itself. Oh and prepare for 10% sales tax! That'll sure make "nice" people turn mean real quick. But you will get a lot of Russians - be careful though, a lot of them are mafia'd up and you don't want to screw with them. Some of them are great though.

Portland isn't so bad from what I hear but everyone else has heard that too and a lot of my friends from both California and the East Coast are heading up there. Give it a few years and suddenly it'll be the same sort of "ugh, everyone here sucks" story.

The "beauty" of the West Coast doesn't do you much good when you're working 6 days a week just to afford your 400 sq ft closet apartment in San Francisco. And I certainly wouldn't say people are "nicer," they are definitely more laid-back but that isn't always a good thing.

Careful what you wish for, everything looks better when you're looking at it from the outside.
Portland isn't so good either. Job market is terrible, too many hippies, too many crazy white people wilding off meth, too many gays, too liberal, weak liberal gay mayor that doesn't know how to handle the increasing crime. Gray to sunny unstable weather always gives headaches. Portland was always wack, but at least it was nice and quiet b4, now it has all the big city problems without the big city amenities. Whoever thinks about Portland, might as well move to Seattle-much better even though I wouldn't live there either.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Anyway, this is not a city vs city thread so additional info on DC will be appreciated. I wonder why there is not that many Russians, as opposed to NYC, Philly and Boston. Maybe we are not trusted any govt jobs due to the spy risk. lol

Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,960 times
Quote:
Anyway, this is not a city vs city thread so additional info on DC will be appreciated. I wonder why there is not that many Russians, as opposed to NYC, Philly and Boston. Maybe we are not trusted any govt jobs due to the spy risk. lol
Because DC is a relatively newer city in the sense that not many people were moving here until 10 years back or so. Most immigrants used to move to NYC and Boston, not DC.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
OP, interestingly enough, I'm trying to make the move from DC to Portland, OR.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 PM

heh^
Think hard about that one. Everything I said is true. Feel free to DM if you wanna know more. I walked the Portland streets for 10.5 yrs.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
heh^
Think hard about that one. Everything I said is true. Feel free to DM if you wanna know more. I walked the Portland streets for 10.5 yrs.
I see. I'm really doing the Portland thing because that's where my company's office is, this is more of an Oregon move than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC